Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zorro, my three year old colt, beginning his ground driving training. I start them with one line and then we move to two lines when they are understanding voice commands and become consistent. He is very smart and will walk along, lower his head, step his foot over the line so it's between his front legs, then walk along. He will then lower his head again and step his foot BACK over the line so it's running along side his body as it should. He does this over and over on our walks.

That's a good skill to have. Zorro looks like he is off to a good start! I saw a video last year of a mule team, I think there were 40 mules, and you could see when the did a tight turn they would step over the traces like that. I think the person that showed me the video called it "jumping the traces" but I could be wrong. They all seemed to know what they were doing and did the job without batting an eye.

Northwolf, how is Teddy doing???

Thanks for the good wishes for Teddy
default_smile.png
It seems he recovers quickly. I took him to a very short walk the first time yesterday and he was very happy to walk again. His moves were way less shaky than last week! Not completely cured yet, the lameness is still there, but much better.

I registered Moony in a horse clinic to be gelded next week... His behaviour on sunday when we met some horses on road was very, very bad... They had a mare who was in heat, so Moony was almost out of control. That was the point I decided to geld him, he's no longer substainable as a stallion. The gelding operation will be on wednesday. After that, I hope to start driving with him without restrictions.

@Chamomile: Looks great! I was on a workshop on saturday were I learned how to work with (big) horses in the woods and they showed us how to do the first steps to train a young work horse to pull wood trunks. They took a lunge line and drawed it between the horses legs (fore and back legs) and then tightened it up in all variations to learn the horse to not kick. It's very important to do this, for driving horses too. So you're on the right way with Zorro!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope all goes well for Moony next week. It sounds like he will be much happier once it is over.

I found a home for the infamous "spotted harness". I gave up trying to sell it, there was absolutely no interest in it which surprised me as it was a nice harness. So I donated it to a rescue here that runs a small used tack shop to help support itself. They were happy to get it and I was happy to see it go. I also donated my old show saddle and that was not as easy to let go. It was a bittersweet day.

Hope Moony's gelding went smoothly. Was he the only one, or were there several that day?

I, too, have donated items that gave me relief to pass on, for one reason or another. But I'm sorry you let your show saddle go.

The weather was balmy today after 4 days of ice and snow. The roads are impassable so we had to work on the pavement. I have kept Dapper Dan confined in the small pasture so he will be less likely to slip and hurt himself. Both boys are so dirty it's embarrassing to be seen with them. DD is starting to shed a few hairs.

My boys are dirty too. They get dandruffy this time of year. I might vacuum them tomorrow and see if that helps a little.

My husband and I ground drove both minis together today for a half hour, we traded off half way through so we both got to work each one. I am trying to get Peanut used to working in company and he was pretty good about it. Very relaxed. Cappy started off pretty flippantly, but settled down. He likes my husband better and is less testy with him. He likes men better than women in general. He was always handle by men.

I ordered a new bridle for him as he doesn't quite fit his old one any more. And a wider bit. I have come to the conclusion he is better in a regular snaffle. He is wise enough to realize he can lean on the mullen

mouth with no real repercussions but the snaffle will give him feedback if he tries leaning on that, the little stinker

I might contact the woman that helped me two summers ago and see if she is still giving lessons. It would be nice to start back up again if she is.

Thanks Cayuse and Marsha. I hope the castration will be without complications. I'll bring him tomorrow to the clinic and the vets will make an analysis of his health before they start the operation. They will put him to a general anesthesia and he will stay 2-3 days. He does not have cryptorchidism and is developed normally, but he's already 8 years old, so the operation is potentially risky. I hope the cold temperatures will not affect negative, we have a minimum of 5 degrees and max is 23, but from thursday on, it will be warmer.

Finally, I managed to hitch Moony and Massai together on saturday! It was the very first time for Moony pulling in a team. I was waiting too long for this step (don't know why, I guess I was frightened about that), but on saturday, I suddenly thought "Just do it!!" and I did it
default_smile.png
It was GREAT! I selected an easy route without any scary things. Moony knows each tree and stone on this route. Due to the cold wind, there were no other riders or drivers around. Perfect for Moony's debut ;) He was very gentle while I harnessed him (I was alone). Then, we started... And Moony pulled, like it was the most normal thing in the world!!! Even trotting was easy for him. It seems he very likes this job! I had to request Massai to pull more to not let Moony doing the work.

20180224_121606%5B1%5D.jpg

We even did a turn. As I unhitched them, Moony stood absolutely still until the command to leave the carriage came. I always attached importance to calm down the horses on hitch and unhitch.

20180224_193927%5B2%5D.jpg

(they stand free on the photo, traces are not tied)

I'm very happy with this first time! Looking forward to drive more with him. When the gelding operation is over and Teddys shoulder is cured, we hopefully start to drive three-horse hitch. I've found a very good used three-horse line recently.

Teddy is better too. His shoulder is on the way to heal, but it takes a little time. I clipped his head, neck and belly before his shoulder was hurt and he's wearing blankets now, because he freezed and shuddered. Even when I walked with him he was shuddering, so he wears a walker rug. This looks pretty curious, but it doesn't matter ;)

@Cayuse: driving lessons are a good idea
default_smile.png
It helps to have another person around to calm down the horse and the driver too. I was looking for YEARS to find someone who helped me, but gave up and tried to do all alone (my husband was helping a few times when it was necessary, but it's not his hobby, so if it's not urgent, he won't support). This works, but it takes more time to do it alone and it could be very helpful to have tips from a professional. I would take lessons too if I had a trainer.

Glad to see Moony is working so well. I think many horses work best in a team; some just don't like working by themselves.

You do such a good job of training by yourself.

The horse I got recently, Buckly, is nine. Since he is older, the vet had me drop him off so he could be monitored after the gelding. Usually I just stay till it's over and the horse can stand safely. Gelding is pretty routine here. Because of his age, however, the vet had me drop Buckly off and I picked him up about 4 hours later. He was already almost completely awake and had no problems. A couple of days later he still had a little swelling and seemed to enjoy the hydration when I hosed off the blood. He had not been handled much in his life and I was careful when I used the water.

I am always glad when it's over. I have never had one done in midwinter; we usually do ours in late fall or spring when there are few flies.

I will keep my fingers crossed for an uneventful day with Mooney tomorrow. My three boys were all gelded late, at around 7-9 years. I did not own them when they were gelded, but the all came through it fine. I was told my welsh pony had a longer time recuperating, but he was a cryptochid and the surgery was not an easy one.

All three have retained a little bit of that "hey, look at me, I'm the MAN!!" attitude that stallions can have, but a lesser level.

I hope you can give us an update when his procedure is done!

I had to cook supper so I didn't finish my post and then it was too late to edit.

Northwolf, I see your guys are in loose ring snaffles. How do you like that bit? I almost ordered!one to try as I am tired of always fiddling with the half cheek hooking on everything (it is me and my hands, not so much the horses doing anything).

I have not emailed the instructor yet, but I will tonight. She helped me when we first started Cappy two summers ago and then I had some health issues and I had to take a break and then suddenly it was!winter!

I have completed everything she suggested we do with him and now need to take it to the next level. And I would like to show Peanut in pleasure driving this summer, but I need some moral support !

It IS difficult to work alone, my husband can help and we usually do OK, but we could do better, lol. Around here there is not a lot of trainers that want to bother with minis. I live in an area that is pretty equestrian oriented but it is either hunter/jumpers or Morgans, so if she is not instructing anymore I will have to continue to muddle through ?

Marsha, About the saddle, it made me sad all weekend. More than I expected. I had so many happy times in that saddle. I will admit to having a difficult time adjusting to the fact that my "big horse" days are over. I even looked at horse sale ads this weekend but common sense overruled!

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed, folks
default_smile.png

Just got a call from the vet that Moony woke up. He's ok. He will stay under surveillance one more day and if there are no complications, I can pick him up tomorrow. Convalescing will take 10-14 days and he has to be separated from the other horses that time.

Cayuse, I use loose ring snaffles because my horses like them more than the half cheeks. It's a kind of french link bits, but with rounded center piece. Never had problem with these bits, I would recommend loose ring snaffles for driving if the horses accept it better than driving bits
default_smile.png

I picked up Moony on friday. He's ok, no swelling and the wound looks good. The doc was very confident. He needs now a few more days resting in the box, according to the vet, it may be 10 to 14 days of resting. He don't likes it
default_sad.png
Yesterday, I took him out for a first walk. I looked at his long mane and was a bit frustrated... He may will lose the mane
default_sad.png
But I know it was better to geld him. I want to drive and not too breed.

Teddys shoulder is still not yet cured. When he walks, it's all ok, but he don't likes to trott and when he's trotting, there is still a lameness. But the good news is that he romped around the paddock. So it can't be that bad. I will give him any weeks to cure anyways.

There was an onset of winter last week. We had snow and so I took the little sleigh on saturday and hitched Massai and Domino (who is my retired shetland gelding at the age of 31). We all three enjoyed the sleigh drive. Massai proudly wore the sled bells! The sound was sooooo awesome, I love them! :D

I've tried to film (not as simple as that), look at the video:

You have lots of news, northwolf. Glad Moony is home. I don't see why gelding would have any effect on his mane. Our vets do not want newly gelded horses to be stalled; they want them out moving around. Interesting that it is different in different places.

Sorry to hear about Teddy. Do you have access to a chiropractor? I wonder if that would help him?

Your snowy team looks good! What fun! And the bells sound awesome.

Thanks Marsha
default_smile.png

The gelding operation was not "open" like it's usuable for younger stallions. They called it "coated operation" (don't know the english definition). They sutured the wounds and told me, the different to normal operations (where moving around afterwards is important), is that he shouldn't move around for this two weeks. Otherwise the wound could be ripped or other complications can occur. Maybe, Buckly had no suturation on the wounds?

Yes, I'll call the chiro if it's not cured in a few weeks. The vet told me it can be a longer story if it's - as she suspected - a strain trauma. It can take up to 3 months. I was very hopeful it's not a strain as it was much better after the first two weeks... But I'm afraid it's really a strain.

No, I don't think Buckly had sutures, but I am not sure. They wanted the area to drain. He had a little drainage, but not bad. I did not let him out in the pasture for a few days, but he was in a large lot so he could move around. I will ask my vet about the "coated operation."

Dapper Dan was favoring a front leg one time and I took him for xrays. Discovered he had a bone spur and arthritis. After being on medication, he was having a hard time getting in and out of the trailer and stiff in harness. After the chiro treatment, he hopped into and out of the trailer like a colt. The pain of the arthritis was gone, but he was using his body as if it were still painful. Can't explain it very well, but I became a believer in chiro after that. He is on monthly Adequan injections and joint supplements and doing great. I do the chrio for him at least once a year. Last time he was fine and the chiro did not even charge me. He has injured his stifle a couple of times and it takes quite a while to get over that. Stall rest for 6 weeks. Boy, does that annoy him!

Domino looks great! I never would guess his age!

I have had Peanut and Cappy out several times for short lessons. It is still too soon to!take the cart out of storage, snow is expected Wednesday.

Cappy's new bridle arrived and we fit it to him yesterday. The bit I ordered is a little big, but he seemed quiet with his mouth. The 3.75 inch bit was pretty snug, this one has a lot of play. I was afraid the 3.75 might pinch so I sized up just to see what would happen. I will let him decide which he like better. I do think the vet putting in the "bit seat" when she floated him last month was beneficial.

I did get ahold of the instructor and she will be able to give me some more lesson, so that is something to look forward to. She liked Cappy, so I hope we can start with him when Spring arrives and the mud dries up.

I found a home for the infamous "spotted harness". I gave up trying to sell it, there was absolutely no interest in it which surprised me as it was a nice harness. So I donated it to a rescue here that runs a small used tack shop to help support itself. They were happy to get it and I was happy to see it go. I also donated my old show saddle and that was not as easy to let go. It was a bittersweet day.
I'm glad you were able to pass on the spotted harness. I'm also surprised that there wasn't any interest in it. Around here you can't give away driving tack but that's because there just isn't much interest in driving compared to other parts of the country. I'm sorry about having to let your saddle go. I know it was about letting go more than just a saddle.

Thanks for the good wishes for Teddy
default_smile.png
It seems he recovers quickly. I took him to a very short walk the first time yesterday and he was very happy to walk again. His moves were way less shaky than last week! Not completely cured yet, the lameness is still there, but much better.

I registered Moony in a horse clinic to be gelded next week... His behaviour on sunday when we met some horses on road was very, very bad... They had a mare who was in heat, so Moony was almost out of control. That was the point I decided to geld him, he's no longer substainable as a stallion. The gelding operation will be on wednesday. After that, I hope to start driving with him without restrictions.
I'm glad Teddy seems to be healing. Even slow progress is good progress. I'm also happy to hear that Moony did well with his gelding. As for his mane. My Major was gelded at 11 years old. He did swell more than a young horse but other than that he was fine. Anyway.... he had the longest, thickest mane I'd ever seen on a horse. Now, 7 years after being gelded, it's still just as long and thick as ever. I think there is a good chance Moony will keep his long mane.

Cayuse, I use loose ring snaffles because my horses like them more than the half cheeks. It's a kind of french link bits, but with rounded center piece. Never had problem with these bits, I would recommend loose ring snaffles for driving if the horses accept it better than driving bits
default_smile.png
I've found that loose ring bits can pinch when driven in pairs. I always used a fixed ring bit for pairs driving. But singles I have used a lose ring. I agree, the half cheek just gets caught on everything!

I do think the vet putting in the "bit seat" when she floated him last month was beneficial.

I did get ahold of the instructor and she will be able to give me some more lesson, so that is something to look forward to. She liked Cappy, so I hope we can start with him when Spring arrives and the mud dries up.
I'm glad to hear that the bit seat seems to be working for you guys. I was wondering about that.

Lessons are always fun and so beneficial. It's great when you have someone who knows their stuff that can watch you and your horse and help correct and adjust. I'm always asking my husband "How is she moving?" Or "How do my hands look?" and he just always says "Good". Such a good husband. Not all that helpful in this situation but he knows how to keep himself out of trouble
default_smile.png

I am thinking of getting hold of the instructor that Clementine and I worked with to see if she'd like to do a few "touch up" lessons with us. Maybe she will have some insight into our attitude problem. If she feels it's attitude for the sake of attitude or discomfort.

I am recovering from the worst cold/flu I can ever remember having. It hit me the last day of my Vacation (so glad it waited) and has had me bedridden. So sorry it took me so long to catch up on everyone's driving hours and goings on. Still trying to figure out Clementine.... Other than that it's life as usual in Utah.

@MC: I hope you get well soon!
default_smile.png

I'm glad Teddy seems to be healing. Even slow progress is good progress. I'm also happy to hear that Moony did well with his gelding. As for his mane. My Major was gelded at 11 years old. He did swell more than a young horse but other than that he was fine. Anyway.... he had the longest, thickest mane I'd ever seen on a horse. Now, 7 years after being gelded, it's still just as long and thick as ever. I think there is a good chance Moony will keep his long mane.

I've found that loose ring bits can pinch when driven in pairs. I always used a fixed ring bit for pairs driving. But singles I have used a lose ring. I agree, the half cheek just gets caught on everything!
Oh, good to know Major didn't lose his mane. I knew stallions who had great, long and thick manes and after beeing gelded, it was only a poor mane left
default_sad.png
Maybe, there were other reasons for this. I hope Moony will keep his long hair. But if not, it's not the end of the world
default_smile.png

That's a good point with the bit, you're right. Loose ring bits can pinch. For "green" horses in a team who romp around, I normally use the post curb. Domino, as an example, I always drive with curb or half cheek (and always the team mate too), because he can be restive. For Moony, I used the loose ring because that's the only bit he knows well. Maybe, I'll get him used to the curb bit for next time.

@Cayuse: Thanks, I think Domino looks horrible at the moment
default_smile.png
He's rubbing all the time (I asked the vet to have a look on him, but she didn't found any parasites, she thinks the reason is it's too warm for him) and his fur has holes.

Glad to hear about Cappys new bit fits well and you can start with the lessons in spring!

@Marsha: I've heard so many good example of horses who got cured by the chiro or other manual and alternative therapies. I do believe in this methods too
default_smile.png
I asked the hoof trimmer this week, who is bioenergetic therapist. She thinks doing chiro may be dangerous because the injury is still acute (better wait for some weeks). But she offered leech therapy, so she'll treat him in the next weeks.

Moony is very annoyed about the stall rest too
default_sad.png
When I took him out for short walks, he's scratching with the front legs and dither around while being groomed. But it looks good and I think I'll release him from the stall rest on the weekend!

Latest posts

Back