Mare Question!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will do my regular udder, vulva and belly check when I go out to throw night hay. We have a crazy ice storm here tonight and a nice big full moon, so it wouldn't surprise me if she picked tonight just so we have to walk out in that in the middle of the night! (I think the mares enjoy messing with us like that! haha)

She is moving ahead nicely! Her elongation is improving, and her udder looks good. She should do a bit more filling, and nipples pointing more straight down. She should move baby a bit forward-of-center with some good rolling. She looks great!

She appears to be moving right along! Do you know what/who she is bred to?

default_aktion033.gif

She is bred to a mini appaloosa stallion. He's a black and white leopard, so we're hoping for either spots or a buckskin!

She's been VERY restless today, hasn't laid down at all (which is very weird for her). Bag is a little more full tonight, but nipples still aren't quite pointing straight down. Vulva and belly look the same as last night. We're waiting very impatiently!

She's been VERY restless today, hasn't laid down at all (which is very weird for her)
THAT^^^ not laying down is a very good sign that she will foal soon. In my mares, it never failed. I had breeder alert monitors on them, and they would be going off multiple times a night prior to foaling, and it seemed the night before or of foaling, they would not lay down, and I would get a decent sleep and I would wake up in panic, look at the TV screen, wondering if I accidentally turned the beeper off in my sleep! GOOD LUCK! I bet that will be a pretty foal!! Hope you get the nice color you are hoping for! Maybe you'll even get both of what you are hoping for...spots AND buckskin!

I, for one, am very excited about the "SPOTS" and hoping we see lots of them on this little one!

I didn't have foal monitors, so took up residence in the barn for all my births. But these mares can be so sneaky....In the beginning, I'd go for a cuppa or potty break, and come back to a birth completed or in progress. So, I learned to bring the coffee pot into the barn with all the coffee supplies, and no more "away" potty breaks -- even moved a little camper potty in the barn, too. Many times I actually slept in the stall with momma -- especially the sneaky ones!

Praying for a safe and uneventful delivery of a healthy little one! Keep us posted!!

We thought for sure last night would be the night, but alas still no baby. Last night she was super restless, her vulva was the longest it's been and her bag was hard with nipples pointing down. We watched her all night and she was acting very strange until about 6 in the morning. Now today her vulva seems short again and bag not as full. I'm not really sure what to think at this point (other than she likes fooling us!). She is now going on 7 weeks of being bagged up and about 3 weeks since we noticed her vulva starting to elongate. How much longer can she keep going like this and keep us guessing?! LOL I will post some pictures tonight after night check
default_smile.png

Took some more pictures tonight at dinner. I don't notice a huge change, but maybe that's because I see her every day? Interested to see if any of you notice a change!

20160329_202811_resized.jpg

20160329_202837_resized.jpg

20160329_202909_resized.jpg

20160329_202933_resized.jpg

20160329_203015_resized.jpg

Oh! Forgot to add that when I look between her back legs at her udder, I can sometimes see fluttering in her belly. Any idea what this is or why it's happening??

I think you have a little time yet, not long but a little time. She is making good progress filling her udder but I think It needs to fill a little more yet. Look for the udder to fill, the center line to subside and the nipples to separate and point down

She is elongating perfectly and I see she is enjoying having a good rub by the looks of her tail
default_smile.png

This is the hardest part for you and your doing super
default_thumbup.gif

Unfortunately not all mares like to play by the textbook, so I would be looking out for changes in her behavior ( going off her dinner, standing somewhere different in the pasture or even a different part of her stable)

Good Luck , you know we are all hanging to see what she is preparing for you
default_smile.png

Do you think we're looking at days or weeks? She's sure keeping us guessing!

Latest posts

Back