Stifle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My driving gelding will be 20 this year and a stifle has been an on-again off-again issue for a few years. Sometimes he goes several months with no problems. Stall rest helps, of course, but he can't stay in a stall for the rest of his life.

He may never drive again, but how much pain is he in just to ramble in the pasture?

What can I expect long term for him?

I would very much like for anyone to share his experiences with stifle injuries.

Obviously at age 20 your fellow isn't going to "outgrow" it, like some youngsters do..... We have had one colt who was going through a "butt high" growth spurt who had an issue for a few weeks and then it corrected itself. But we also bought a mature stallion years ago who had a stifle problem (which we didn't know he had). Since stifle problems that do NOT go away can be hereditary, we had him gelded. We also had the vet do a simple "snip" procedure to his stifle which only required a few stitches. Gwydion healed up nicely at both points...and went on to be a wonderful driving gelding - both for us personally and in the show ring.

As far as allowing your fellow to be a pasture pet, I can only pass on what others have shared.....which is - allowing a stifled horse to move freely with no stress has been more helpful than stalling. Hopefully others will add their experiences here.......

I think his is rather like a knee injury; he never had it as a young horse. But once he injured it, it must be easy to reinjure. I've called the vet that treated him originally and asked him to come out for a farm call consultation. He only does small animals at his clinic in town and he gets in trouble if residents see a horse trailer in his parking lot. He injected Adequan in the stifle the first time it happened.

I'd just like to know what to expect in the future. If he is fine moseying around in the pasture, then I'm good with that.

I have heard that exercising the leg, by stretching it up to the stomach, can strengthen the muscles that support the stifle. I don't know how to find out more about that.

If it's a joint issue, have you tried any MSM and/or Glucosamine products in his feed?

I have had a couple with stifle problems and found what Miniv said to be true. The more that they can move freely around at their own pace the better off that they are. Keeps them from stiffining up. Walking over poles and up hills can strengthen the stifle and help keep the joint flexible in some cases and that is what I did with my old pony gelding when he reached his dotage (late 20's).

Can your guy have his joint injected? I also think they can go on Estrone (?) for some stifle issues but I could have that wrong (and probably do!), maybe someone here knows about that and can speak about it?

Still haven't had a call from the vet to make an appointment. I guess when one says "it isn't urgent" that is a mistake! But Dd is doing better. He will flex the leg up to the belly fine now. I won't drive him, yet, but he seems comfortable. Just need to remember to confine him next time it rains. I still plan to follow up with the vet, however, just to make sure I am diagnosing it properly, and to get advice on long term care.

Will keep the topic updated, in case it can be helpful to anyone else.

Just got back from the vet. DD has a little fluid on one stifle and a little more fluid on the other. He told me to do an Adequan injection and put him back on stall rest for at least another week. Hocks are good and no other problems. He complimented me on how good DD looks and said he should be good to drive till he is 25 or so, which made me feel good.

So, back home. Adequan, and back in the stall. He is not a happy horse tonight. At least 3 weeks stall rest if he has another episode.

Hopefully with the injections and the R&R he'll be back to himself in no time.

Latest posts

Back