Photo

Depression Glass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,431 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

A very dear friend gifted us with BOXES of Depression Glass!  She and her mom collected it for a number of years, but then her mom passed away and she went through a divorce and decided she didn't want to deal with moving it all.....so asked if WE would just TAKE EVERYTHING.

Larry and I know about some antiques and collectibles but not a lot about Depression Glass.......We've bought a couple of books on the subject.

We sold a few pieces on E-Bay, gave a few pieces away to family/friends.......

Right now we still have a lot left stored in our spare bedroom and we need to get it OUT.  (A young person is moving in soon who needs a place to stay....long story.) 

Any advice? Is it worth storing it or should we just give it away?  Yard Sale for a small amounts? If so, how much?  HELP!

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

I know glassware has come down a lot in value the last few  years.  But I would think depression glass would always have a market.  Maybe you can estimate its wholesale value and put an ad on Craigs List.  I just sold an antique lamp that way.  And dealers always check Craigs List frequently. 

#3 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

I agree with Marsha, while the prices have gone down recently. ..there are still many die-hard collectors out there who will buy it. Since you got it for free, start offering it cheap, then post it for free or donate it to the salvation army or some other thrift store that resells for good causes. Some pieces are very rare and still fetching a high price. If you have time, poke around on ebay and see if you can identify some of the pieces to get a price range. Glass is tricky, as it is heavy, fragile and takes up space and it is hard to ship, so a local sale or swap may work better for you.

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#4 Miniv

Miniv

• 17,431 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for reminding me about Craigslist....Stupid that we didn't do it before!  And yes, we will probably give a lot to our local Shelter's thrift store.

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."

#5 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

Look up a few of the pieces on like eBay, to get a price for a few pieces, come up with an average, then advertise it lock, stock and barrel pretty cheap, but they have to take the whole lot, let someone else disperse what they don't want.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Bonny, Dolly, Baybe, Bliss, and Sophia
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

#6 Miniv

Miniv

• 17,431 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

Chanda, the down side with E-Bay is dealing with shipping....But, yes. Larry said he's going to do something like you described with Craigslist.

#7 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,207 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

No, not to sell it there, just to get pricing ideas, then list locally, after you have an idea of value, you can put a medium or low ball price on it to move it as a group.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Bonny, Dolly, Baybe, Bliss, and Sophia
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

#8 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

Yes, ebay is a great resource for information, let someone else do the research for you. Most depression glass, especially if well worn, is not super valuable, and chips, cracks and scratches deter the value. Some pieces however, are very valuable, especially if they complete someone's set. May be worth a quick look. I agree with Chanda, getting someone to take it all will be easiest. Present it as an opportunity to make money selling individually, someone will bite.

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#9 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

Children's dishes and unusual serving pieces are more desirable.

#10 susanne

susanne

dB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,243 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:08 AM

Depression glass is a good example of why you should only invest in things you love. Prices have dropped recently, but who knows what the future holds. The pieces I've bought have not increased in value -- they're about the same. Fortunately I bought them because I love them and always will. I have a large pink Miss America bowl that is unbelievably beautiful -- I value it far beyond its actual worth.

If you have any Mayfair Open Rose, Miss America, or any style of salt and pepper shakers, let me know!

My late mother, sisters, sister-in-law and I spent many hours at antique sales, searching for our specialties.

I would NOT look to ebay to assess value, but would instead peruse the many online antique dealers. I would strongly consider getting an appraisal, as some items still have very high value.

I'm almost never on here anymore, so if you have questions, message me on Facebook.

........................................................................................

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

........................................................................................

What if it's all a big hoax and we create a better world for nothing?.

.........................................................................................
They're not miniatures, they're concentrates