Babies Being Born Here....What else do YOU raise???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont raise them so to speak , but we have Cygnets on the way.

The Mother or Father has been on the nest now for two weeks and from the little research Ive done , they should be nesting for around 42 days.

Like clockwork the Mother or father ( as they take turns nesting) returns to our lake around sunset to take over the nesting. Both are quite friendly and spent around two weeks making the nest before the eggs were laid.

I dont raise them so to speak , but we have Cygnets on the way.

The Mother or Father has been on the nest now for two weeks and from the little research Ive done , they should be nesting for around 42 days.

Like clockwork the Mother or father ( as they take turns nesting) returns to our lake around sunset to take over the nesting. Both are quite friendly and spent around two weeks making the nest before the eggs were laid.
I heard some swan lore: they always build their nests above the highest water line. People don't understand how they know how high the water will ever be, but the swans know. They must be fascinating to watch.

Yes they are , I think they are much safer this year then when they nested a few years back. We didnt have the reeds that they have nested in this time, so they have much more protection from predators.

swan2.JPG

Swan1.JPG

Not too sure how many yet, But the signet eggs hatched sometime yesterday.

When i got home from work I noticed both swans were home. Usually one is returning around sunset. I went round to the back of the lake with some fresh bread and noticed the male wasnt too keen leaving the nest. When he finally did , I could see all these heads bobbing up and down.

From the research ive done they should leave the nest for the first time in a couple of days, so Ill be able to get some pics then.

6 were born but one had fallen off the nest during the night.

the other 5 are doing very well
default_smile.png

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

Our chicks are 12 weeks old now. Unfortunately, out of the 5, 3 are cockerels. We will wait and see if any are mean/nice before deciding their fate. I am letting them out to free range now and they are old enough to be sensible. Makes me nervous to have them out at risk, but they are so happy and content scratching around. They have already found all the safe places to siesta. Moved them into the main house at night now. Had to put them up on the roost, but I think they will figure it out. The Buff in the second picture is their broody "mother".

chicks12weeks.jpg

roostermaybe.jpg

Yay! Two of the roosters left today for a new home. They will each have a harem. I am keeping Mr Yellow Legs, who eats from my hand and looks to be on his way to be a very handsome fellow.

I agree that personality is VERY important with roosters. We have one "old man" Standard Cochin who I've tried to get rid of because he's not very nice. And our spring/summer clutch of chicks has produced two cockerels. Our old man is the daddy to both. One of them also should go and I've become fond of the Cochin/Lavender Americana cross who looks like a male version of his mother. He's beautiful and KIND.

Every morning we listen to a crowing competition from all three......It would drive some people nuts, but it makes me smile. (Have to admit I encourage them by crowing back.)

I wish I could tell you...........

It was about two weeks after they were born, I arrived home from work to find they had vanished. Mother and father and the five little ones. There is another big lake about 4 farms away and I have a feeling they may have gone walking in that direction.

The mother returned nightly for the next couple of weeks ( for some spinach, lettuce, grainy bread) , she was not stressed at all, so I have a good feeling they all made it safely to their next destination. I did find it strange at such a young age, the parents would lead them away from the nest.

It was really interesting watching them work together to build their nest, right through to seeing the signets for the first time.

I wish they had of stayed longer . You never know , I may see them return as a family before they set off on their own adventures.

Off topic, but about swans: I'm a button collector, and this unusual French livery button was shown on a group recently. Just about every animal known--and unknown--to man shows up on a livery button. This is the first swan livery button I've seen.

I've seen goats, antelope, and sheep, but so far not an auodad...

swan livery.JPG

Latest posts

Back