Areally we getting close

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are recent pics. I'm pretty sure I jumped the gun on her due date. But not having any idea I would rather be safe. She has a pretty good bag no milk leaking yet Resized_20170216_165858(1).jpegResized_20170216_165846(1).jpeg

Yes not big from behind but some. We're she is so little and young. And first foal I just didn't know if they bag as much

In my experience, I've not had maidens follow a pattern. Each mare is different there's no set textbook answer when it comes to bagging, I've had maidens bag up and drip milk early and I've had experienced broodmares foal with no bag or any outward sign of imminent foaling at all. It would be nice if we always had absolute steps we could rely on, but the best we can do is closely monitor each mare so we can keep a journal of what is normal for her...of course then sooner or later she'll do something completely opposite LOL.

Is her udder soft and squishy and getting larger or is her udder firm feeling and warm?

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks great and glad you are seeing some sunshine
default_smile.png

I think its a good thing that not all mares express fluid before foaling. Those first few feeds that a foal gets from mum has all the "Good stuff" that a foal needs when first born.

They (Preg mares) sure like to keep their owners guessing
default_smile.png

Here is a picture of her bag tonight I have to hold my phone under her and snap the pic. She is so close to theach ground to see under?? Ant thoughts welcome

Resized_20170303_180746(2).jpeg

Judging solely on this one photo, I would say the mare is a fair ways off yet. The bag needs to fill considerably on both side, and closer to when she's ready, the nipples will be pointing more outwards and will be more "spread out" in appearance. You can also lift the tail and kneel down behind to get pics from the rear. As she gets closer, you'll see the bag growing in size, getting fuller, firmer and hanging lower.

Hi I agree with Monas reply. Tammy, instead of trying to take a photo from underneath your mare, can you pull her tail to the side and take one from behind?

I took these last night any magical insight

I think I really jumped the gun on her due date but, I guess better safe than sorry

Resized_20170310_180124.jpeg

Resized_20170310_180216.jpeg

Resized_20170310_180150.jpeg

Always better to be safe yes
default_yes.gif
I'm not seeing any bag, and no noticeable difference in her vulva. How far along do you think she could be? I know you said you got her and she was vet checked in Oct so that's 5-6 months along..what kind of preg, test did the Vet use?

He did an ultra sou d we could see the foal I have no idea how far along she is. He predicted Feb or Mar I just don't want her to be out to pasture so I bring her in at night I guess we will just keep up the surveillance and see what happens

Even though she's a maiden mare, I'd continue checking her bag and also her hind end....Her vulva will eventually elongate and her butt muscles will start relaxing.

I call it a "jello butt".
default_smile.png
She may not drop her milk until the very end, but some maidens can surprise you. It's also good for her to get used to you touching her there.

OK, that kind of gives us a timeline. If he predicted her to foal around Feb or March then he felt he was looking at a 5 to 6 month old fetus in Oct.. ↑↑ I agree with what's posted above. If your Vet was right she could foal at any time now. It's a very exciting but scary and stressful time for you I know. Good luck!!! I hope to see a beautiful healthy foal for you.

Likewise , Hope everything goes well for you, regular checks are the key and Your doing great by bringing her in at night
default_smile.png

Wishing you a safe foaling
default_smile.png

Her bag is know between her back legs and she seems to have slowed down in her movement so hopefully soon. I was wondering if anyone knows the risks of a line breed. I am pretty sure that the dad to this foal is also the mares dad. I can't get a positive from the lady I rescued them from. I know it is a common practice in some of the horse world just wasn't sure in the mini world

Line breeding in minis is done but it's not a common practice. My main concerns with it are conformation problems being passed on as well as the dwarf gene. All you can do is wait and see what she gives you..... The foal may turn out to be absolutely amazing!

Regarding the bag, if she's dropping her "milk", try massaging the bag and gently squeezing her teat(s) for some liquid. When it comes out sticky like honey, it means she's very very close.

One thing Ill add is that when she is locked up at night you will notice her udder will be alot fuller when you first see her in the morning to let her out. You will probably notice that when you go to bring her in at night , it will have decreased a little.

When you see that its staying the same throughout the day , you know your getting close
default_smile.png

Sounds like all is going really well.

Wishing you a safe foaling , I know it feels like it will never happen , but it will and will be totally worth it
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back