Your Drive Day

556 replies to this topic

#551 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

I took Rowdy to town today to ground drive with my sister.  She got a horse last fall that was trained and even shown driving, but he is  not ready for prime time. 

We were out 2 hours; don't know how far we walked.  Went into the Ag barn and maneuvered, then around the baseball field where a guy was mowing, then downtown, and stopped to visit with our mom. There wasn't a lot going on today, but we maneuvered around poles, railings, crossed streets, and had to cross two narrow bridges. Rowdy is definitely not ready for the cart in town; we will need to ground drive many more times.  He does not react safely to things he doesn't like.  But he was much better today with people approaching him to pet.

(I am not wearing long sleeves because it's cold.  Sun protection--it is 88 today!!)

Attached Thumbnails

• Rowdy and Fred.jpg

• Cayuse likes this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#552 Cayuse

Cayuse

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Big Horses
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Cayuse, you make all that snow sound like fun.

I'm ready for the "fun" to end and Spring to start! Its been cold! Seriously though, it HAS been a fun winter. The minis kept me from getting glum during the gloomy months.

Nice picture of you and your sister. Do the minis get along?

#553 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

They have only met twice. We did not allow them to get too pally. This was a business outing.

#554 Cayuse

Cayuse

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

A "business outing", that made me smile 😀. That's a good way to describe it.

Edited by Cayuse, 20 March 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#555 Cayuse

Cayuse

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

MajorClem is it auction week? Good luck if it is!

#556 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:31 PM

Ground drove Rowdy today.  We went all the way around our old route, past the places he bolted with me.  He did very well, until he saw a neighbor lunging her big horse 1/4 mile away.   Why in the world would that trigger something???? Glad I wasn't in the cart.   But our circles are paying off; he is much more responsive to pressure.  His transitions are good and he has a fairly good Stand.  We will do lots more ground driving.  It's interesting that we had to go back almost to the beginning of training.  I guess one has to do that sometimes.

That trotting for the transitions in ground driving is sure hard on me!

#557 Cayuse

Cayuse

Can't stop now

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
    Little Horses
    and Ponies!!!

Posted Today, 11:32 AM

Maybe he tought the other horse was loose, running free. Mine have been known to get worked up sometimes when the see another horse being lunged, usually after they see it a few times it gets to be routine.
I wonder if it triggers a "flight" response, they see another horse running and they worry that there might be something to "run from" so they want to run too.

I had a heck of a time with Peanut last week, I was ground driving him and he spent quite a lot of time in the air. Think Lippazan moves. Part of it was we started off and he was "pinched" by the girth, well I fixed that immediately, but the "airs above the ground" continued. He finally pooped out and behaved but did I have my hands full. I took him out the next day and he was 100% a good boy, back to his usual self, so we kept it short and sweet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Marsha Cassada