HC Minis - 2016 foaling thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
Looks like the powers at be archived my old thread, it was 4 years old, so guess it's time to start a new one.

Here's my post from yesterday to the old thread:

ooh, ooh, ooh... I almost forgot to post. I belly hugged 4 of 5 girls after supper tonight: I think I may have felt a flutter with Tana, Showy was just grumpy about her belly being touched (per usual), Misty maybe a flutter, and Baybe wasn't thrilled with being touched, so not sure. Missed hugging Bonny. So a couple of maybes. Now to get the mares on the mare supplement, I bought one to try, our hay is a little light on Lysine, so I hope the supplement has it (I didn't look, just thought I'd try a mare supplement this year).

Since we are starting new threads for 2016, thought I'd remind everyone who I've got. My pictures are a bit older, will have to update.

We'll start with my main stallion, Topper, a bay son of Buckeroo's Top Cat:

This is last summer when he was turned out with his girls

Topper - June 24, 2015 - checking out mare pen.jpg

This one is a few years old:

topper - aug 17, 2011.jpg

Here's Tana, silver bay dun granddaughter of Hilltop's Little Vegas:

Tana - June 3, 2007 - good 1.jpg

Here's Bonny, silver smokey cream daughter of Little Kings Buckeroo God (AKA: George):

Bonny - july 17, 2014.jpg

Here's Misty (with her 2012 foal by Topper):

Misty's foal - june 21, 2012 - cute.jpg

Here's Showy (older picture):

Showgirl - june 27, 2007 - pretty.jpg

Edit while I can: Topper is 35.75", Tana is 38", Bonny is 38", Misty is 38" and Showy is 36.5".

Last edited by a moderator:
And, the other pair.

Here's Che`, 31" silver buckskin (picture is older, he's about 20 now):

Che` - july 19, 2008 - AMHR reg pic - left.jpg

And, his 32.5" girlfriend, Baybe (need to work on getting a good picture of her, this one is old):

Baybe - Oct 5, 2011.jpg

And, their paddock pal, Tilly (around 32-33"):

Tilly - July 17, 2014 - with Che.jpg

First round:

Topper and Tana gave me a grulla colt.

Topper and Misty gave me a silver black colt.

And, Topper and Bonny gave me a smoky silver black colt.

Any predictions for this round?

FYI - Tana tests EE, Aa, no cream (silver and dun tests weren't available at that time, but she is silver bay dun).

I haven't tested Bonny, but based on pictures and best guess, I'd say she is silver smoky cream, rather than cremello as she is registered.

Showy is sorrel, so that leaves very little for her to contribute to the mix. [i think her dam was black and white and her sire was sorrel or palomino if I remember correctly.]

Misty is straight up silver black.

Che` is a silver buckskin, Baybe is an odd shade of sorrel/chestnut. [Oh, and Tilly is chocolate, yes that's what ADMS calls it.]

I remember when Tilly arrived!! So cute! And she's grown into a lovey girl!
Thank you. She's a bit of a chunk, but that tends to happen to donkeys housed with horses. The horses (and donkey) in that paddock get the small squares of grass hay that I buy. [Our homegrown tends to be a mix of grass and alfalfa, too rich for donkey girl.] Her token 1 cup of pellet mix might be a bit too rich for her, but sometimes she shares with Baybe, so must eat the same, just smaller amount.

And, it looks like that Mare supplement does have added lysine, so that part is good.

Tried the string test tonight...

Tana - strong circle

Bonny - little circle

Showy and Misty - movement, can't remember for certain, but I think both were back and forth.

Tilly and Baybe both had movement, but I left my nail on a string back at the feed room, so hung my pocket knife from a piece of baling twine, so not sure if that's valid.

Will have to check my old thread or the string test thread, and see what they said last time.

Exciting Chanda
default_smile.png
Fingers crossed for everyone
default_smile.png

I rarely take fuzzy winter pictures and actually post them. And, it's been rather warm for this time of year, so we have an icy, muddy mess everywhere. Would you settle for a couple more from last summer when I turned him out with his mares?

He couldn't find the gate to join the girls:

June 24, 2015 - Topper can't find gate.jpg

And, watching his 3 year old sons in the next pasture over:

June 24, 2015 - Topper watching his 3 year olds in other pasture.jpg

Oh, and that would be Dolly on the wrong side of the fence; I don't have enough pastures, so just let Dolly and Caddy out in the grassy area between the pastures, with the other horses close by, they don't go far.

Dolly is the cremello in the picture (on the right, outside the pasture).

Tana is probably the one you are thinking of, she's on the left (just behind a panel, but still in the pasture).

Wonder if I'll get his sort of picture array this time around:

Tana, first thing in the morning, June 23, 2012:

Tana - june 23, 2012 - 2.jpg

Tana - June 23, 2012.jpg

And, after lunch, June 23, 2012:

Tana and foal - June 23, 2012.jpg

Oh, and Tana just pretends to be a palomino, she's a silver bay dun. [Tested EE, Aa, no cream (silver and dun tests not available at the time of testing; but her color proves silver, and her grulla colt proves dun).

I just read an article on FB about an underground town in Havre Montana. Are you near that? It looks really cool! I would like to see it if I ever get to vacation again!

OOOO, not fair! You guys are making me miss MT soooooo much!!

I love those pics of Tana! 1 - she's a beautiful mare and 2 - the series is so ...wow. kinda like some of mine actually, but different.

Wish I'd gotten pics like that of Koalah the day she foaled in 2011. Not showing signs of being ready while in the "stall", then I moved her to her normal eating spot/bucket in the barn up the hill from the house and with a splatter/splash - Flashi arrived while Koalah standing up with her head buried to her forelock in her feed bucket...

Mares are so funny.

You know that bay horses are just not my favorites (yet, I sure had a lot of them!!) - but I REALLY like that dark bay fella of yours.

I just read an article on FB about an underground town in Havre Montana. Are you near that? It looks really cool! I would like to see it if I ever get to vacation again!
Havre is about 3.5 hours from here. I haven't taken the tour yet, but will one day if we have time when we are making a run over there for parts or whatever (we get there once or twice a year).

I've thought of several names, and some where have a list of names for foals by Topper, but nothing for Che`, so...

How about some name suggestions for the hopeful foal by Che` out of Baybe.

Che` is registered "He11 Coulee TTTs Paper Mache`" (those should be Ls, but the computer will change it when I hit send) and Baybe is registered "Squire Montana Moolight Baybe. The prefix I use is "He11 Coulee". Che` already has a foal named Paper Doll (AKA: Dolly).

So, go...

That should read "Moonlight Baybe" forgot the N and can't edit this late.

Baybe is about 32.5" tall and Che` is 31" tall.

As far as I know Baybe is a dark chestnut, but at times she almost looks bay. She's not been color tested (I'd have to dig up her papers to get parent colors). Che` is silver buckskin; sire is palomino, dam is silver bay. I'd love a rich dark buckskin pinto colt out of this pairing, if all the stars would align for me that would be great.

Chanda, you have such an exciting line up of beautiful horse this year!!!!!! I can not wait to see your foals!!!!!!❤️ Do you have a cam on Mare Stare?? Oh one more thing your quilt is gorgeous!!!!! If you have made any others I would love to see pictures of them!!!!!!

Thank you, Misty's Mom. I have more quilts pictured in the craft forum, several are on the 2016 projects thread.

Sorry, no barn cam, no power at that end of the property. But, I'll try my best to keep up with pictures when we get closer. I need to figure my earliest day 300.

Ok, finally looked it up and calculated...

I pasture bred last summer, I turned Topper out for 3 weeks with his girls. First turn out day was June 24, 2015, so... My earliest 300 day date is April 19, 2016; my shortest gestation mare is 307 days, but as they were all maiden, things could change for the second time around. One girl is maiden, if she took, so anything goes with her.

I have just one hand breeding date for Baybe, 7-27-15 (also wrote down 7-25-15); so her 300 days will be: May 20, 2016. She had 4-5 foals before I bought her, but was pasture bred, so I don't know her routine. If she is pregnant, this will be her first foal for me. [i bought her bred, but she aborted late term.]

Latest posts

Back