Aquarium

23 replies to this topic

#1 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

I got a small aquarium for Christmas.  It can only support a couple of fish and some snails.  I also have two teeny blue crayfish.  They are the most fun to watch for.  I wanted a small one to start; if we like it we can get a bigger one later.  This is an acrylic bow front style; it sort of magnifies  the interior.  Can you see the teeny crayfish?

Attached Thumbnails

• aquarium.jpg
  • wee cray.jpg

• Miniv, chandab and KLJcowgirl like this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#2 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Breeding miniature horses of color as well as miniature Mediterranean donkeys and Nigerian dwarf goats. Also raising india blue peafowl, super African geese, bantam cochins and mini rex rabbits. I enjoy training horses to jump and drive as well as riding hunter seat and saddleseat equitation.

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

That is so cool. I love fish, they are so fun to watch. Your crayfish will get much bigger, and in a heated aquarium, will turn bright blue!
  • Cayuse likes this

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#3 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:58 PM

I see them!
I did not know that they could be pets, or that they were blue!

#4 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

I see I misspelled aquarium.  It won't let me edit. 

#5 Miniv

Miniv

I just can't help myself :-)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,409 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

The little crayfish are bottom feeders, so they'll help keep things clean.  Wish we could have some, but we have Angel Fish, which are rather aggressive and would probably eat them!

Miniature Ventures -- Larry & Maryann Cerullo -- <a href="http://www.miniature...eventures.com/" target="_blank">http://www.miniature...ntures.com/</a>
Breeding for the continuous improvement of the miniature horse AND miniature classic Arenosa Shetland in athletic ability and beauty. Relocated to beautiful Powell Butte, Oregon in 2005! Come visit!

Our posts are only our opinions or based from our experiences since 1990 as miniature horse owners/breeders. Please take our advice or leave it.....It's a FREE country (last I checked!).

** "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless."
Proverbs 31:8 **

#6 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:03 AM

I lost a crayfish. I think the water was too warm. We removed the heater. Before I could get the cray out of the water the snails had tidied him up. They found him while I was staring and grieving. It's a jungle. Plan to get a turkey baster which might work better for removing small things than a net. Think I will wait to get another cray until I see how the other one gets along.

#7 Cayuse

Cayuse

Totally Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

Oh that is sad. I hope the second one does ok. We had a goldfish that lived about seven years and we lost him last summer so we bought two to replace him and they both passed away within a couple of months. I did nothing different at all, but they just did not thrive. Before that I had a bottom feeder fish, a plecto-somthing-or-other and he lived 10 years. You just never know which ones while thrive. I did not get anymore goldfish. I do miss them though.

#8 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Breeding miniature horses of color as well as miniature Mediterranean donkeys and Nigerian dwarf goats. Also raising india blue peafowl, super African geese, bantam cochins and mini rex rabbits. I enjoy training horses to jump and drive as well as riding hunter seat and saddleseat equitation.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your crayfish. They can be tricky. With it being a new tank, the water may need time to adjust and condition with the ph, hardness and ammonia levels. They sell test kits at pet stores for those things. I like the sticky thermometers for the side of the tank so you can keep the temp regulated. Some tropical specimens are so touchy.
  • Miniv likes this

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#9 Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit

Someone just shoot me!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

I had a 150 gallon Reef Tank and 110 gallon saltwater fish tank.  Shrimp and things like that was almost impossible to keep.  Where everything else flourished the shrimp would die so I finally stayed away from them.  Just  some info from past experience.

Carol

Carol Albritton

#10 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

The woman I got the crayfish from is also trying to raise shrimp.  She's having some luck, but not ready to sell yet.  I doubt I will try any of those.  I do like the little crays, though.  A salt tank would be so cool!  The marine things are so colorful.

• Vertical Limit likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)