snake bite

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can sympathize with Buddy, steroid shots for my arthritis always make me ravenous. In people the steroids can make them pee a lot too. Ask me how I know, :-(.

Give him a scratch and a pat from me. Hopefully he is over the hump and smooth sailing is ahead.

Apart from the wetting and the food theft form the table , he sounds like he is making good progress, If he was off his food , id be worried.

Poor little man, I hope he back to his old self soon
default_smile.png

I sent a picture of the red abdomen to the vet and she thinks the venom is causing hemorrhaging. She started him on a long, strong dose of steroids. I am dreading this, as steroids do some tricky things. She said the risk of the steroid is less than not doing it.

Now I am reading more about the copperhead bite online. I am regretting the antivenom. I think he would have done better just recovering from the venom itself.

But how can one know? We just have to trust the professional.

What would happen if they had not given the antivenom? I am not familiar at all with snake bites and treatments. I will keep Buddy in my thoughts. This whole ordeal sounds miserable for you both.

Buddy is doing fine. Winding down on the steroids. I'm not sure the treatment regimen was appropriate. Who could know? But, he's fine so that is what counts. The steroid has its own challenges. He is still wetting in the house. We have to take him out at least once an hour. I keep him on a leash in the house and in the crate if I have to leave home. Caught him lifting his leg on the kitchen island. Husband yelled at him and he tried to stop. When the steroids are over, this behavior better stop. I don't know if he can't control it, or doesn't care if he does. He is rummaging in the compost pile and competing with the chickens over tidbits. I'm trying to feed him small portions throughout the day; hopefully this will help with the raging hunger.

I've started taking him on my walks and drives again. When I leave him behind, he howls.

That snake has a lot to answer for.

How is Buddy? Is he off the steroids now? Hope he is back to his old self.
He is on the down side of the steroids. Still must watch him like a hawk to wet in the house. And I still find him scavenging in the compost. He eats lay crumbles with the girls, but I figure that little dab won't hurt him in the short term. Poor little starving beastie! I hope that behavior goes away when he's finished with the steroids.

Thanks for the update. I hope the appetite slows down soon or he will have to follow you and DD on your drives instead of riding shotgun so he can work off the chub, lol. I am glad he is feeling better. I bet he is a lot of company for you as you go about your day.

Tonight hubby brought home some bbq. It is sliced onto a waxed paper then put into styrofoam. We always give Buddy the styrofoam/paper thing to polish. I looked around tonight and he had eaten the waxed paper. Good thing I got the styrofoam box away in time. This is getting ridiculous.

Sounds like he's back to his old self? LOL.

Glad to hear he is home and gradually getting back to his old self. Hopefully the ravishing appetite will disappear soon
default_smile.png

We backed off on the steroid and did not leave him on it as long as prescribed. Health wise I think he is pretty much back to normal, but he is much more "needy" than he used to be. I do think he is drinking a lot more than normal, so we keep alert to let him out often. Darn snake.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how he was doing. That was quite an ordeal he went through. Did he go on vacation with you?

Did you ever see the snake again?

Latest posts

Back