An Eight hitch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LOVE IT - when you share your experiences! How AWESOME that is!!!

I can't even imagine how tired your hands, arms & shoulders are after that first drive! Or maybe not, since you've been driving regularly?

Are you able to do the lines and hitch a 4-up by yourself? If so, divulge your secrets!!! I'd love to know.

I can do a hitch of a 3-abreast by myself, but not a 4 abreast or 4-up of 40-44" ponies. Honestly, I think part of it may BE actual fear or trepidation. I know the power of the 4...
default_smile.png

I teach my horse's to stand. Whoa means whoa. My wheelers are really good at standing once hitched. I then back my lead into place, tell them whoa and run the lines. If it's a green pair in front then I will leave them tied to the hitch rail till I'm ready to mount the box then undo the halters. They usually will stand because the fence is in front of them.

I wouldn't recommend driving a four by yourself for safety reasons, however, we must sometimes do what we have to do to get where we want to be. I'm pretty confident in my minis and know their personalities and who is likely to cause an issue. I am on high alert when working by myself and have a game plan whenever I drive, even when I have help.

Another successful drive under our harness yesterday! Drove about forty minutes total. We practiced transitions, backing,docking and threading a few cones. So much fun! I will need to start working out on the weight machine to build my strength in my back, shoulders and arms.

If you would like to watch our first ever docking attempt with the eight, you can watch it here on YouTube. https://youtu.be/UweeBKJ5yUc

And here is the link to our trip through the cones with eight!

https://youtu.be/5Dxnd31FkYc

That is impressive! The cones are interesting to me, you have to think so much further ahead with eight than one. I stink at cones with just one, I have posted this before, hubby's nickname for me is "cone killer" lol, so seeing you get all eight and a wagon through them amazes me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! Yes, driving an eight keeps you thinking continually. You must think ahead of the turns at the corners, think of your reins, think of who needs to step it up or easy back. The swings for docking is even harder because everyone must move at a different pace on the swing. The leaders need to really move, swing horses a little slower, body horses even slower and the wheelers keep it all anchored for the pivot. So much is going on while doing an eight, at least twice what is going on when driving a six! But it is something that I am really enjoying!

This is incredible!
default_worshippy.gif

My non-horsey Hubby decided recently he wants me to get a huge team of minis for him to drive.... and as fun as that would be, I'm still trying to figure out one! Sooooooo not going to happen for a long long long time! I had just read your post here for the first time when he brought it up and I need to show it to him.
default_rolleyes.gif

Anyways, I love your videos. Makes my arms tired just watching haha. I look forward to many many more!

Also, hope you are doing well too!

I've not weighed the reins at my hands yet, but plan on doing it next time I drive them. I am using the same rein technique that the big draft drivers use. Lead reins over the top finger down through hand, the other three in order with their tails up and out the top, over the thumb.

Latest posts

Back