Gardening

32 replies to this topic

#1 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

I have envied peonies in people's gardens.  Last fall I contacted a peony grower and asked about a variety that would grow in my area.  I am so happy with it!  The flowers are beautiful and so fragrant!

Attached Thumbnails

• peony.jpg

• Miniv, Debby - LB, Charley and 5 others like this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Interests:Breeding miniature horses of color as well as miniature Mediterranean donkeys and Nigerian dwarf goats. Also raising india blue peafowl, super African geese, bantam cochins and mini rex rabbits. I enjoy training horses to jump and drive as well as riding hunter seat and saddleseat equitation.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Those are beautiful. We had white ones in my yard as a kid. They always smelled amazing.
  • Marsha Cassada likes this

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#3 Debby - LB

Debby - LB

Someone just shoot me!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

That is so PRETTY! I love those.

Lil Beginnings Miniature Horse & Pony ...The Original Small Horse Social Network - since 1997 helping you promote your business down the street or across the globe!
Small Horse Connect Miniature Horse farm and related business directory - all things related to small equine....are you connected?

BowensDesign.com - Equine Web Design

The mind is a tricky thing. Biased by your experience, it colors and shapes your reality, manufacturing broad sweeping beliefs from small, questionable, points of data.

Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

#4 KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

Habit Forming

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Camping, Crafting

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

My grandma has had peonies as long as I can remember and I just adore them!  Between them and the lilacs her yard smells incredible.  Those were two plants I always knew I wanted in my own yard (just gotta get a yard now...)  Your flower is absolutely beautiful.  Almost looks like tissue paper.  Congrats!

:CheekKiss Duggan & Miss May :wub 

:charge 

#5 paintponylvr

paintponylvr

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:silver pinto ponies, driving, braiding

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:47 AM

I agree that flower is incredible!  Peony - hmmm...  May have to look into those, now too.

How are you doing with your Espaliered Apple tree (s)?  did you start them yourselves from twigs or did you purchase them already started and then build supports for them?  I ask as I found a nursery here in NC that sells young fruit tree trees - some have been started in Espalier fashion and I've been thinking about them...

We are building up an area circling our 60' round pen - using a combo of shredded paper, cardboard, pony manure (mostly well composted - but some not as I remove it from the round pen where we've had ponies in constant residence for a year now), chicken coop compost (AMAZING how the chickens are turning the sand under their coops into usable compost - when I add weeds, dirty hay/shavings/straw, pine straw, limited pony manure, leaves & all kitchen waste to their coops), rabbit manure/alfalfa hay.  There will be "trenches" on both sides of the mounds for the tree areas that are catching the rain water - wish I'd had a little more done before this current system hit us - would have been nice to "catch" more of the run off.  The trees will be a combo of actual Dwarf varieties and larger ones that we will keep well pruned to prevent them from getting over 12' tall.  Hopefully, this will allow us to work with the natural water flow on our property and utilize it, give us shade while using the round pen (whether for training or "living") AND provide us with fruit!  We haven't planted any trees yet, though.  Getting there...

Looking at putting in a line of grapes and raspberries with other flowering plants between our driveway and the pasture fence.  This would aid in the run-off from the driveway (didn't appear to be any before the storms hit last year - now it's very obvious we have quite a bit). - again retaining water & rerouting it for use to the good.  And may be able to use other fruit trees along other pasture fences - also for shade & to soak up some of the excess water from rain.  Right now - only installing/working on the "beds" where hoses will also reach as we don't have permanent drip lines in... (another reason starting around the round pen - I'm in that area daily - with ponies and chickens).  I've got another section of fence where we are putting in black berries (thornless) have the first two - but not in the ground yet - Ouachita variety.  2 honey berries going in by our house - haven't decided exactly where just yet - they'd started blooming in February when it got warm - we were recommended at that time to put them in shade to prevent them from doing full bloom(s) and not fruiting this year.  Now they need to be planted in full sun...  Not sure if they will actually fruit this year or not.

Don't have a tractor right now, quotes for having someone do what I want done are higher than we've had $$ for and I'm now a lot older and not nearly as fit since I went to a varying part/full time desk job.  So, we move by hand/small equipment/ponies, dig by hand and build by hand - slow going!!

Edited by paintponylvr, 25 April 2017 - 04:55 AM.

Paula Hoffman
Cameron, NC
LP Painted Ponys

All That Style n' Class - Halter HOF
LP Painted FlashNfluf -
2013 ASPC Congress: Reserve Champion Futurity 2 yr old Foundation Mare

Buckeye WCF Classical Wizard -

2013 ASPC Congress: Champion Futurity 2 yr old Foundation Stallion

2012 ASPC Congress: Champion Yearling Foundation; Reserve Champion Foundation Stallion
LP Painted Mo-Olympus -
2013 ASPC Congress:  Reserve Champion Futurity 2 yr old Foundation Stallion

WF Action Jackson - RIP - May 1992 - July 2012

#6 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

My espaliered trees are loaded with fruit again this year.  I do have some gall on one of the apples.  I had to send a photo to Stark, where I purchased the bare root trees, to ask what it was.  I have a feeling the gall must have been on the tree originally, as there doesn't seem to be any way the bacteria could have got on it here.  The other Stark apple tree does not have it.  Not going to do anything right now.  Some trees can survive it.  If the gall girdles the trunk, it will be a goner. 

BUT, I cannot prune the other trees after it without disinfecting the pruners. 

Attached Thumbnails

• apple tree.jpg

#7 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

Beautiful peony! I bet it smells heavenly.

I'm jealous, mine always have itsy bitsy ants in the blooms.

#8 REO

REO

Admin / Administrative Forum Moderator

• Entertainment Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,139 posts
  • Interests:Breeding Black Splash horses with Superior conformation!

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

That's gorgeous!

ROKO MINIATURE HORSES

RHA LOTTO LOCOMOTION~ Black Splash stallion

ROKO LOTTO SPLASH OF PERFECTION~ 29.75" Black Splash stallion

Forum Moderator and Official L'il Beginnings Entertainment Coodinator

#9 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Two deer were circling the garden last night, eyeing the loaded apple trees.  My husband yelled at them and waved his arms, but they just kept ogling the apples.  I went out with the camera, but they had moved away by then.  I know there wouldn't be an apple left on the tree if they were not enclosed in the garden.

We are eating potatoes, onions, kale, lettuce.  Cherries are over.  Beans are blooming.  What's in your garden??

• Miniv and KLJcowgirl like this

#10 candycar

candycar

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:42 AM

This is my gardening effort this year. It breaks up the big white side of my garage.   Two cutouts from TSC, giant zennias and paving bricks from the streets of Ashland KY that are 100+ years old. I love those bricks and have them bordering all my landscaping.

zhrsflwr.jpg

• Miniv and Marsha Cassada like this

JELLY BEAN DELL
Loving home of:
Mini Meadows Gypsy Delight (Jelly Bean) Mare, 35.5 AMHR
Mini Meadows Midnight Lexus (Lexy) Mare, 36.5 AMHR
Coco Puff Mini Molly Mule, 30

Rock E Horse (Rocky) Gelding, 30 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users