Does mare weight look ok?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxMissy

Reaction score
Hi!

Our ten year old mare that we bought about a month ago is still pacing a lot as she adjusts to the new surroundings, although not as much as at first. We are hoping she is not pacing off too much weight.

​Just took these pics this morning. Does she look ok to you?

She eats a cup of grain and 1/2 a flake of hay morning and evening right now.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

bitsy-1.jpg

bitsy-2.jpg

bitsy-3.jpg

How easy can you feel her ribs ? She doesn't look too skinny to me, but I wouldn't be afraid to have her a little heavy going into winter. If she has much of a winter coat in theses pictures I'd say a few more pounds might not hurt .What kind of grain do you have her on ? I wouldn't worry to much, maybe just up her grain or hay a tiny if she keeps pacing or loses more weight. I'm sure somebody with more experience will get on here and give you a good opinion.:) Congratulations on your new girl she's very cute !

Can you take her to a public scale, such as the grain elevator? Our vet also has a walk-on scale. I don't know how tall she is. It may be the way she is standing, but I think she may need more protein. Either a little alfalfa or check the protein in the feed. That does not sound like much to eat to me. Does she have a mineral salt block? She may need something in her diet, which is causing the restlessness. She is a pretty girl and I love her sweet face.

Thank you both.

She's about 32-1/2". She eats Purina Mini/Pony feed, 1 cup in the AM, one cup in the PM, along with her 1/2 flake of hay each time. She does have a mineral salt block which she uses.
​We're in south TX, so she won't be dealing with a hard winter.

I don't feel her ribs; they are definitely not visible.

I agree with the above in regards to her going into winter a little heavier. I think she looks quite good and Im glad to hear that she is starting to settle into her new home. I always increase my hay intake throughout winter as energy intake must increase to maintain body temp to keep horses warm during the colder months. The only downside to a wonderful thick coat that will keep your horses warm during the winter months is that you must constantly rub your hands along her body to check her condition.

What does your hay weigh per flake? 1/2 a flake twice a day doesn't sound like much, even for a 32" mini. Two cups of the pellets is probably only about 2/3#, as most pelleted feeds are about 3 cups per pound. What do the directions say for how much to feed of the mini feed? [i think there is a minimum recommendation at the bottom of the chart.

Again, thanks to all. I am taking in all of your feedback.

I looked at the guidelines and weighed her grain. Looks like we are on target with that, although we could maybe add just a bit more. Will have to weigh the hay to see if we are OK on that, too.

We'll have a vet here in the next few weeks for vaccinations, so they can evaluate as well. I think she is probably fine and we are just overly concerned, since it has been hard for her to adjust to her new surroundings:)

I think 'mini people' like their horses fattier than 'big horse people' would require . It won't hurt to see what a vet says that can look at her in person.

I had a bit of trouble keeping weight on my 2 year old last year. Now she's on 4 oz of Purina Mini and Pony, 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets and SmartPaks Weight Gain supplement , and of course her hay. I also let her graze nice grass for an hour each day. I weigh my horses night hay each time as I found (especially if it's compressed bales) that the weight can change a lot from flake to flake. Sounds like you're doing good
default_thumbup.gif

Oh and I forgot my horse share 1 cup of beet pulp (measured before it's soaked) and 3 oz of oats , too.

UPDATE: The equine vet was just here and he thought she looked perfect
default_smile.png
He said so many of them are overweight, but her weight was ideal.Very reassuring.

His only comment was that her teeth looked older than her registered age. (??) But since she is a pet, it really is not a big deal.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. We were overanalyzing!

UPDATE: The equine vet was just here and he thought she looked perfect
default_smile.png
He said so many of them are overweight, but her weight was ideal.Very reassuring.

His only comment was that her teeth looked older than her registered age. (??) But since she is a pet, it really is not a big deal.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. We were overanalyzing!
They are all individuals, and some wear their teeth faster than others, and some wear them slower; it's dependent on so many factors. [i have one that the equine dentist pegged as younger than he, as he's late to shed his caps. I know the day and almost hour he was born, since he was born here.]

Latest posts

Back