Shadow is getting closer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, she may be due, but mares do carry past known due dates (so could foal in July).

Also, maiden mares (as well as older mares) can carry high/tight and HIDE the foal from both US & palpation. We had known breeding dates on a paint filly we bred in the early 80's. Didn't come back into heat, but vet swore by palpation that she was not pregnant (and he did a lot of palpations/US on TB/APHA/AQHA/ApHA mares with breeders all around CO & worked at the track in Denver). I started her under saddle over the winter and she had started to come along pretty nicely. Then she started really gaining weight, none of our girths would fit & had to get a much larger one - parents were stumped as the weight was even on both sides from elbows/withers to flanks/croup. Parents & vet said to cut her feed - we did. No udder. Then, one nice day in the spring, walked out to a foal at her side... We did end up giving her a couple doses of DomPeridone (spelling) to make sure her milk came in. Then when her milk came in - it seemed like it exploded! But then trimmed out. That was our first foal to be weaned at 4 months of age (early for us at the time) - she was huge and really pulled her dam down (turned a full 3 yrs of age before foaling).

Chanda has a great set of pics of a maiden mare that doesn't even look in foal in the AM and after lunch in the pm, had a foal at her side. Not a small foal either.

Stay safe in the bad weather.

I think I put this on the wrong post?

Last edited by a moderator:
A mare will only foal when she feels its completely "safe" from everything, so your right she may have decided to hold off.

Its perfectly normal for her udder to be going up and down. You will notice when shes been laying around it will seem fuller, If she has been walking or running around due to the storms and tornadoes, then its very normal that it has shrunk a little.

Looking forward to seeing some new pics

I hope you are all ok and not too much damage done

Pray for the neighbors a half mile away, they have only a concrete slab and a pile of debris to the side of it. We are all good here. Power might be back on Wednesday we hope. Taking showers at a nearby state park.

Shadow is doing good. No change in her behavior. It's supposed to be a nice day tomorrow but a chance of thunderstorms on Wednesday. Who knows what she will do. I will try and take photos tomorrow.

First two are from yesterday morning. Last one is from tonight.

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

Foal is still riding sideways as you can see from the Pic looking behind. It may only take a couple of good rolls to line baby up into position.

Your definitely on the "home straight" so too speak , so just continue to keep a close eye on her.

You know her better than anyone but keep a look out for Tail swishing, stomping, biting at her sides.

Cant wait to see what she is preparing for you in there and of course , wishing you the safest of foalings
default_thumbup.gif

I've said prayers for the folks in that area! How is Shadow doing now? She looked like she was progressing nicely.

Looking forward to hearing how she is doing.

Shadow has foaled but the umbilical cord has not fallen off. Help please. All else is good, already standing

I was there for the whole thing. She has always been last to the feeding in the afternoon. Tonight she didn't want me to pet her at all. When we feed them before I put her up she was all normal and then she disappeared. I went into the small barn and she was laying on her side having contractions. Called wife and said it was time. Only problem I saw was the after birth came out quickly and the umbilical cord was still attached. I thought when the mare got up it would break off. The foal dragged it around for a while. I was debating if I should cut it off like I have read. All worked out good and normal. I will try and get pictures tomorrow.

Congratulations!!!
default_firstprize.gif
so happy everything went well for you and her. What a beautiful foal and it looks quite small. Do you have a girl or a boy there?

Sometimes the umbilical cord doesn't break, in your case it finally did but sometimes it doesn't at all. If need be you have to wrap your hand around the cord, don't squeeze it just hold it firmly. If blood is still flowing through it, you'll feel it pulsating. Wait until the blood flow subsides and then it is safe to break it. Just a little ways from the foal's abdomen, you will see a slight narrowing... grasp it firmly on both sides of that narrowed area and pull, it should separate easily. Once it separates use your disinfectant of choice, Chlorhexidine or Iodine. (I always treat the navel cord and the foal's feet.)

The cord usually does separate easily with that little tug but if it doesn't then your veterinarian or you would need to use the next step. The spot where it will separate is about an inch or so from the belly, once you find the narrowed spot you'll hold each side and then twist, not cut, twist and pull. Do not pull on the cord without firmly holding the side near the foals belly. There are times however when scissors may be necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations !! He's adorable ! Glad mom and baby are doing well.
default_smile.png

Back