Maiden mare size

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellesan

Reaction score
Hello, my maiden mare Tinkerbell is right at 182 days pregnant. Of course she has her fuzzy winter coat, but I feel like she's bigger for this stage than we would expect. My vet thinks she might be carrying a larger foal. She is 32" and so was the stud. Just wondering what more experienced eyes think? Thanks!

Sorry! Thought I added it before ?

image.jpeg

She's very fuzzy, so looks bigger. She looks fine to me. We have two mares that are due in April (one beginning and one late) and they are huge. Both have had foals before. The one due beginning of April had her first foal last year and I thought she was too big. She is 29" and sire was 30 1/4". Foal was tiny and expected to mature under 30".

Thanks so much, that makes me feel better.

I have a mare who always gets HUUUUUUUUUUGE, and I mean HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE when in foal. People would see her when she still would have MONTHS to go, and think she HAD to be carrying twins. I wish I could share a pic, but I'm at work and can't access them.

Every foal she had was TINY. She would just get HUGE with fluid.

I've also had some BIG foals from mares who didn't show much. You just never can tell!

Not to worry. Here are a couple of my mares. You would think they would deliver in minutes, but both went 4-6 weeks longer than these pictures. Some just carry LARGE and WIDE! Both babies were normal size and weight, and mom's had no problems delivering.

Belle 4-22-09.jpg 100_1276.jpg

Not to worry. Here are a couple of my mares. You would think they would deliver in minutes, but both went 4-6 weeks longer than these pictures. Some just carry LARGE and WIDE! Both babies were normal size and weight, and mom's had no problem delivering.

Wow those girls are BIG!! Ok you guys are making me feel better. She's my first mini and first foal so I want to know as much as I can and be prepared.

CheyAut, thanks for your input and descriptions as well!

So what happens if the foal is big?? Lots of lube and make sure the vet is there? Thanks!!!

We had a maiden mare at 30" and bred to a 30 1/4" stallion, have a colt that is going to mature between 36-38". She delivered the front feet and was working on the head. I grabbed the front feet and pulled when she was contracting. She tore a little but healed just fine. She was bred to a even smaller stallion (30") for last year. She lost that foal because the foal presented wrong. One back leg was forward next to his head. We thankfully was able to get him delivered without losing. the mare. Vet would have not made it out in time to save mare, had we waited.

There is a pinned thread at the top of the forum that you should read over and over and over, until it becomes second nature to you. We all re-read how to be there to help our girls, because some do have problems -- sometimes one who has never had problems before. So, it is up to us to "train" ourselves to be ready to get in there and help. Having a vet close by, is a real positive, and it is fine to call the vet at the first sign of a problem, but then it is up to you to do what it takes to help along the way until the vet arrives. Much better to have the vet meet and greet a new little one safely on the ground, and that will be fine with the vet, too.

So, we are always here to help, and I'm always available by phone if you need me in the middle of the night if there's a problem. I've "delivered" several babies from all over the world by phone -- and most times at night. So, never a worry, we're always here, and always available. We take our "Auntie" jobs VERY seriously, and want nothing more than to get these little ones safely to the ground, healthy and strong.

As you can tell, many of us "Aunties" have had experiences that can help others, so always feel free to come to the forum in a time of concern, or call. We're here!!

Not to worry. Here are a couple of my mares. You would think they would deliver in minutes, but both went 4-6 weeks longer than these pictures. Some just carry LARGE and WIDE! Both babies were normal size and weight, and mom's had no problems delivering.
attachicon.gif
Belle 4-22-09.jpg
attachicon.gif
100_1276.jpg
Omg hahaha! Greatest photos ever! Literal meatballs! Soooooooo cute!

Ellesan she's adorable what was she bred to?

I have some of those type of wide load pics, in some cases w/ foals the next day, too!

I am not as familiar with foaling issues in the smaller mares/mini horses since most of our Shetlands have been significantly larger, but this forum is GREAT at support, teaching and just BEING THERE for you when needed.

I love the pinned threads and reread them every time I'm getting ready for a birth - to prepare myself so things are "automatic" if necessary. We are getting ready for 3 maiden mares to foal, one of whom is much smaller than any other mare I've ever had/been around to give birth. I'm getting "antsy" over her... guess it's sorta like the first time jitters, but I plan on reading the posted topics (again) and may end up putting her in a temp stall/pen close to the house for her to foal in. Don't know yet...

Thanx for posting the pics of your mare - she's a cutie! What are her and the stallion's bloodlines? Are you looking for a show horse baby, a future driving horse, a little "work horse" or a family pet (or all of the above combined into one)? Are you going to do a "name game"?
default_smile.png

Paula, not to worry. I've foaled out many a 27-28" little momma with no problems. The key with them is to be there just in case, because there isn't much room in there, and if they have a problem, it's important to get working on them very quickly -- before baby has come to far to easily be "moved around".

That said, most of my very little ones did an excellent job getting babies to the ground. Only lost 1 baby from a mare who was less than 28", and it was because she went into labor while I was at work, and by the time I got there, baby was stuck and so "committed" I couldn't reposition in time to save her -- a little filly. I did get the foal out, and saved the little momma, which is always the most important.

We had a maiden mare at 30" and bred to a 30 1/4" stallion, have a colt that is going to mature between 36-38". She delivered the front feet and was working on the head. I grabbed the front feet and pulled when she was contracting. She tore a little but healed just fine. She was bred to a even smaller stallion (30") for last year. She lost that foal because the foal presented wrong. One back leg was forward next to his head. We thankfully was able to get him delivered without losing. the mare. Vet would have not made it out in time to save mare, had we waited.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yikes, that is what worries me. Luckily my vet boards her horse at my barn, and barn owner lives on property. Everyone is so excited and on board for baby watch. Thanks!

There is a pinned thread at the top of the forum that you should read over and over and over, until it becomes second nature to you. We all re-read how to be there to help our girls, because some do have problems -- sometimes one who has never had problems before. So, it is up to us to "train" ourselves to be ready to get in there and help. Having a vet close by, is a real positive, and it is fine to call the vet at the first sign of a problem, but then it is up to you to do what it takes to help along the way until the vet arrives. Much better to have the vet meet and greet a new little one safely on the ground, and that will be fine with the vet, too.

So, we are always here to help, and I'm always available by phone if you need me in the middle of the night if there's a problem. I've "delivered" several babies from all over the world by phone -- and most times at night. So, never a worry, we're always here, and always available. We take our "Auntie" jobs VERY seriously, and want nothing more than to get these little ones safely to the ground, healthy and strong.

As you can tell, many of us "Aunties" have had experiences that can help others, so always feel free to come to the forum in a time of concern, or call. We're here!!
Diane, thank you so much. I have been reading the pinned threads and all the great info here. I'm so thankful you all are so willing so share experiences and advice!!

I have some of those type of wide load pics, in some cases w/ foals the next day, too!

I am not as familiar with foaling issues in the smaller mares/mini horses since most of our Shetlands have been significantly larger, but this forum is GREAT at support, teaching and just BEING THERE for you when needed.

I love the pinned threads and reread them every time I'm getting ready for a birth - to prepare myself so things are "automatic" if necessary. We are getting ready for 3 maiden mares to foal, one of whom is much smaller than any other mare I've ever had/been around to give birth. I'm getting "antsy" over her... guess it's sorta like the first time jitters, but I plan on reading the posted topics (again) and may end up putting her in a temp stall/pen close to the house for her to foal in. Don't know yet...

Thanx for posting the pics of your mare - she's a cutie! What are her and the stallion's bloodlines? Are you looking for a show horse baby, a future driving horse, a little "work horse" or a family pet (or all of the above combined into one)? Are you going to do a "name game"?
default_smile.png
Yes, I am learning so much from all the other forum posts. I will definitely read often and come for more advice. Well here's my mares pedigree (attached photo if I can ). I got the mare just 1.5 years ago to be a therapy horse. She is doing amazing at that, as well as birthday parties and photo shoots. Would love to learn to drive, and possibly show...so yes looking for, bred for, all of the above.

Mare

image.jpeg

Omg hahaha! Greatest photos ever! Literal meatballs! Soooooooo cute!

Ellesan she's adorable what was she bred to?
Thanks! ?Here she is with the stud, 32" bay roan, registered name Little r dream paladine

image.jpeg

Thanx for sharing some BEAUTIFUL pics. Yep, she does good at her "work" - I LOVE THAT!

You have a chance at a lot of different colors for a baby! WOW. This is going to be fun. What is the pedigree behind the stallion? I recognized a couple names in your girls' pedigree, but have no first hand knowledge of them.

Have you already figured out some names or are you waiting until she foals?
Thanks Paula!

I would love a buckskin or a bay. My riding horse is a bay roan paint with lots of white--I would like something different. but I'll take whatever as long as mom and baby are healthy. Sire has some good blood lines--love me tender and flying farms little blue boy I believe but can't find the pedigree right now.

Names!!! I like the barn name Scout whether it's a boy or girl. But I have no idea how to do the registered name. How do you pick that?

Latest posts

Back