Wonky tooth?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi,

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend that has 2 rescue horses that live on our property.

Ted is a rescue that our friends,had brought in on Christmas Eve, he is around 2 years old. A week or so after he he arrived here they had noticed a large lump on the side of his face.

He was gelded on the 11th of Jan, and they asked the vet to have a look and he said it could be an ulcer that's not drained properly but has healed and has become a hard lump, or it could be a sarcoid and in that case we should keep a close eye on it if it grows or multiplies he will need treatment.

A few days ago Tenae (Ted's owner) had noticed one of his front teeth were sticking out a fair bit, and she can't recall it being like that beforehand.

Is this common in young horses for their teeth to grow wonky or could it be related to the lump on the side of his face? Is there any way to correct it?

Here are a few photos, its a little hard to see in photos, but its one of his 2 fronts.

35btpbm.jpg

2le12jk.jpg

z7pj9.jpg

And this is the lump on his cheek.

2jdqqzb.jpg

At two he's losing caps and gaining permanent teeth. The wonky tooth could be a cap that hasn't let go yet, keep an eye on it. The bump depending on exactly where it is could be tooth related, as well, keep an eye on it.

Definitely keep an eye on both......Make sure there's no tenderness to the lump.

I'm curious why this post was moved from the main forum to the back porch? To me it seemed like a legitimate question.

Regarding the "lump on cheek" : Our mare (approx. 9 yrs.) has significantly larger "lumps" on both sides-- as viewed on outside of cheeks. I've asked the vet when teeth were floated and apparently it's not anything to worry about from a health standpoint. I would bet it'd be a deal-killer for a show horse.

If the caps don't shed by themselves they need to be removed. I would suggest your friend chat with the vet again and make a list of questions. I had a 6 year old horse that had not shed some caps when I got him and it caused some trouble.

Since your friend probably does not know much history on the horse, there is no telling about the origin of the lump. I think if the lump is soft that is better than being hard. But could be a question to ask the vet.

He has a very kind face.

I, too, wondered why this had been moved from the main forum.

Thank you all for your replies, I'll pass it all on to Tenae.
default_smile.png

I thought it had been deleted or something because I couldn't find it in the part I posted, but then it popped up in here?

There is no tenderness in the lump, it doesn't phase him when you touch it or put pressure to it.
The lump is also fairly hard.
I had the dentist out a while ago for my 17 yo mare when one side of her face was swollen and very tender. He found her teeth were extremely sharp and were constantly cutting her cheek making it very sore and swollen so he filed them down and she is fine now.
The vet had a feel at Ted's teeth where the lump is and he said that the teeth aren't sharp enough to cause any troubles in that way.

He won't be showed or anything as such, so it won't affect us in that way, but we were just concerned about Ted and if its causing discomfort for him (which it doesn't seem to be) but things can change.

We will definitely keep an eye on both and see how he goes. Thanks again!
default_smile.png

"Not sharp enough to cause any troubles in that way"??!!
default_1857272.gif
What kind of troubles are acceptable to him caused by sharp points? I don't understand vets sometimes when it comes to teeth. Some horses bear pain very stoically. Why wait until points start ulcerating cheeks to do something about it? I would suggest to your friend that she make an appt exclusively for tooth work, so he does that specific job and isn't seeing the horse for anything else. Then he can concentrate on teeth instead of gelding. It is important to start a young horse's mouth off correctly.

Carly Rae....is this horse a mini? I think this thread might have been moved because someone thought this was bigger than a mini. (Large pony, horse?) Please let me know and if it is a mini I will move it back to the MF!

Thanks, Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the vet he meant that Ted's teeth aren't sharp therefore they shouldn't be cutting his cheek like my mare's teeth did.

So he thought it could be an old ulcer or a sarcoid.

The vet didn't really go much into depth in looking as he had 3 horses to geld that day, but I think Tenae wants to get the vet out soon because its still there. I want to read her your replies here first.

Oh yes! That didn't even cross my mind that Ted is an actual horse and this is a mini forum. Sorry!

Latest posts

Back