Breakaway tying for minis in trailer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxane Martin

Reaction score
I have used a panic snap for tying my 38 inch mini in my stock trailer. But that is designed for the pull of a "regular" horse and I wonder if it would give way for a mini? I think most about being in an accident with the trailer and would want the lead to give way, rather than have him hang by his neck. So if not a panic snap, then what? I've heard of using baling twine, but all of the farmers around here use the nylon twine, not the string type, so I really don't think that would give way either. I have seen Blocker Ties and Safe Clips, which look like they would eventually release, but just as a slow pull. I'm not even sure a leather halter crownpiece would give way. Any thoughts or experiences?

Panic snaps are not designed to give way--they are designed to let go when you grasp and pull on the snap casing. It is a much quicker release than if you have to try and untie a knot after a panicked horse has pulled it tight.

I would suggest not tying in the trailer. I do not tie if I am hauling only a couple that get along well. If I haul a stallion with mares then I tie--i have a stock trailer and close the center gate--that way in case of a wreck a horse will not fly the whole length of the trailer.

Agree with Minimor on the panic snaps and was going to do a write-up myself last nite but laptop giving me fits after latest Flash download. working this am.

You can purchase a roll of baling twine (jute/natural type) at any agri farm store right now or online or in smaller amounts at craft stores such as Hobby Lobby or Michael's, it that's what you really want. Carry a sheathed knife somewhere that you can use to cut anything they are tied with if the snaps/clips won't release or break. The seat belt cutters would work - I have no idea where you'd want to "stash" them, though.

Personally, if mine are tied, I want the tie rope and clip/snap strong enough NOT to break. And the ties/lead ropes made for minis with those light weight snaps - mine broke all the time! Had 2 snaps break last week with a 3 week old foal tugging on the lead rope. So a regular mini horse lead rope made into your typical trailer tie should break somewhere when an accident occurs. Those were my last two leads made/sold for minis and I will not be purchasing any more (big waste of $$). I use regular horse lead ropes and really prefer making my own and purchasing good, heavy duty snaps. I make mine out of a variety of products - everything from braided haystring (currently have orange - the larger sizes on small square bales and the smaller diameter from our large round bales), paracord, rope from hardware or farm store(s), MCR and ordered yacht rope.

and i have had snaps and shackles that are made for emergency release situations not work unless the pull is "just right" OR come undone at the most awkward and undesirable times! Personally, again, if a quick release shackle has to have electrical tape &/or duct tape wrapped around it to "secure" it so it doesn't release unintentionally, it's not the right piece for the job (this was on marathon driving harness).

I have tied ours, cross tied them and hauled loose - depending on the situation and the individual horse. I also have a stock trailer with only a center gate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, ladies, for your replies.

Minimor--Thank you for clearing up what panic snaps do, and don't do. I knew it, but had forgotten it.

I have a 16 foot stock trailer that I haul one mini and our cart (yeah, I know, overkill). There are no dividers other than the center gate. I tie Teddy next to the center gate in the upper portion. I do a lot of hauling on twisty, hilly roads and I figure that gives him something to lean against--both the gate and the lead.

Paintponylvr--I have apparently been lucky and not had any of the mini tie snaps break from a mini pulling back. I use the short, "snap on each end" ties a lot and they have worked well for me. My concern was for the one-in-a-million (I hope!) chance that the trailer would get flipped. I didn't want him to get hung or break his neck. As I travel alone, I may not be able to get back there to do anything to help him, to untie him.

Thanks for pointing out that the "slow release" might not come at the pace needed, or at wrong time, for the blocker ties/snaps.

So I think I will go for the natural jute tie loop for inside the trailer for just the weird situation I described, regular ties as I have been using for everything else. BTW, I do carry a pocket knife in my pocket all the time.

Latest posts

Back