Photo

Maiden Mare foaling guesstimate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#11 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,438 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!  Yes, I think you have a grulla.......and a girl!  What a happy birthday for you! 

BTW, was just wondering when you fed her - her evening meal?  Was it around 5 p.m. - ish? 

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#12 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

Dry pics of baby please.
Wet baby does look rather grulla, but they are usually quite buff colored when born, yours seems a little darker.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Bonny, Dolly, Baybe, Bliss, and Sophia
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

#13 Debby - LB

Debby - LB

Someone just shoot me!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

Beautiful! Big congratulations and Happy Birthday!!  Yes more photos, please. :yes

Lil Beginnings Miniature Horse & Pony ...The Original Small Horse Social Network - since 1997 helping you promote your business down the street or across the globe!
Small Horse Connect Miniature Horse farm and related business directory - all things related to small equine....are you connected?

BowensDesign.com - Equine Web Design

The mind is a tricky thing. Biased by your experience, it colors and shapes your reality, manufacturing broad sweeping beliefs from small, questionable, points of data.

Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

#14 miniappluvr

miniappluvr

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

I had gone out to collect a drop of milk for the milk strip test and when I got in left my barn cam up on my monitor. I don't know why I didn't feed while I was out there, but when I came in I noticed she was starting to act like she was in early labor. The milk strip immediately turned very light orange on the strip. I should have gone out and fed, but instead I watched until about 7:30pm. Since she still had not had her baby I felt pretty bad for making the other 2 in the barn wait so long for supper so I went out and fed then. She didn't have much interest in eating, but was picking a bit at her hay. I went back in and watched her on my barn cams and she was doing all of the normal tell tale signs. Getting up and down, acting irritated kicking her belly, pinning her ears, and scratching her butt on the wall. By 10:20 I knew she was down for the real thing so I headed out. 

I have not had any dun foals before, and for some reason I thought her mom was silver buckskin. It wasn't until this filly was born that I thought, she "looks" grulla, but I know how foals have such countershading it is hard to know the actual color. Someone on Facebook then said they thought the dam was dunskin. After that, then I thought well, she is either dunskin, sooty buckskin, or grulla then. I am waiting to see once that foal coat sheds out.

Here is an updated picture of the little cutie.

Attached Thumbnails

• 400fillypic.jpg

#15 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,438 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

You have a little cutie there!  Congrats and good for you for being right there on top of things.

I don't see dark points on her legs which a buckskin would normally have. But time will help tell.

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#16 paintponylvr

paintponylvr

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

What color was her sire?

You could just run a color test as well...  I've found that I have the emailed test results back from Animal Genetics (in Florida) back w/i 48 hours of the email saying they received my samples.

Cute, CUTE filly and HUGE!!  Glad that the foaling went well and that you were there - what an awesome B-day present.

Edited by paintponylvr, 14 May 2017 - 08:02 AM.

Paula Hoffman
Cameron, NC
LP Painted Ponys

All That Style n' Class - Halter HOF
LP Painted FlashNfluf -
2013 ASPC Congress: Reserve Champion Futurity 2 yr old Foundation Mare

Buckeye WCF Classical Wizard -

2013 ASPC Congress: Champion Futurity 2 yr old Foundation Stallion

2012 ASPC Congress: Champion Yearling Foundation; Reserve Champion Foundation Stallion
LP Painted Mo-Olympus -
2013 ASPC Congress:  Reserve Champion Futurity 2 yr old Foundation Stallion

WF Action Jackson - RIP - May 1992 - July 2012

#17 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

Congrats
Chanda
HC Minis