Corral

22 replies to this topic

#1 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,450 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:13 PM

You may remember we tore down our old corral in the spring.  Finally, we are getting it back together.  It's amazing how much I miss it.  The hardest part was leveling the area.  Box blade with teeth, then the Land Leveler to contour the area so the runoff from the mountain will go around instead of through the corral area.  We got two corner posts set.  Figuring out the dimensions to match the cattle panels and runway panels and gate was tricky.  I want to use the old runway panels for part of the east section, as they are good wind baffles and good to hang buckets/hay bags on.  The rest will be cattle panels.  We have a big pile of utility poles to use for corners and gate posts.  I'm still running the magnet over the area constantly and still picking up corroded nails and metal bits.  I'd like to know what in the world was in the area originally to generate so much metal debris.

In a perfect world, I would have electricity there, but that isn't going to happen for now.

So, which of your areas would you have the most trouble doing without for nearly a year? 

• Cayuse likes this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

Im the same, I have a little yard with an open stable that I would be at a loss without. Its critical that I am able to use it during spring and autumn when One of my little ones is prone to laminitis.

• Cayuse likes this

TayJay Miniature Horses

Victoria , Australia 

#3 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,450 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Yes, I have missed my corral as I use as a dry lot.  I've had to keep mine confined in the horse motel.  It's roomy, but not as nice as the corral because it is so enclosed.  They don't get to watch everything going on.  We must get the corral finished before the auodad rutting season.  I don't think an auodad can get into the corral, so my horses should be safe there.

• Ryan Johnson likes this

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

I would miss my small paddock. It has just barely enough grass to keep them nibbling and browisng but not enough to make them fat. It's almost a dry lot but not quite.
  • chandab, Marsha Cassada and Ryan Johnson like this

#5 candycar

candycar

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

I couldn't live without any of it!  But think I would miss the pasture the most.  Without it I would have to hand graze three horses and pick grass for the mule. :yes   

• chandab and Cayuse like this

JELLY BEAN DELL
Loving home of:
Mini Meadows Gypsy Delight (Jelly Bean) Mare, 35.5 AMHR
Mini Meadows Midnight Lexus (Lexy) Mare, 36.5 AMHR
Coco Puff Mini Molly Mule, 30

Rock E Horse (Rocky) Gelding, 30 

#6 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,438 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

I agree that losing ANY would be rough...... We have lots of pasture and paddocks with grass which cuts down on how much hay they get. But dry lots are ESSENTIAL too!

• chandab and Ryan Johnson like this
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#7 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,450 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

The corral is basically finished.  Just have to finish the partition in the middle and cut the tall posts to the correct size.  They are original posts and were salvageable in position; just need cosmetic treatment.  The bare earth around the perimeter is where he graded for water runoff.  You can see it's a problem because of the mountain.  We feel it is successful because while digging the new holes for the posts, the dirt was dry all the way down.  Normally, it would have been saturated.  Grass should fill in there.  Posts are surplus utility poles set 16' apart, 2' in the ground, with two T posts between each for the cattle panels. 

We were used to the tin wind break across the side and back, so it feels weird and exposed  now, but we'll all get used to it.

There never was a home at this site, just the old corral.  It was easy to know why it was chosen as a site for the animals, as it is a naturally protected area.  The wind was blowing all around us, but the corral area was calm. (Not the best on a 100 degree day while setting posts!)

Attached Thumbnails

• corral.jpg

• Miniv, madmax, KLJcowgirl and 2 others like this

#8 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

DD looks happy and snug in his spiffed up home.

#9 KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Camping, Crafting

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

I love it!  Very nice work.  Now you can breathe a nice relaxed breath haha

:CheekKiss Duggan & Miss May :wub 

:charge 

#10 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,450 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

We don't think auodads can get into it, unless they go under the gates.  Hopefully, they won't be that anxious to get into a confined space to try it.

I think there is risk with the runway panels and cattle panels, but there is risk with everything, and both have worked for us for more than 15 years, so we will continue to use them.

So glad we got it finished as the mesquites are now dropping seed pods.  They are full of sugar and horses love them.  Even more important to have a dry lot now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users