The wayward forelock. AKA the bad hair day.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayuse

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have clipped the mini. He does not look too bad except for his forelock which is very thick and looks like a giant poofy Brillo pad stuck between his ears. My husband took one look, laughed and said "Honey, you need some help with that!"

So here I am, asking for help.

How do I thin it out so he looks more presentable? He may be going to a small show soon so it needs to be tidy.

Clip it from the underneath and the sides?

Leave it wild?

Put an elastic in it a tuck it to the side?

I do know enough not to cut it,?. It's just that usually my horses and pony's have average, non desript topknots, and this is just a hot mess.

It is very,very thick, reaches his eyes and frizzy.

Also, his mane is so heavy it is pulling his crest to one side a bit. Do I undercut it?

Can you guys help a dorky looking mini out? Thanks!

Pictures to help visualize just how fuzzy he is?

I know many undercut the mane to lighten/thin it.

Would have to see the forelock to offer suggestions. [including the bridle path area behind the ears.]

I can get a picture tonite or tomorrow. I have clipped the bridle path about four inches, starting at the very back of the ears, I did not want to go anymore forward with it than that. I know I could extend his bridle path more but my preference is to have it not so long.

His face is not clipped short, only a 10 blade. It was his first time with the face, so I'm trying to keep it

basic. It is not the best job, but he stood and tolerated it ☺. I just thought I'd warn you that he is not razored to perfection!

The show is not rated, it is an open pleasure show and he will be in a class with big horses. If we do go, its going to be for schooling experience, but I don't want the forelock to be the thing they see first. He needs all the help he can get, his head is a bit common. But it gives him character :)

Last edited by a moderator:
With mine with bushy forelocks, I usually cut the bridle path upto the knob between their ears, that usually still gives them plenty of forelock and cuts some of the bushy.

You can try styling gel and see how much it tames his forelock, so you know how much more you may need to trim.

Is it thick and coarse? Or just frizzy poofy?

Thick and coarse usually takes trimming to tame.

Frizzy, poofy might be tamed with hair products; many like ethnic products such as those used on afros to tame the frizz. A good leave-in conditioner might work well, too.

Looking at the last picture, I would be inclined to clip the bridle path a little further forward, get closer to the knob between their ears to reduce the poof without taking length from the forehead.

It is a little coarse, not too bad. It has an amazing amount of poof though. It looks like cotton candy close up. I can clip towards his "knob" a little more. And invest in a lot of styling goop! Afro styling product might work. Good idea.

OMG! Thanx for the good laugh! I enjoyed that.

I know how frustrating that can be. Yes, trim up towards the "knob". Also, think about separating it into sections with the middle section the largest. Band that down by his head. You want the two outside sections to be equal and not very much at all to start. Then clip off the two outside sections. You could even section the middle into top and lower and clip off the lower part (undercut).

I was going to suggest cutting into it like at the hairdressers. But after seeing how much volume it already has, I wouldnt cut it at all. Just let it grow.

I agree with Chanda though in bringing the cut forward to the ears a little bit
default_smile.png
It should reduce some of the Bulkiness.

"Volume" made me smile, Ryan. It sounds so much nicer than "giant poofy Brillo pad". He does have voluminous locks. His tail is beautiful. Thick and wavy. I wish I had half his volume!

I just thought of something, my other mini has almost no forelock! Too bad they couldn't share.

I am going attempt to prune it back some more today.

I am not quite sure how to best explain it...but with our fluff between the ears, we dampen it a tiny bit and stroke it down towards the nose gently allowing the shorter and fluffier hairs to stray out whike only the longest hairs remain. With one hand holding the remaining long hairs, we clip off the shorter and fuzzier sides of the forelock on the inside of each ear, blending it in with the bridle path. I find that this thins the forelock out and gives the face that nice sleek look. Not sure if my explination makes the most sense, but equipment woes prevent me from taking a photo or video describing what I mean.

Amysue, I did so more clipping yesterday and I did what you suggested, we were on the same wavelength I think as I had not read your post yet!

I took the forelock forward to his "knob" and did the side fuzz. He looks a bit better but I will do more on the sides. I'm doing a little at a time so I don't take off too much.

I never thought of a curling iron. That might work on the mane too. I still am trying to decide if I need to thin that or if exercise will tighten up his crest.

He had a trailer loading lesson yesterday. He did not know how to back down the ramp when I got him, he'd squeeze around and come out frontwards in a charging hurry. So last Fall we worked on going to the top of the ramp and then backing down. Well he remembered his lessons very well as he did not want to go past the top of the ramp and into the trailer. But after about five minutes he obliged and marched in and then backed SLOWLY out on command. So Cappy had a productive day. Carrots helped ☺

We made it to the first show today and he looked very presentable thanks to everyone here ☺. He had a moment when he thought he might like to revert to his old ways of unloading but he stopped, thought, and backed out.

He tried super hard to do what was asked of him and I was happy that he was able to relax enough to listen to us. I think he enjoyed himself. I know he liked the looks of the 16 hand black mare parked next to us! She WAS pretty.

We made it to the first show today and he looked very presentable thanks to everyone here ☺. He had a moment when he thought he might like to revert to his old ways of unloading but he stopped, thought, and backed out.

He tried super hard to do what was asked of him and I was happy that he was able to relax enough to listen to us. I think he enjoyed himself. I know he liked the looks of the 16 hand black mare parked next to us! She WAS pretty.
So, what all did you end up doing to the forelock? Glad the day went well.

I clipped it a little more on the sides and towards the "knob" and when I gave him his bath I put conditioner on it and left it awhile. Then I put some human hair goop on it that was supposed to "tame frizz". I found some Cowboy Magic stuff in my tack trunk that I had been meaning to toss because I did not like it when I used it on my other guy. I thought what the heck, and put some of that on and bundled up the whole mess into an elastic and stuck it under his browband. It still looked a little lively, but it was much improved.

If I can get them off the camera I will post a picture.

Here is a picture of my husband and Cappy at the show. And one of me and him in the class. Everyone has always been very supportive and helpful on this forum so I just wanted you to see how much your advice helped. Cappy is actually my hubby's mini and they have grown quite fond of each other. He should be the one showing him and I'm working on that.

DSCN0687 (2).JPG

DSCN0700.JPG

I love that "knob"! I think that is what I was told is a "smart bump". Animals that have it are supposed to be extra smart.

Cappy looks stunning! His bay coat is so bright. My Dapper Dan is a bay but he does not have that bright look any more. Maybe he is getting gray?

Latest posts

Back