Buy a Stallion or a one time breeding fee?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepeppylass

Reaction score
looking for advice, or opinions on what is more sensible.

So our goal is to eventually become a smaller hobby farm breeding quality AMHA/AMHR double registered show stock with our own stallion and band of mares.Right now, however, we have one mare we plan to breed this spring, and the stud fee is 750$. We would have to haul her 6 hours(each way) to the stallion owners facility, so add in another 250-300$ for transport to and from, as well as the mare care costs while she is there (4$/day).

Another option is to purchase a well bred proven stallion with a successful show history for both himself and his get, priced at 950$. We would have to haul him, 5 hours each way, but could be done in one day, so estimated fuel costs 200$.

If you were in our shoes, would you invest in a stallion, or just pay the breeding fees and wait?

Does the stallion compliment your mare? Is he young enough to be around awhile so he could be your foundation stallion when you start your plans and add mares? Do you have facilities and knowledge to handle a stallion and keep him happy and healthy?

Personally, I'd probably go for the stallion, as I worry terribly when I've sent mares out (only saddle horses have been sent out, as I had no need for a stallion for them for minimal breeding I ever planned to do). Where I live now there isn't a standing mini stallion for hundreds of miles, so it's easier for me to own a stallion. [And, I do love my boys, I have two.]

I have a good amount of experience, almost 20 years, with riding and training full size horses. I have not owned a stallion of my own but have ridden a few for clients and been a ranch hand/assistant when hand breeding mares. I have a lot to learn, I don't think we're ever done learning, and I do have a great repro vet just 3 miles from me.

He is 16 years old, A/R registered and just a touch taller than my mare now. (he's 34", shes 32.75") Our current setup is 1/2 an acre of grass turnout, 2/3acre overgrazed pasture (green but not much to nibble) and 1/3acre drylots with a 2 stall (8x10 ea) barn. We have plans to divide the pasture into 4 pens with an alley down the middle so we can rotate as needed, as well as a renovation for the barn this summer. Ideally in the next three years we will sell this place and move to a larger piece of land and build our "dreamhome" setup.

While not terribly tall for your current mare and I know it probably varies from horse to horse, I'm thinking it might be more advisable to have the stallion in the middle or lower end of the size range you prefer. The stallion should be finer built than the mares to keep it easier on the mares for foaling.

I like the Bs, my main stallion is 35.75", most of my mares are 37-38" (so pushing it); two of the three in my first crop of colts are 36.5" and 37" tall (the third I sold, so I don't have his measurement for permanent papers). My stallion is by a 34" stallion out of like a 30" mare (I'd have to check her height); and while he got safely on the ground, he also out grew both parents. You might look into if he's a size reducer, some are.

Thanks I will have to check. There is another stallion listed for a bit more, but he is younger and smaller. I may have to give him more thought. I just keep trying to justify breeding fees that cost more than buying a comparable stallion. Do you think I have enough pasture & drylot to keep everyone comfortable here? I'm so used to big horses that I worry they dont have enough room!

More room is always good.

Mine spend the majority of their time on drylot, the biggest drylot is 50x90'. The B stallion has his paddock, it's about 16x50'. This is their drylot space, they are rotated through pastures as grass allows and depending on what they are used to, I think my pasture space for the mares is about an acre (the geldings have access to the 5 acre bull pasture for part of the summer, I hate bringing them in from that pasture, so don't put them out there often, it's usually recovering from winter grazing, so we don't let the horses graze it much).

The biggest issue with having your own stallion is the extra work that comes with them. If buying to breed you have basically bought two + horses so you need to decide not if it makes more sense financially at the deed time, but further in time when you've got an extra mouth to feed when you are focusing on foal too.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, that answers that! spoke with a family friend who I thought had gone through with retiring her whole herd of stallions. She changed her mind and isn't quitting anytime soon. I have 6-7 stallions to choose from now, all A/R registered, and within 25 miles of us. So now the hardest part, picking the man for my lady!

If I remember correctly... With your friend's permission, you can post pictures of her stallion and your mare, if you would like help picking a stallion that might be a good cross with your mare. 25 miles is a nice close distance to haul a mare for breeding.

Look at the stallion's pedigree.....for the heights behind him. If the stallion is taller than the mare, be sure his bone structure is more refined.

Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of both your mare and the potential stallion(s) you are considering. For example, make sure

both don't have a lower tail set.....or a narrow chest..... In my opinion, balanced conformation is more important than color.

Last but NOT least, consider the personality of the stallion. The disposition (both good AND bad) is often passed on....and that goes for the mare too.

If I remember correctly... With your friend's permission, you can post pictures of her stallion and your mare, if you would like help picking a stallion that might be a good cross with your mare. 25 miles is a nice close distance to haul a mare for breeding.
I'm 95% sure you are correct, either way I haven't received pictures yet of most of her stallions. I am considering a cremello A/R stallion she has, but I am waiting to see how these other boys measure up! I will share pics (with her permission) when I get more info.

Post #10 - Like....hit "like" button..... hit "like" button.... hit "like" button....
default_yes.gif

now to read the rest of the posts in this thread.

Latest posts

Back