Photo

Babies Being Born Here....What else do YOU raise???

35 replies to this topic

#31 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Our chicks are 12 weeks old now.  Unfortunately, out of the 5, 3 are cockerels.  We will wait and see if any are mean/nice before deciding their fate.  I am letting them out to free range now and they are old enough to be sensible. Makes me nervous to have them out at risk, but they are so happy and content scratching around. They have already found all the safe places to siesta.  Moved them into the main house at night now.  Had to put them up on the roost, but I think they will figure it out.   The Buff in the second picture is their broody "mother". 

Attached Thumbnails

• chicks12weeks.jpg
  • roostermaybe.jpg

• Miniv, Debby - LB, amysue and 1 other like this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#32 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

Yay!  Two of the roosters left today for a new home.  They will each have a harem.  I am keeping Mr Yellow Legs, who eats from my hand and looks to be on his way to be a very handsome fellow.

• Miniv likes this

#33 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,442 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

I agree that personality is VERY important with roosters. We have one "old man" Standard Cochin who I've tried to get rid of because he's not very nice. And our spring/summer clutch of chicks has produced two cockerels. Our old man is the daddy to both. One of them also should go and I've become fond of the Cochin/Lavender Americana cross who looks like a male version of his mother. He's beautiful and KIND.

Every morning we listen to a crowing competition from all three......It would drive some people nuts, but it makes me smile. (Have to admit I encourage them by crowing back.)

• Debby - LB and PintoPalLover like this
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#34 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:40 AM

6 were born but one had fallen off the nest during the night. 

the other  5 are doing very well :)

How are they doing now?

#35 Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

I wish I could tell you...........   

It was about two weeks after they were born, I arrived home from work to find they had vanished. Mother and father and the five little ones. There is another big lake about 4 farms away and I have a feeling they may have gone walking in that direction.

The mother returned nightly for the next couple of weeks ( for some spinach, lettuce, grainy bread) , she was not stressed at all, so I have a good feeling they all made it safely to their next destination. I did find it strange at such a young age, the parents would lead them away from the nest. 

It was really interesting watching them work together to build their nest, right through to seeing the signets for the first time. 

I wish they had of stayed longer . You never know , I may see them return as a family  before they set off on their own adventures.

• Miniv, Debby - LB and PintoPalLover like this

TayJay Miniature Horses

Victoria , Australia 

#36 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

Off topic, but about swans:  I'm a button collector, and this unusual French livery button was shown on a group recently.  Just about every animal known--and unknown--to man shows up on a livery button.  This is the first swan livery button I've seen.

I've seen  goats, antelope, and sheep, but so far not an auodad...

Attached Thumbnails

• swan livery.JPG

• Miniv, Debby - LB and Ryan Johnson like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users