Some Snowy Pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
Went down to trim feet today and snapped a couple quick pics of the hairy yak beasts. I'm afraid I have my work cut out for me this spring getting the winter weight off these guys
default_smile.png

20170114_152927.jpg

Clementine is my bay driving mare. She is 6 years old. She was born the day my son came home from the NICU so it's easy to remember her age. I have been driving her for 3 years this summer. I sent her for 60 days of training and was told she took right to it. I also did some training since Clementine is my first driving horse.

Major is the paint gelding. He is 16 years old. I got him as a stallion because I fell in love with him when I went to pick Clementine up as a weanling. The woman who owned him offered him to me at a really low price because the City was on her to get rid of some. She had more animals than she was zoned for. So I bought him and got tired of keeping the two of them separated so I had him gelded 18 months later. He has decent genes, is registered, and has a beautiful personality but I never intended to breed him. I'll leave that to the pros
default_smile.png
I am hoping to start ground driving with Major this spring and we'll go from there.

20170114_160029.jpg

Who else uses hay nets? I started using one this spring and I love it. Usually they would have their hay gone in 15 minutes. Now they have hay up to 3-4 hours. And if they aren't that hungry they will walk away from it. When I fed in a bin they would gobble it all up no matter what.

They may not be as heavy as you think under that fur. But I don't think it hurts for them to carry a little extra in the winter cold.

I use a hay bag. I think they like it. I hang it on the fence between the pens and they can both eat.

We are having an ice storm and mine are ice-covered. It makes them frisky, for sure.

Handsome horses!

I use a net for my big pony sometimes as he likes to tromp on his hay. I would use a small hole net for my little guys but can't find a net small enough. All the "small hole" hay nets are too big. They could hold half a bale! I need one that will hold a large flake more or less. Any suggestions?

Nice to see a picture of Major, I have not seen him before. He is a handsome little man!

I use a net for my big pony sometimes as he likes to tromp on his hay. I would use a small hole net for my little guys but can't find a net small enough. All the "small hole" hay nets are too big. They could hold half a bale! I need one that will hold a large flake more or less. Any suggestions?

Nice to see a picture of Major, I have not seen him before. He is a handsome little man!
I got mine from Hay Chix. I've had it about 3 years and it hangs outside in all weather. It holds about 2 flakes of hay, max. It is great. They had a video to show how to fill the net.

The one in my photo will hold a couple of large flakes if I really stuff it but I put one large flake in it for Major and Clem and it works perfect. I got it off of Amazon and I think it was only $8-$10. It's held up for over a year now. The holes seem a good size and the net itself is thick and well made.

Thanks for the complement on Major. I guess I don't post him much since he isn't driving and most of my pics are in the driving forum. He's a really great little guy. Definitely more of the draft build. Complete with the furnishings on his legs even when he's shed out for summer. I'm planning on getting him driving this summer. He's a little more reactive than Clementine so he's gunna take just a bit more work. But he's also more willing than she is so... It'll be interesting
default_smile.png

I take tufts of hay and walk around the pasture and drop them around. It keeps them moving around for exercise and makes it a bit of a game that they have to use their senses to find the food... helps keep them from getting bored.

More movement=healthy hooves

Went down to trim feet today and snapped a couple quick pics of the hairy yak beasts. I'm afraid I have my work cut out for me this spring getting the winter weight off these guys
default_smile.png

attachicon.gif
20170114_152927.jpg

Clementine is my bay driving mare. She is 6 years old. She was born the day my son came home from the NICU so it's easy to remember her age. I have been driving her for 3 years this summer. I sent her for 60 days of training and was told she took right to it. I also did some training since Clementine is my first driving horse.

Major is the paint gelding. He is 16 years old. I got him as a stallion because I fell in love with him when I went to pick Clementine up as a weanling. The woman who owned him offered him to me at a really low price because the City was on her to get rid of some. She had more animals than she was zoned for. So I bought him and got tired of keeping the two of them separated so I had him gelded 18 months later. He has decent genes, is registered, and has a beautiful personality but I never intended to breed him. I'll leave that to the pros
default_smile.png
I am hoping to start ground driving with Major this spring and we'll go from there.

attachicon.gif
20170114_160029.jpg

Who else uses hay nets? I started using one this spring and I love it. Usually they would have their hay gone in 15 minutes. Now they have hay up to 3-4 hours. And if they aren't that hungry they will walk away from it. When I fed in a bin they would gobble it all up no matter what.

Latest posts

Back