What color is this horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightHorse

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying this little mare, but I'm curious what color she is for breeding purposes as I'm wanting to introduce some dilute shades. Her permanent AMHR papers have her listed as a cremello pinto, but the seller says she has no visible markings and he original breeders listed her that way because her skin isn't pink like a cremello should be. So my question is... is that a real thing? Or is that a mistake on the papers that never got caught and this is really a gray horse?

My other concern is that if she is genetically a paint, but has no markings, what pattern would that make her? Would it even be safe to breed her with my frame overo stallion?

Thank for any light you can shed! (Oh, and speaking of shedding, I've seen her shed-out picture too, but the seller's kids is in it so I didn't want to post it. It looks the same though, just less furry.)

18983347_1693382807622250_1771663569_n.jpg

18983201_1693380004289197_454957408_n.jpg

18944399_1693382730955591_306968615_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What color are her parents?

With dark skin and dark eyes, which they appear in these pictures, she can not be cremello. Cremello (all double cream dilutes, so perlino and smokey cream, too) have blue eyes and pinkish skin all over.

She certainly looks grey in these pictures, but greys aren't usually born grey, they lighten with age. She could have multiple patterns making her white all over, but again, the skin would likely be pinkish under all over white pattern.

With a Frame positive stallion, you want all mares bred to him tested negative for Frame, even mares that appear "solid", as Frame can show very minimal white, especially in minis.

My cremello (smaller) and smokey cream together at the left of the picture; you can see they have light eyes and light skin:

July 17, 2014 - 3.jpg

The smokey cream mare with her 2012 smoky silver dapple colt; you can see her pale skin and light eyes:

Bonny and foal - july 14, 2012 - 2.jpg

The cremello when she was less than a month old, you can clearly see her pale skin and light eyes:

Dolly - July 27, 2009 - edited cute.jpg

Agree with Chanda.......The dark eyes are what raised a flag with me. How old is she? She may have been born with pinto markings and GRAYED OUT, but that takes

a few years for the graying gene to fully cover the coat. Knowing what her parents' colors are is also important. If her parents don't carry a creme gene, she won't either.

I agree with both of Chandab and MiniV.

We have a cremello mare (tested by Animal Genetics) who carries a bay gene. She has pink skin and light colored eyes as well, but unlike paint horses with pink skin, she usually doesn't get sunburned.

Paintpony, a question about your mare....If she carries a bay gene, isn't she actually a perlino? Cremello and perlinos are very hard to tell the difference between visually.

Paintpony, a question about your mare....If she carries a bay gene, isn't she actually a perlino? Cremello and perlinos are very hard to tell the difference between visually.
Not if her extension is ee, so she is red based with double cream. Dominant Agouti doesn't show on red base, but they can carry it and pass it to their offspring. This is how a black and a red have a bay foal; the red carries dominant agouti.

Latest posts

Back