Dealing with Chickens and Rabbits below freezing temps.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Need to explain that we are unable to provide heated water to both the rabbits and chickens because of limited AMPS. As it is we have to TIME our trough heaters for the horse troughs......We have 9 troughs.

Our 5 rabbits are in covered hutches in a protected area with a wind block. Right now I am switching out their water bottles morning and evening, bringing the bottles in by the wood stove to thaw. Also feeding extra food.........

We have two coops with large "run outs" and 22 hens total plus a rooster for each coop. Oh, and one of the coops includes 3 ducks. I am giving them all extra crumble mixed with wild bird seed.......mostly INSIDE their coops, except some for the ducks UNDER their coop which is where they go for shelter.

WATER is the headache. I put rubber water dishes inside of each coop because I have lights inside and it slows down the freezing. The ducks need water too so I am trying to switch a dish out for them, but they freeze to the ground. Right now I have several pans and I just add a few inches of water to them twice a day. It's getting scary!

Temps aren't getting out of the 20's as a high, plus we have 18 inches of snow on the ground! Does anyone have any brilliant ideas????

I wonder if the beverage cozies would help keep the rabbits' water open longer for them.

These things: http://www.jiffyshirts.com/libertybags-FT001.html?ac=Yellow&source=google_shopping&gclid=CN7y4_OG99ACFQK4wAod56EJVgSeems like just about everyone gives them away at one time or another. I know they seem to keep beverages cold longer in the summer, perhaps they'd help to keep water warmer in winter at least for awhile.

Not sure for the chickens and ducks; I have all I can do to keep water open for the horses, we don't have electricity at that end of the property, so I haul water to some of the horses, as there is no hydrant in their pen.

I put the beer can coozies and wine bottle cozies around rabbit water bottles and they keep them from freezing solid. I do not run heated buckets or troughs because we do not have power accessible at the paddocks and hubby says no extention cords. I like rubber tubs because you can smash the heck out of them and they dont break (doesn't keep them from freezing) but makes deicing easier. I have had much success floating soda bottles filled half way with salt water in the troughs to keep them from freezing. I water my ducks in rubber dishes kept off of the ground by keeping them inside of a tire, even with their splashing around, they don't feeeze to the ground.

It's not usually much of an issue here in SW OK, but we got down to 6 last night, with a wind chill of -31. I don't usually shut the chicken door, but I did last night. Their heated water was icy, but still thawed enough for them to drink. We have to run two long extension cords out to it.

I learned my lesson about topping off the horse tank when it freezes--the wind blew the water over the edge and it was a sheet of ice around the tank. I had to throw some old towels down so the horses could get to the tank.

I remember my dad chopping ice alot. Cold winter and hot summer each have their challenges.

The towels over the ice is a good idea!

Latest posts

Back