Looking up horse's bloodlines?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elizabeth.conder

Reaction score
I am trying to find a reliable way to see who my horses might be related too. They are all registered. I BELIEVE two of my mares have appaloosa in their history and I wanted to see if I could confirm that. Plus I think it is fascinating to explore. I am just not sure where to look.

Thank You

Do you have their papers ? Their papers should at least say their parents and grandparents name , height , and possibly color, I forget how many generations back they usually go. Both AMHA and AMHR have online studbooks , I think they both cost around $50 to get into but I haven't looked in a while . Somebody on here would probably look them up for you if you gave them the horse's registered name.

It is fun to look into your horses bloodlines , see who they look like .
default_wink.png
Hope you get it all figured out !
default_yes.gif

Do you have their papers ? Their papers should at least say their parents and grandparents name , height , and possibly color, I forget how many generations back they usually go. Both AMHA and AMHR have online studbooks , I think they both cost around $50 to get into but I haven't looked in a while . Somebody on here would probably look them up for you if you gave them the horse's registered name.

It is fun to look into your horses bloodlines , see who they look like .
default_wink.png
Hope you get it all figured out !
default_yes.gif
I might look into that, thank you. I do have their names. They are Little Americas Secrets Crescendo, Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star, Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody, and Aristocratic Big City Flower Power.

You might try contacting Little America in Texas about "Little Americas Secret Crescendo"; they are still in business, so might at least have foal pictures and early details.

That is probably a good idea. I have seen pics of his sire/dam/grandsire/grandam, I was just wondering about further back. I know he has Silver Meadows Phantom Storm and Orion Light Vant Huttenest.

Also, just so you know, (if you plan on breeding for appaloosa) no matter how much appaloosa is in the background, they cannot throw appaloosa foals unless they themselves display at least appaloosa characteristics.

Also, just so you know, (if you plan on breeding for appaloosa) no matter how much appaloosa is in the background, they cannot throw appaloosa foals unless they themselves display at least appaloosa characteristics.
Good to know. Thanks.

Forgive my ignorance but what does it mean if my colt shows Appaloosa charecteristics (Spots)? What would be a possibility if bred to a solid mare?

Good to know. Thanks.

Forgive my ignorance but what does it mean if my colt shows Appaloosa charecteristics (Spots)? What would be a possibility if bred to a solid mare?
Elizabeth, appy characteristics can be frosting in the coat, sclera, mottling on nose, lips, inside ears, genetalia, striped hooves etc. The visible "pattern", would be spots, blanket etc. With this being said however, horses can also show these for other reasons other than appaloosa, so it helps to be familiar with actual appy characteristics, or even ask for help from those that are, if you are suspecting it. You can breed an appy to whatever color you want in the miniature horse world.I could be wrong, but I don;t think the ApHA registers minis...at least back when I raised minis I am sure they didn't.

Elizabeth, appy characteristics can be frosting in the coat, sclera, mottling on nose, lips, inside ears, genetalia, striped hooves etc. The visible "pattern", would be spots, blanket etc. With this being said however, horses can also show these for other reasons other than appaloosa, so it helps to be familiar with actual appy characteristics, or even ask for help from those that are, if you are suspecting it. You can breed an appy to whatever color you want in the miniature horse world.I could be wrong, but I don;t think the ApHA registers minis...at least back when I raised minis I am sure they didn't.
No doubt about the spots. I am not near as educated on appaloosa markings as I'd like, but I am trying to learn. So what about mottled gums?

colt 1.JPG

Oh, and sorry about the dirt/pitiful grass, I live in west Texas which isn't exactly a lush area.

No, it's not really mottled gums...it's mottled skin on the lips, nose, eyes, inside ears, under tail sometimes on teats etc. And even then, other patterns or colors can cause certain mottling as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not really mottled gums...it's mottled skin on the lips, nose, eyes, inside ears, under tail sometimes on teats etc. And even then, other patterns or colors can cause certain mottling as well.
Ok, Thank you for answering my many questions. I really appreciate it! There is still some much to learn it feels like I have hardly made a dent.

Ok, Thank you for answering my many questions. I really appreciate it! There is still some much to learn it feels like I have hardly made a dent.
You'll find that with horses it is a never-ending learning experience. Just when you think you have things figured out, someone or something throws a loop into it and it's a whole new learning curve. That's part of what keeps it so fun and interesting!
default_yes.gif

Hi Elizabeth!! I, too, am learning about appaloosa coloring and it's mode of inheritance. You can learn some interesting things at The Appaloosa Project www.appaloosa.co/ They have ALL KINDS of nifty research, explanations and pictures available. Makes your mind spin, but if you like reading it's very interesting and informative. I've also sent you a pm.

Julie in NC

Hi Elizabeth!! I, too, am learning about appaloosa coloring and it's mode of inheritance. You can learn some interesting things at The Appaloosa Project www.appaloosa.co/ They have ALL KINDS of nifty research, explanations and pictures available. Makes your mind spin, but if you like reading it's very interesting and informative. I've also sent you a pm

Julie in NC
Thank you

Latest posts

Back