Help with my hook up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the breaching straps look really good to me. the breaching is a little high though, down one hole and if that doesn't work put it down on the other side too. yes it's that close.

i agree with Cayuse about the wrap straps.

you are doing great, and by the way , you can wrap the breaching straps once, or 5 times. no limit. i had a horrible time with that part.good luck, vey pretty little girl you have, and i love the flag.

Thank you so much! I do think she's quite a purty girl... but I'm a bit biased
default_smile.png

Side story (speaking of her looks)... One of the first drives I took with her hooked up to the cart, I had a dad and his kids pointing at her and jumping up and down yelling "It's Lil' Sebastian!" Oh that made my night! Much better than the usual "Look! A baby horse!" (Hoping someone else here enjoys Parks & Recreation...
default_pray.gif
)

Anyways... I'll fiddle with the breeching again tonight. Glad the hold backs look good, took me a while to get them how I wanted!

Cayuse - You're correct. The strap is going through the footman's loop in photo #5. I don't have any photos of a wrap strap because I never use one. I think the description of how to buckle it was a good one. About 50 years ago, when I was learning to drive Shetland roadster ponies the harness had a wrap strap on it. I was taught to put the wrap strap through the tug from back to front, then wrap in front of the tug, then in back of the tug. I think as long as it is secure enough so the shafts don't flip up when you get in the cart, you're fine. I would caution about making the wrap strap too tight.

KLJcowgirl - In your second hitching photo I think the breeching is in a good spot. I don't like how close the ends of the shafts are to the tugs. I would move Miss May back in the cart a bit. When you do that the footman's loop will be in a better place. One thing to realize - Just because a cart builder puts any fitting in a certain spot doesn't mean that's the best place for it.

And, no, you don't need tug stops. I like them and usually put them on any carriage I have. They're a little extra insurance.

I moved her farther back in the shafts yesterday, but I couldn't find a sweet spot with the tugs... Ugh. So she ended up too far back I think. She was pretty naughty last night so I'm thinking that she was finally telling me something was off haha. Or maybe she was just fresh after a couple weeks off...
default_smile.png

I took a picture of my wrap straps this morning. I hope this helps. I don't have to use thimbles on the shaft ends or tug stops with my set up this way but I do use the breeching. I don't buckle it down tight, but I make sure the wrap itself is tight and that both sides of the horse have equal pressure when it is buckled down so the don't feel lopsided.

DSCN0810.JPG

Latest posts

Back