Bliss's Boo-boo - [10 days ago]

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
this actually happened about 10 days ago, but I've been busy doctoring and halter training, so haven't posted til now.

On the 11th, my birthday, my day started business as usual, didn't see anything amiss when I got to the corral (other than I left the pasture gate open, so had to bring the girls in, instead of let them out, oops). but, then...

I trimmed one mare and then trimmed Spotty, after I finished trimming Spotty, I go out to check on the rest of the girls, and Bliss is bleeding, she had cut her muzzle on something while I was trimming hooves.

Called 3 vet clinics and a retired vet (she lives up the road): regular

vet out of town, closest vet (one vet out of town, the other who knows),

retired vet has tendonitis or something (she no longer does stitches as

she drops instruments); and the vet we hauled to is coming off maternity

leave so only works half days. I hauled her to the vet, she's so small,

the vet and vet tech crawled in the trailer and stitched her up in there.

[i have a two horse straight load with divider, mare was in other side

reassuring her filly. Momma had a full udder when we got home; but that

was quickly resolved.]

My MIL took before pics with her phone in the trailer, hard to get a good

angle, and I took after pics when I got home. Stitches come out in two

weeks, vet put in solid stitches since the nose is a wiggly spot,

especially with a nursing foal.

Stitches didn't even last 3 days and two had come loose and a spot had puckered. We are now 3 days from removing stitches per vets 2 week orders and she only has like 3 or 4 out of 9 stitches left in place. they seem to have done the down, and with the swelling having gone down, the pucker doesn't even look very bad.

Thursday after I remove whatever stitches remain, I'll add a picture to the comments.

Everyday, I've been catching Bliss, putting ointment on her nose and giving her a halter lesson. She's coming along quite nicely. [As soon, as she's healed up, I need to get to work on Spotty's halter lessons.]

Bliss - Aug 11, 2016 - before 1.jpg

Bliss - Aug 11, 2016 - before 2.jpg

Bliss - Aug 11, 2016 - after 1.jpg

Bliss - Aug 11, 2016 - after 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks worse after stitches. Hope she heals without too much of a scar. Are you planning on keeping both babies?

Poor little bliss , I hope it heals quickly
default_smile.png

It looks worse after stitches. Hope she heals without too much of a scar. Are you planning on keeping both babies?
The shiny Swat made it look awful, as did the big thick green sutures.Bliss is staying, but I haven't decided about Spotty.

Poor little bliss , I hope it heals quickly
default_smile.png
It looks pretty good, now. I'll get new pics after the stitches are out.

Poor baby. The only good thing about it is that she will get lots of handling.

Those green stitches really stand out. Is green a new thing? Hopefully all will heal well and she can still be Miss America.

I like her name.

The green stitches were really bad when the vet was working on her, as her nose had blood on it. I haven't had to have anyone stitched before, so I was surprised at the green and thickness of the sutures. [Only stitches I've dealt with have been spay stitches on my cats and dogs, and they are usually dissolvable.]

He's probably going to be tall, AMHR only as are his parents, Dam is 38", Sire 35.75" (full brother topped at 37 or 37.5"). [buckeroo bred topside, HillTop's Little Vegas bottom side.] I'll have to get a more current picture, but will add one here. [Picture end of July at 2 months, newest I have, will try to get new ones soon.]

Spotty - July 23, 2016 - 1.jpg

Poor Bliss! and poor you I bet your heart was in your throat finding her like that since things usually look way worse than what they are. It looks like your Vet did a wonderful job tending to and sewing her up. Even though Bliss took some of the stitches out herself you probably will never know it was there in a month. Happy belated birthday wishes!

I am glad she is okay and healing up nicely. It is crazy how they get themselves into trouble sometimes.

He's probably going to be tall, AMHR only as are his parents, Dam is 38", Sire 35.75" (full brother topped at 37 or 37.5"). [buckeroo bred topside, HillTop's Little Vegas bottom side.] I'll have to get a more current picture, but will add one here. [Picture end of July at 2 months, newest I have, will try to get new ones soon.]

attachicon.gif
Spotty - July 23, 2016 - 1.jpg
eebie-jeebies on the wound.

Nice spotty blanket on the 23 Aug photo.

I don't think she will have a scar , your vet did a good job , great name btw ,the mare in my profile pic is also called Bliss
default_smile.png

I don't think she will have a scar , your vet did a good job , great name btw ,the mare in my profile pic is also called Bliss
default_smile.png
Very minimal scar at the moment, but with age/growth it'll probably completely disappear. Glad Bliss has a namesake.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back