Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

Has anyone used Triple Crown Safe Starch Forage or Triple Crown Grass Forage? If you did, how did it work out for you?
I have been thinking of switching one of my minis onto it as they hay I am able to get is last years second cut and very green. I am going to make the assumption it is pretty rich. He is portly and I have cut his portions back but he is not loosing enough. I soak it too, to lower the NSC's. He is getting 1.5 pounds of hay per 100 pounds of body weight and I don't want to go lower
than that. He gets no pasture, just a small bit of grass in the paddock but its almost a dry lot so he needs his hay.
My thought is with the Safe Starch or Grass Forage he could still get the same amount and loose weight as its low NSC's.
Thanks.

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,197 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

The Safe Starch Forage is complete diet in a bag, only thing to add to the diet is salt.
The grass forage would probably need at least a vitamin mineral supplement added to make up for what is probably lacking in straight grass forage.
  • Ryan Johnson and Cayuse like this
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Showy, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny
Donkey: Tilly

#3 horselover161

horselover161

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

I used it when we lived in Virginia and loved it!   I didn't have a good place to store large quantities of hay at the time and the feed store where I could purchase bales of hay in small quantities was very inconsistent and often had poor quality.   The Triple Crown was always consistent and excellent quality.   It was expensive though.   No way I could afford to feed that to a full size horse, but I could justify it with just my 2 minis.   I used both kinds, but Safe Starch was my favorite.   It was great for traveling or when I had someone else feeding them because it was chopped and I could easily fit it in a couple gallon sized bags for each feeding.   If I used it again, I would probably use a slow feed hay bag like the Hay Pillow with it though just to slow them down a bit.     

• Cayuse likes this

August Meadows
Home of

Honeysuckle Knoll Regencys Rafael
AMHA World & AMHR National Top 10

&

AKS Aristocrats Invitation Only
Located in Richland, MI

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Horselover161, one thing I am afraid of is him wolfing it down and having nothing left to occupy himself with.
Do you know if the hay pillows holes are small enough to the chopped hay?
I can feed small amounts over the course of the day as I am home. That would at least give him something to chew on for a shot while. I give my hay four times a day.
  • PintoPalLover likes this

#5 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• 12,197 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Not sure how well the chopped hay would work in hay pillows, but I think the mesh holes are as small as 1/2". I think she has 1/2", two different 3/4" (different thickness of twine), then 1" and a couple bigger. For our grass hay, I found the 3/4" thick twine to work pretty good, when I was using the hay pillows.
  • Cayuse and PintoPalLover like this
Chanda
HC Minis

#6 horselover161

horselover161

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

From what I have seen of the hay pillows, I would think the smallest size would work well.  For my fast eater, I did put some large rocks in his hay tub so he had to at least move them around to reach all of the pieces of his hay.   

• Miniv, chandab and Cayuse like this

August Meadows
Home of

Honeysuckle Knoll Regencys Rafael
AMHA World & AMHR National Top 10

&

AKS Aristocrats Invitation Only
Located in Richland, MI

#7 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

I'm not sure what I am going to do, lol. I did get a bag of the Grass Forage and he likes it. I might put him on it and give him his usual evening portion of regular hay at night as it lasts longer.
My vet saw him yesterday and said he is still needs to loose a little.
I have three, two minis and a pony and none of the can eat the same stuff. The pony has allergies and has his "special vittles" the other mini can't eat fine second cut hay (diarrhea) and Peanut can't eat first cut (gas!)
I feel like a short order cook at feeding time.
  • Miniv and chandab like this

#8 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• 12,197 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

I feel your pain. Luckily, mine eat mostly the same hay (9 eat our homegrown mixed hay we put up for the cows, I pick the best, grassiest bales for the horses); and then 3 eat small square grass hay I purchase (the small squares are easier to use in their barn/paddock, and come in straight grass, as the donkey lives in that paddock).
My feed room looks like a buffet: 3-4 different bagged feeds, 2 types of hay pellets, and sometimes beet pulp, plus assorted supplements.
  • Ryan Johnson and Cayuse like this
Chanda
HC Minis

#9 Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

One of my little minis also gets diarrhea from second cut hay. I was at a loss what to do as she also has laminitic episodes. What ive done recently is add the smallest amount of alfalfa/lucerne into her plain grass hay and the diarrhea has eased. 

• chandab and Cayuse like this

TayJay Miniature Horses

Victoria , Australia 

#10 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

How much alfalfa do you add Ryan? About a small handful or so? I have heard it is very good for digestive issues, but was leary of trying it as I thought it might be too much, too rich for them.
I had my old mare on timothy/Alfalfa and it did seem to help her sensitive stomach. But she was a big pony, almost horse size.

Chandab, I have a kitchen counter that is covered in horse supplements. I remember, years ago, my horses just got good hay and a bit of grain and they looked great. Now everyone has an issue of some sort.

Oh, Ryan, I forgot to say I have used to product Bio Sponge for diarrhea with good results. I don't know if you can get it there, but a couple of doses usually solidifies everything back to where it should be.
  • chandab and Ryan Johnson like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users