Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridget was a retired brood mare that was given to me a few years ago. She took to driving after just a couple of ground drives and acted like she had driven her whole life. Such a sweet nature! I only had her a little over a year. She always had some trouble with her eyes, but it escalated. I chose to put her down rather than have the eye removed, as the other eye was troublesome also. She came to me with that condition. She was 21. Took me a long time to get over that.

bridgetmag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, seems february is not a good month for us
default_sad.png
I'm glad you could hold Buckly and he's not ran away and had an accident. I hope he will recover from this frightening event and not adapt his fear with the cart and/or the harness. I did a fault too with Moony and have to go some steps back with him to not ruin him, I think I'll not hitch him again until we eliminate the fear. By the way: I weared gloves when I lost Moony, but he was too strong and I burnt my hand too a little bit...

Sorry for your loss with Bridget
default_sad.png

Oh no, seems february is not a good month for us
default_sad.png
I'm glad you could hold Buckly and he's not ran away and had an accident. I hope he will recover from this frightening event and not adapt his fear with the cart and/or the harness. I did a fault too with Moony and have to go some steps back with him to not ruin him, I think I'll not hitch him again until we eliminate the fear. By the way: I weared gloves when I lost Moony, but he was too strong and I burnt my hand too a little bit...

Sorry for your loss with Bridget
default_sad.png
These little guys are so strong, especially when they get startled. On the way home that day I tried to lead him home hitched, but I had to unhook. I could tell he was escalating and that I would not be able to hold him. Luckily, he stood pretty quietly while I undid the quick hitch.

I think what Buckly does not like is something following him. He doesn't really mind the shafts against his sides. One good thing that I noticed with our little episode was that he did not kick the sulky. He bucked and tried to run, but did not kick.

Next time I try hitching the sulky, I will have two helpers. My sister and I will cross tie him to lead and my neighbor will lead Dapper Dan. Maybe Buckly will be calmer if his pasture mate is along. I will try a little longer before contacting the trainer.

I am sorry about Bridget. I went through a similar thing with my POA. She had chronic eye issues. It started with a small scratch on her cornea that ended up needing surgery (misdiagnosed and treated as bacterial infection when it was actually fungal) and after that it was just one eye issue after another in both eyes. We made the decision that we would treat her but draw the line at surgery, if it was ever needed again, as it took too much out of her (general anesthesia). We never had to make that call as we lost her to colic.

You did the right thing for Bridget.

Marsha - I'm wondering if you use a bucking strap with Buckly and if you drive him with or without blinders.

I'm sure you didn't ruin him because you kept a hold of him. The horses that won't drive again after an accident are the ones that get away and manage to get rid of the carriage.

I'm guessing you don't have an inclosed space to drive? You may want to ask around to see if anyone closer than the trainer has a ring you could drive in once in a while.

Hope you're feeling ok!

It's a good idea to take DD with you. Buckly will be calmer, I think. Glad you have two helpers. Sometimes it is better if you have not experienced people with you, because they may be less nervous because they don't know about the risks of driving a horse ;) (this is my experience - my husband helped me a LOT when I had trouble to break Massai to drive... He didn't likes the shafts and bucked when they touched him... hu, this is long time ago,and it took months to correct this - now he's the best driving horse I've ever had!!!)

Teddy has a training break. I had the vet today because he foundered since monday. The vet thinks he has a musculary injury in his right shoulder. Teddy is now on Equipalazone and will have a break for a week. Next week, I can start with walks if he's better. Hope it's not too bad, but I'm confident.

I'll spend more time to work with Moony while Teddy recover
default_smile.png

I hope Teddy recovers fully and quickly for you.

And update on Clementine, she went to the vet today. He didn't think it was ovarian cysts... But he was stumped as to what it could be. I explained that my biggest concerns were her obvious discomfort and her sudden aggression. Which I'm sure the aggression has to do with the discomfort. He said the pain seems to be in her intestines so he did a fecal and float. Said there was some sand in her manure so he wanted us to up the dose of Sand Clear she is on. I keep all my minis on Sand Clear already. However, in the winter they eat off the snow so the sand has a chance to fully leave their system. Now they are down south they are on sand year round.

Basically she's fine as far as he can tell. But that doesn't help me figure out why my normally kind and gentle mare is acting like a total turd. Could it just be that she hates it down there? I'm tempted to haul her and her buddy Major back up here and see if she returns to her normal self. The only down side to that is the spring is hard up here. Freezing rain and wind and she doesn't have much shelter up here. I would have thought that she would have settled in. She's been down their for 4 months now.

Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated. It breaks my heart that I can't trust her anymore. I have to keep the kids away from her because there is a chance she will bite them like she did me. And with their little faces closer to her height that worries me. I'm kinda lost....

I hope Teddy recovers fully and quickly for you.

And update on Clementine, she went to the vet today. He didn't think it was ovarian cysts... But he was stumped as to what it could be. I explained that my biggest concerns were her obvious discomfort and her sudden aggression. Which I'm sure the aggression has to do with the discomfort. He said the pain seems to be in her intestines so he did a fecal and float. Said there was some sand in her manure so he wanted us to up the dose of Sand Clear she is on. I keep all my minis on Sand Clear already. However, in the winter they eat off the snow so the sand has a chance to fully leave their system. Now they are down south they are on sand year round.

Basically she's fine as far as he can tell. But that doesn't help me figure out why my normally kind and gentle mare is acting like a total turd. Could it just be that she hates it down there? I'm tempted to haul her and her buddy Major back up here and see if she returns to her normal self. The only down side to that is the spring is hard up here. Freezing rain and wind and she doesn't have much shelter up here. I would have thought that she would have settled in. She's been down their for 4 months now.

Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated. It breaks my heart that I can't trust her anymore. I have to keep the kids away from her because there is a chance she will bite them like she did me. And with their little faces closer to her height that worries me. I'm kinda lost....
I got a stallion from a bad situation one time. He was a kicker. My neighbor noticed that his hind feet didn't set flat when he walked. He had a congenital ligament problem. I took him to OSU veterinary school for xrays. I had put him on Banamine for a few days and I could tell his attitude was better. When I told the Vet that, he affirmed that pain contributed as a cause of his aggression. How did your vet determine she has no cyst or other reproductive problem?

His opinion was that the pain wasn't in the correct area. He also ruled her out due to age. She's 8. I don't think he sees a lot of small equine. He's not our regular vet since this is her first winter south. He said if she doesn't improve with the sand clear (which I doubt she will since I give it to them once a week anyway) that he'll run a blood and maybe hormone panel.

I was kind of frustrated at his lack of answers but I have to remind myself to be patient.

Well that IS frustrating! Poor Clem.

Marsha has a good idea with a banamine trial for a couple of days to see if the attitude improves. Then you'd be sure if it was pain related.

If your gut feeling is to bring her home, maybe that is the thing to do. Could you rig up a temporary shelter?

Maybe she is just stressed at the new place for whatever reason and "home" might set her straight.

I just reread your post and see he thinks it is intestinal. Has her feed changed since the move? Have you tried pulling her off everything but hay and seeing how she tolerates that for a week or so then add things back one at a time, seeing how her attitude is with each addition?

Peanut gets moody and ugly when he is on anything with soy in it. It took forever to figure it out. Maybe she has a food sensitivity?

I'm just throwing things out there in hopes something might fit. You will find the peice to Clem's puzzle, it just might take some time.

i just lost my whole message. long story short i agree with Cayuse about bringing the two home only ii would put them in their regular schedule.when they get there. good luck i feel really bad, but i will say a prayer that she gets better.

Hi there Jeannie! How are you doing? Have you settled in with your son? I was wondering the other day about your minis, are they with you or are you having to board them?

Took Peanut out for a few short minutes today. It was too muddy to do much so we worked on walk/halt/stand transitions. Halt followed by Standing is not his favorite thing to do, so I took advantage of his natural hesitancy to not go much faster than a plod through the muck and mire. I outsmarted him for once.

Has anyone been able to do much with their horses at all? Anything besides driving?

Cappy learned to stand on a small step stool. He pretty much taught himself. He was on the crossties while I was cleaning his stall and he was impatient so he pawed my step stool over to the front of himself and put one foot up on it. I happened to have a treat in my pocket so I reached over and gave it to him (probably a bad thing to do, reinforcing that impatient streak...) and the next thing I know he has both feet up on the stool. So I gave him another treat :). Now he flips his feed pan over in his stall and stands up on it whenever we are around. He always looks quite proud of his accomplishment.

I wonder if someone taught him this before.

I would only allow him to stand on the pedestal at your command. I've seen horses where this can be a bad habit. But you are right, they look so proud of themselves. Both of mine love it when I get out the little purple stool.

I've been walking with my horses but not driving. Checking for ticks every day. Around the area the chickens have cleaned them up, but I'm letting the horses go out into the "wild" area lately and they have picked up a couple.

Working on Stand with Buckly.

Having an arthritic attack so I'm not in the mood for ground driving. Hope to do it this weekend, though. The days are getting longer; that will help.

I didn't even think about the camera, Jeannie!

Marsha, I do think it could become quite a habit. Thanks for reminding me to keep it within limits. I should not have treated him for it, but dang, he was trying SO HARD!

I hope your arthritis flare up passes quickly. It sure can take the shine off of a day .

Latest posts

Back