Grain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I asked a local cowboy where I could find timothy hay. He said he didn't know the guy." OMG....TOO FUNNY!
I just got it, even though I read the original post earlier. LOL!

[i'm very tired, very long day, yesterday. I was just thinking he doesn't know the guy that sells timothy hay.]

Welcome to the forum Kelly.

I agree with everyones comments. I would be careful with the intake of pasture that he has access to. Between his cresty neck and his sore feet It is sounding like he is on the way to a laminitic episode.

I have one mare that has previously had laminitis and it really is a big shock watching a horse try to move around when they are in so much pain.

The positive out of this happening was it taught me alot. The biggest piece of advice I can offer you is to seriously limit his pasture time to 1-2 hour a day and if you have a grazing muzzle, use it. There are alot of people that cannot stand the sight of a horse wearing one and I will agree , they are not the most flattering things. BUT...... It does ensure that your horse is moving around instead of being locked up.

My laminitic mare has very limited access to pasture . She is not allowed on it during Autumn and spring , being in Australia, the sugar in the grass is at its highest at those times.

She has constant access to Good quality grass hay and a mineral block and she is given alfalfa/Lucerne hay & grass and clover hay in winter to boost protein and condition.

The other thing I would be doing is stop giving him treats , No apples No carrots , no sugar cubes , Nothing sweet . In replacement of these items you could give him some Pumpkin flesh as its lower in sugar and great for the coat.

I really think you need to act now before its too late. Sorry If this on the scarier side of a post , but I learnt the hard way and I would hate for you to have too aswell
default_smile.png

Ask any questions you like , everyones friendly here
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back