2017 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty fabric!

Have you tried the thrift stores for velvet? That is where I get most of mine. If you need consecutive yardage, it wouldn't work, but if you can cut it into pieces, you might find some nice velvet garments. I got a beautiful silk dress recently with embroidered flowers. Not sure what on earth I will do with it, but I couldn't resist it.

Didn't even think of that. If I remember I'll check the thrift store one of the next times I go to town. They have tons of clothes, so perhaps I can find a little velvet dress or maybe even a pillow to repurpose.

I had to get my Kensignton blankets out for the boys as we had a couple of nippy nights and they are freshly clipped. One blanket was fine and the other--all the velcro had disintegrated! It was a mess. I have removed all the velcro and am in the process of redoing it. Instead of overlapping the velcro, I am sewing D rings for the velcro to go through. I think this will give me more flexibility for size.

Anyone else had their Kensingtons do this? What a pain! Why one and not the other? I did buy them in different years.

Been working on tanning some sheep skins, goat hides and cowhide rugs. Thinking I will sell some at the local farmers market.2017-05-14 08.21.29.jpg2017-05-14 08.21.09.jpg2017-05-14 08.20.54.jpg2017-05-14 08.20.29.jpg2017-05-14 08.27.51.jpg2017-05-14 08.27.37.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Marsha. The goat is the one pictured above the cow hides. Spent the last two days sanding and breaking down the cow hides, they came out really soft.

Thank you Marsha. The goat is the one pictured above the cow hides. Spent the last two days sanding and breaking down the cow hides, they came out really soft.
My mom has a sheepskin that she keeps on a chair. She really likes it. I think it must be warm and yet breathable. I have a deerhide from son's hunting. I tried to display it but it is too sheddy. Still have it; maybe will have a purse or something made from it. Do the cowhides shed?

The hides shed for a few weeks after tanning. I vacuum them to help remove the loose hair. Once the hairs that came loose during tanning come off, they should stop shedding.

I have a toolbox on my EZ car but needed something on my sulky to carry small supplies. I made a bag out of orange nylon and also sewed a reflective strip. It attached with heavy velcro and the pouch closes with velcro. I wasn't too pleased with the way the fusible interfacing worked on the nylon. If I make another, I will do some experimenting. I was scared to melt the nylon so didn't set the iron as hot as it needed to be. I'm not sure it even needs the interfacing. After I use it awhile I'll be able to tell better. I plan to carry a good knife an a lead rope.

orange bag.jpg

Latest posts

Back