Antiques

29 replies to this topic

#1 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

My mother has a pair of antique Duplex kerosene lamps she wants to sell.  Any ideas of where I can go to find out an asking price?  I'm thinking of putting them on Craig's List for her.  They are probably from the 1880's.  All original.

Attached Thumbnails

• mom's lamp.jpg

• Debby - LB and Charley like this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,151 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

Check sold listings on eBay, I'm pretty sure when you search that you can include sold listings. If there are any antique shops local to you, they might share a price range with you.
  • Miniv and Cayuse like this
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Showy, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny
Donkey: Tilly

#3 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

One like it just sold on ebay for about $100, including shipping. Maybe she can get $75.
  • chandab likes this

#4 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• 12,151 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

You can always ask the higher price and have room to haggle; or just put up the lower price to move it out.
Chanda
HC Minis

#5 paintponylvr

paintponylvr

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Interests:silver pinto ponies, driving, braiding

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:41 AM

OMG, that is beautiful!  I wish that I had somewhere in our place to put something like that.  It doesn't really match or go with anything I have or any of our colors (not that they are all set, LOL)...

Paula Hoffman
Cameron, NC
LP Painted Ponys

All That Style n' Class - Halter HOF
LP Painted FlashNfluf -
2013 ASPC Congress: Reserve Champion Futurity 2 yr old Foundation Mare

Buckeye WCF Classical Wizard -

2013 ASPC Congress: Champion Futurity 2 yr old Foundation Stallion

2012 ASPC Congress: Champion Yearling Foundation; Reserve Champion Foundation Stallion
LP Painted Mo-Olympus -
2013 ASPC Congress:  Reserve Champion Futurity 2 yr old Foundation Stallion

WF Action Jackson - RIP - May 1992 - July 2012

#6 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Interests:Breeding miniature horses of color as well as miniature Mediterranean donkeys and Nigerian dwarf goats. Also raising india blue peafowl, super African geese, bantam cochins and mini rex rabbits. I enjoy training horses to jump and drive as well as riding hunter seat and saddleseat equitation.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:38 AM

Ebay is a good place to start, there is also an antique section on Etsy and Ruby Lane is also popular for antiques. I also know people who post high end items for sale on Craigslist, take paypal and ship. Very pretty lamp. I have one without the glass globe (cat knocked it over).

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#7 Debby - LB

Debby - LB

Someone just shoot me!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

I'm no help I have old things that I'm sure others would sell but I'm too sentimental. I just wanted to say how pretty that lamp is! I love it.

Lil Beginnings Miniature Horse & Pony ...The Original Small Horse Social Network - since 1997 helping you promote your business down the street or across the globe!
Small Horse Connect Miniature Horse farm and related business directory - all things related to small equine....are you connected?

BowensDesign.com - Equine Web Design

The mind is a tricky thing. Biased by your experience, it colors and shapes your reality, manufacturing broad sweeping beliefs from small, questionable, points of data.

#8 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

I already have two of them, with different globe designs.  Or I would keep them myself. My dad got them at an auction from an old hotel 40 years.  He gave all the daughters one for Christmas.  We moved a jillion times over the years with husband's career.  I always boxed mine and carried it in the car; never let the movers pack it.  Recently, I got another from a sister so I have two.

It was hard to get them polished at first, but now I can whisk over the brass in a few minutes.  My original one had a slight split in the brass.  I took it to a shop and they repaired it.  I asked how it got the crack and the guy said, "it was just really old.  Metal fatigue."  The Duplex patent dates from about 1865.  I am tempted to just buy them from mom, but I really don't need 4 of them...

I put them on Craig's List to start with.  I really don't want to do Etsy as it would be so challenging to ship them.  I'd rather someone just came and picked them up.

I sold one for a sister about 10 years ago on ebay for $150 to a guy in Italy.  It traveled just fine and he was thrilled.  I don't sell on ebay anymore; too many awkward transactions and my skin is not thick enough. 

• chandab likes this

#9 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

Here in our region....Central Oregon....someone started a "Central Oregon Buy-Sell-Trade page on Facebook.....I've seen some nice things for sale on there. Maybe your area has a page like that too?

• Debby - LB and chandab like this
Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#10 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• 12,151 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

Here in our region....Central Oregon....someone started a "Central Oregon Buy-Sell-Trade page on Facebook.....I've seen some nice things for sale on there. Maybe your area has a page like that too?

There are some pages like that for this area in Montana, too. I'm not on any of them, but hubby is on all of them.
Chanda
HC Minis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users