Corral

22 replies to this topic

#11 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

What closures do your have on your gates?   Jim welded a chain to the original gate.  The ring can snap onto the cattle panel if we want to keep the gate open. 

Sometimes it's a little inconvenient to hook the chain while inside the corral, but it's doable.  I've never had a horse that could open a gate hooked this way.

Attached Thumbnails

• gate chain.jpg

• Debby - LB likes this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#12 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,230 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

All my gates have chains, many wrap all the way around the post and back to the gate which has a slot for the chain.
  • Cayuse likes this
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Bonny, Dolly, Baybe, Bliss, and Sophia
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

#13 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

All my gates have chains, many wrap all the way around the post and back to the gate which has a slot for the chain.

I have those, too, but Rowdy could get them off.  I had to put an extra snap on the chain.

• Miniv likes this

#14 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,442 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

We use chains that wrap all the way around, like Chanda's.  But we also use a clip because we have a couple of savvy escape artists who figured out how to unravel the chain!

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#15 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

Cut off the long posts today and hooked up a new water hose.  Officially finished today.  Our little rat terrier had trouble crawling under the gate, so I think the corral will be more secure from wild animals than before.  On to the next project!

Animal enclosures are called different things in different parts of the country.  I grew up on the western prairies and animal enclosures are always called corrals.   Or sometimes just a "lot". 

• chandab and Cayuse like this

#16 Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

It has turned out well Marsha , I also wrap my chains right the way round the post, I also have one Houdini mini :) 

TayJay Miniature Horses

Victoria , Australia 

#17 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Breeding miniature horses and Shetland ponies of color as well as miniature Mediterranean donkeys. Also raising pheasants and india blue peafowl, super African geese, bantam cochins and New Zealand rabbits. I enjoy training horses to jump and drive as well as riding hunter seat and saddleseat equitation.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

The corral looks great! Today while cleaning the steers yard we had 3 seperate escape attempts! Clover, Homer and Murphy, my big holstein steers hate being locked in the barn while we scrape the yard, so they kept unchaining the gates with their tongues. I got so mad that I put a bolt with nuts and washers on every gate chain to keep them locked in. Snaps, hooks, and clips are no match for these guys so I resorted to bolts. Hopefully, none of them will play with it enough to be able to swallow the hardware, I did tighten with a wrench.
  • Cayuse likes this

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#18 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

I have a chain that wraps around and snaps onto itself. On my wooden gate lined with "no climb" I have a slide bolt and then tie it with baling twine around the middle for that "added security" that only baling twine can give. We keep meaning to upgrade to a chain on that gate but never get a round to it.
  • amysue likes this

#19 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

My old corral gate had a slide bolt.  I had a horse that could open it.  I had to put a chain around  it.   I can see a steer's tongue opening pretty near any fastener if he made up his mind!

#20 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

Yay!  Our very own hay!  Jim shredded the front yard, raked it with his "new" auction rake, and our neighbor has a small baler.  We got 17 bales of native grass hay!  No fertilizer, no herbicide.  It was interesting the watch the baler at work, and Jim learned how to make the adjustments.  It's complicated.  We can better appreciate now when bales are uniform in length and compactness!  He'll know better next time, also, how to rake it up for the baler.

Attached Thumbnails

• making hay.jpg

• Miniv, Debby - LB, Ryan Johnson and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users