Trimming hooves..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
So, my farrier came out today and trimmed my horses, but the filly turned into a fire breathing dragon. She reared, bucked, kicked, and bit. She kicked him hard a couple of times and refused to cooperate. So, I've decided to trim her myself from now on, my farrier doesn't deserve to be abused by my horse every time he comes out (she's always been bad for him, but was never this bad before).

I have a rasp, and did rasp her hooves down a little about 3 weeks ago so he wouldn't have to come back out so soon (noticed her hooves needed done again only 4 weeks after her trim, so I bought the rasp online and rasped them when it came in the mail).

Do I need to buy nippers and a hoof knife, or is the rasp enough?

I have done a lot of research on trimming hooves (though I don't claim to really know what I'm doing..), because I had planned to eventually do it myself, and I will continue actively learning more.

I also will have him check my work when he trims the others, to make sure I don't mess her up.

I would suggest to just continue on with your rasping them, but I would rasp them a little once every 2 weeks. Will make it easier on both of you and you can keep up better that way with just a rasp job. I would definitely buy a knife to have on to help remove parts of the frog as they shed off. You don;t want gunk gathering in there as it can help cause thrush.

You can use just a rasp, but will need to be done more often than actual trimming to keep up with it.

Regardless, she needs to learn manners. Sooner rather than later. Once was helping a neighbor who had lost the respect of her little 33" mare...and she too, quickly turned into a fire breathing dragon ... because she could. She tried that with me, so I put a soft rope over her nose and went about 10 rounds with her. She was screaming, blowing snot, rearing, striking. She sounded like a cougar was ready to rip her throat out. After about 15 minutes, she just plain gave up. She's now in my herd, and is one of the sweetest, best behaved mares because she cannot get away with it.

Latest posts

Back