snake bite

35 replies to this topic

#1 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

Working in my flower bed this morning and my rat terrier yelps.  Lots of wasps right now and they are sort of aggressive, so that is what I figured it was.  But there were two little drops of blood--fang length apart--on his nose.  It didn't swell much at first, but it got worse so I took him to the vet.  Looked all around for a snake, but never saw one.  Vet said there was definite venom sign, bruising inside the lip and hemorrhaging.  They wanted to keep him; give him a steroid and antibiotic shot.  I believe it was a copperhead.  They are more likely to hide than a rattlesnake.  And there was a very unpleasant odor; internet says that is something copperheads do.   Hopefully they will call me later to pick him up, or they may keep him overnight.  Poor little guy. 

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,230 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

Prayers for a speedy recovery for your pup.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Bonny, Dolly, Baybe, Bliss, and Sophia
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

#3 Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

Ohhh no , I hope he is back home with you soon. Poor little guy, glad you noticed the bite marks before the venom had a chance to do anything.

TayJay Miniature Horses

Victoria , Australia 

#4 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

They kept him overnight.  After the steroid shot, the swelling didn't get worse, but it didn't go down either.  They want to give him another in the morning and watch him. I keep looking for the snake, but haven't seen it yet.  Everything is rather lush due to the recent rains.  I don't know whether it would go into my water  garden or not.

#5 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

Poor fella, he has been on my mind all day, since I read your first post. I was hoping he would be home with you tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed that he will be as good as new ASAP.

#6 Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Sounds like the best place for him till they can get him back to 100%.

Do you get many snakes Marsha ?

TayJay Miniature Horses

Victoria , Australia 

#7 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

We do have copperheads here occasionally, but rattlesnakes are the most troublesome.  We have other snakes, too, but they are harmless. Pink racers, coachwhip, gopher snake, bull snake, garter snake... This is the time of year when rattlesnakes begin to move back to their dens, so we keep watchful.  Copperheads are hard to see and shy, so we don't see them much.  We have only seen two rattlesnakes so far this year.  Haven't seen a copperhead in several years.

#8 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

Swelling had worsened with Buddy in the night so they are going to give him antivenom today.  Vet said there should be positive results within a few hours after that.  They are keeping him another night.  They were not sure whether to give the antivenom yesterday, I suppose, since I could not identify the snake, but they found out it can be used for copperheads also.  They are both pit vipers so I guess their venom works the same.  Those are the only poisonous snakes here.   The antivenom is $250.  Poor little guy.  He's a house dog, for pete's sake.  He only goes outside if I am out there, and I was just a few feet away when he was bitten.  We look for the snake every time we go out.  Internet says they are ambushers.  They don't hunt, they lay in ambush for prey.  They bite, then wait for prey to die before devouring.  I guess Buddy's little black nose looked like something to eat. 

#9 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Oh I am sorry to hear that! How long does it take for the anti venom to start to work? We don't have poisonous snakes around here except for one small region that has rattlers. We do have a plethora of garden snakes!though.

Keeping Buddy in my thoughts and prayers.
  • PintoPalLover likes this

#10 Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

Oh poor buddy , i hope the antivenom does the trick and he is back home with you soon.

The snakes we have at home are all poisonous

Red belly Black

Tiger Snake

Copperhead

Brown Snake

King Brown ( which is usually up higher north)

Im very much an "animal" lover but not snakes, I just cant warm to them, so to speak.

• Cayuse likes this

TayJay Miniature Horses

Victoria , Australia 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users