Photo

Who has an LLC or S Corp for their Mini Farm?

business breeding pony rides

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 OakLeafMiniatures

OakLeafMiniatures

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

I'm looking into incorporating my ranch as a business but I'm not sure if it's worth the $800 minimum franchise tax in California. I'd love to hear some of the opinions out there on which is better for a horse business. 

Our main business would be breeding and selling horses. Do I even have to register for that? I'm also looking into doing birthday parties occasionally. Does anyone have recommendations on business plans or insurance for that? Do I have to have a business to get liability insurance for the horses?

Sorry for the load of questions! I'm excited to see what the community has to say. 

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

I do not have a business so I can't be helpful with that part of your question, but I do have liability on all three of my horses through Blue Bridle Insurance. So you don't need to have a business to purchase liability
insurance. I would guess if you DID have a business such as pony rides or lessons the liability insurance would be more costly or a different type of liability policy. I say that based on the questions they asked when I applied, they were specific in wanting to know if the horses were used in lesson programs or in anyway commercially. My insurance is $125 a year. But like I said, they are not used for business or public purposes.
Hope that helps a little bit.

#3 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,442 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

We registered our DBA with the state....In Oregon you pay by the county you plan to practice in. Our bank provided the form. We also have Farm Insurance attached to our house insurance which covers liability for the horses. Once you have people coming on the property to see the horses or are taking horses off to do the birthday parties, you do need that extra coverage.

IRS doesn't recognize you as a business to take deductions unless you 1. File a DBA (which proves a business name)  2. Have insurance. 3. Have a business bank account.

4. Have business cards with your business name and info on it.  (All of it is deductible.)

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#4 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,442 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

PS: Forgot to add that we've filed our taxes as a Simple Partnership.....Husband and Wife.....Much simpler.

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#5 OakLeafMiniatures

OakLeafMiniatures

Addiction Free

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

Thanks! All this helps. I'll have to look into Blue Bridle and if they offer insurance for pony ride type situations.