Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a good boy! How are you feeling??
I am feeling really good! Thank you for asking. The odd thing is I am a little down in the dumps but I think I'll snap out of it. The horses make me happy.

Cappy was so good the other day when he trotted. We did not go far, but enough to feel that he is much different than Peanut. He has a much longer stride where Peanut is more "up and down" in his action. Two completely different types of mini. Like your Rowdy, he needs to work on the straightness.

I cleaned my harness today and found a spot that needs repair, the stitching is loose in a spot where the shaft carrier is stitched to the saddle. So I have to find someone to do that. Or maybe hubby can do it with an awl. He's pretty handy.

Happy to hear the Ram left. Hope he found greener pastures and is gone for good!

I am feeling really good! Thank you for asking. The odd thing is I am a little down in the dumps but I think I'll snap out of it. The horses make me happy.

Cappy was so good the other day when he trotted. We did not go far, but enough to feel that he is much different than Peanut. He has a much longer stride where Peanut is more "up and down" in his action. Two completely different types of mini. Like your Rowdy, he needs to work on the straightness.

I cleaned my harness today and found a spot that needs repair, the stitching is loose in a spot where the shaft carrier is stitched to the saddle. So I have to find someone to do that. Or maybe hubby can do it with an awl. He's pretty handy.

Happy to hear the Ram left. Hope he found greener pastures and is gone for good!
Being down in the dumps could be left over from the anesthetic. It frequently affects people that way. Or, just the realization of being mortal...

My first chance to ground drive Rowdy. He was totally a basket case at first. I can hardly believe we are going backwards. No cows were out but a covey of quail burst out at the first and he tried to bolt. He wouldn't back; kept twirling around. shheeesh. But two more coveys burst out later and he didn't bat an ear. He was circling better about half way, keeping nice and straight, and backing up a few steps nicely.We went past the dog place and they all came out barking and he didn't care. Our route was 2 miles. After I put him up I got Dapper Dan to groom and he had crusted blood on his ear; he had torn a V notch in the tip of his ear somehow. How do they do it?? I thought of calling the vet for stitches, but decided that was just going to be one of his manly scars.

I will ground drive one more time, reversing the route, then plan to spend one whole driving session doing nothing but circles with the cart.

Then I went out later and somehow two hens had been trapped in my little barn. You know what chickens do when they are confined in a building for several hours...

I've been using an open bridle with a side check. I decided to put the blinders and overcheck back on before we go out again and see if that makes a difference pro or con. I got a little discouraged today.

The good news is, Rowdy is picking up his bowing trick pretty well now.

It must be the phase of the moon Marsha. I had a super drive with Cappy yesterday and today was a comedy of errors.

First he bolted. I knew he would try it at some point as he has done it ground driving and it's been very cool and crisp, that kind of weather that makes them feisty. He came right back down to a halt and then we regrouped and trotted of smartly. Then he starts bobbing like he is lame. So I get out check his feet and harness and find that I somehow trapped the trace in the holdback on the side he is bobbing. After I fixed it, he was much improved but still a little funky moving. I hope it is just because he could not move his shoulder properly with the trace pulling back. Or that he is just stiff from mt asking a little more of him. He ran around his paddock afterwards and looked fine. But I worry.

I got a little discouraged too, but it is good to come here and commiserate with people who understand.

Rowdy will be ok. I bet the blinders will help him focus. Sometimes a step backwards is followed by a huge step forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished our second 2 mile ground drive, reversing the route. Overcheck and blinders. Rowdy did very well. Some good, straight turns and controlled backing. Both areas of cows were empty as they had all been moved to other pastures. We did get the usual dogs and coveys of quail.

Husband shredded a large area in the pasture very short and filled some low spots with dirt to try and make me a smooth place to practice my circles. Hopefully will begin those tomorrow.

I don't really like the overcheck, but, like most tools, there is a time and place for it. I'm going to keep it on for a while and see if it helps us work through this.

I don't really like the overcheck, but, like most tools, there is a time and place for it. I'm going to keep it on for a while and see if it helps us work through this.
Clementine was trained with an overcheck and I've tried driving her without it. She dives for anything she can eat without it. I do have it as loose as it will go so it's not jerking the bit with normal head movement. It just keeps her from dropping her head down to the ground to snack.

The friend who is helping me with training recommends the overcheck because she says it helps the horse keep his body straighter. Bit-to-crupper stay more lined up and the horse learns where his movement parameters are and what his body feels like when it is straight.

Rowdy has never learned to be a snatcher so it is not a problem for him.

But Dapper Dan!!! He's embarrassing. I put the overcheck on him after he had practically never worn one because he suddenly became the worst snatcher on the planet. Now he can discipline himself instead of me yanking and smacking.

Pros and cons in both camps. I just try things and see what works with each horse.

Both of mine are confirmed "snatchers" and it's a lost cause without the overcheck. Cappy is the worse (worst?)

with his snout always hoovering for grass.

I ground drove him today, he seems sound and was actually pretty flexible so hopefully yesterday was just a bump in the road. I have to start working with Peanut again, he is getting ignored while I try to get as much time in with Cap before the winter.

Can I ask everyone how they hold there lines? I went back to the old way I was doing it before I took lessons this summer and they just seem happier that way. I hold the lines so they cross my palm with my thumb on top and I seem to have more feeling for their mouth that way. When I took lessons she had me hold them like I was riding with the rein coming from under, up over the top. Like using a snaffle if you were riding. It seems really awkward. It shouldn't because I used to ride, but it feels like I take too much hold that way. It feels heavy.

MajorClem did you get a drive in this weekend?

Did circles in the pasture today. He was stiff at first, got better, then went into his tantrum mode. We worked through that and finished on some decent circles. Definitely going to be doing this more before going back onto the road. Did get a mesquite thorn in my cart tire; pulled it out and green slime and air. Hopefully the slime will heal the puncture. Otherwise I'll need a new tube before we go again. A hazard of driving in a pasture. He definitely worked up a sweat today. He wouldn't have have to work so hard, however, if he had just done what I asked instead of trying to get his own way. He does have tantrums, but there isn't a mean bone in his body. So we can work through this.

Here is the pasture where I'm doing circles. It is just a fenced off area that we call The Little Pasture. I think it is just the right size for our circles. The trees are mesquites.

My reins come up from the bottom of my hand between the little and ring fingers, then up and out between thumb and index fingers. This seems to give me good control. I can slide the reins and also it is easy to give my "wiggle" cues with the middle,ring, and little fingers.

little pasture.jpg

Beautiful place! The mountain in the distance is lovely. I wish I had room like that, where I live used to be all farmland but now it has built up and it is fancy houses all around. At least the lots have to be two acres. I miss my old town though.

Rowdy sounds like he is having the equine equivilant of the "terrible twos" with his tantrums. He's testing authority.

Can I ask everyone how they hold there lines? I went back to the old way I was doing it before I took lessons this summer and they just seem happier that way. I hold the lines so they cross my palm with my thumb on top and I seem to have more feeling for their mouth that way. When I took lessons she had me hold them like I was riding with the rein coming from under, up over the top. Like using a snaffle if you were riding. It seems really awkward. It shouldn't because I used to ride, but it feels like I take too much hold that way. It feels heavy.

MajorClem did you get a drive in this weekend?
I usually hold the lines under coming up my palm with thumbs on top. I use my pinkie fingers to manipulate the lines to signal turns, stop, etc. However, with arthritis in my thumb joints I switch it up on long drives and do lines over the top with my thumb pointing more forward.

Well, we did a few circles today and I thought "maybe we've done enough circles; I will try him out on the road". We got about 1/2 mile and he started to get squirrely, so we headed back home and back into the pasture for circles. My husband watched us for a while. He said "I notice he turns his head but keeps going straight". He wondered if we were doing that on purpose! So, we will stick with circles a while longer. He has a straight turn once in a while, but it's not consistent. I am wondering if he has not figured out how to move his back legs yet? He is sidepassing pretty well and pivoting well in halter. I cannot tell he is going different with the overcheck as opposed to the side check.

The good news is, he is standing really nicely now for harnessing. I leave him standing untied while fetching cart, harness, messing around. So we are moving forward. He may be one of those horses that take a while to "get" something, but then they have it solid. We'll see...

Marsha, Is he having a hard time with the shafts maybe? Not wanting to turn because they are touching him when he does turn or something like that? When you said "he turns his head but his body goes straight" I thought maybe he felt as though he could not turn his body for some reason. It's just a thought I had while I'm sitting here battling insomnia!

My holdbacks for the harness arrived and I put the harness out on consignment to sell so that chapter is thankfully closed!

I was advised last week by the doctor that I can't drive the minis for a year because of the meds (bloodthinner) I am on. Evidently it's considered a high risk activity according to the doctor. I was not going to post anything about it but decided since I enjoyed this thread so much I just did not want to "disappear" without explanation.

Hope everyone has some good drives before winter comes!

My holdbacks for the harness arrived and I put the harness out on consignment to sell so that chapter is thankfully closed!

I was advised last week by the doctor that I can't drive the minis for a year because of the meds (bloodthinner) I am on. Evidently it's considered a high risk activity according to the doctor. I was not going to post anything about it but decided since I enjoyed this thread so much I just did not want to "disappear" without explanation.

Hope everyone has some good drives before winter comes!
Oh dear! What does the dr consider to be the most dangerous part of driving? Are you likely to feel light headed? Is he concerned about a possible wreck since your surgery? Does he consider the harnessing part too strenuous?

I will miss your opinions and input.

Took Rowdy out this morning. He is standing reliably for harnessing now. We also did our side passing and a couple of other ground maneuvers first. Then we did our circles for a while. Then I took him out on the road. We practiced going from side to side at walk and trot. Transitions. Backing. Though his resistance to rein pressure is still there, I feel he is improving and getting straighter. I do not think it is the shafts, as he would prefer pivoting to doing a wide, controlled turn. I think he has not figured out how to get his hind end under himself yet--when I cue the hind leg in a turn it is obvious. In a pivot he just crosses over the front feet and that drags his hind around, instead of his front steering and his hind propelling. We will keep working with wide circles and avoiding pivots for a while. I think the side passing is helping him to understand his hind is connected to his fore, which -- hopefully-- is connected to the brain.

Marsha, the cardiologist was afraid that if I get in a wreck of tossed from the cart and hit my head I could have a brain bleed because of the anti-cogagulant therapy I have to be on for a year. I told him I always wear a helmet but that did not impress him. I have been having some spectacular bruises, so I do see his point. And it's just for one year. It's too bad though because I feel great. I can always do in hand work, I might focus on teaching Peanut to jump so I can take him in those classes next year. He loves to jump. And my husband might drive him a little and see how that goes.

It sounds like Rowdy is making some steps in the right direction, slow and steady wins the race!

When I was teaching my pony showmanship pivots, he would do super with the front end but not even lift his hind feet, he would get them all twisted up. Finally one day it just clicked, but it took a long time.

Marsha, I love the thoroughness of your drive days, always pleasant to read and see how you approach them with your trusty 'lil steeds.

Cayuse, I'm so sorry to hear the remarks from your doctor. It's hard not to want to do something when you're feeling your best, but your attitude is commendable. You're better than me when driving. It never occurred to me to wear a helmet when driving. I grew up wearing helmets (and still do) riding horses... but it didn't transition when I was learning to drive and I'm not entirely sure why. My intentions are to resume driving with a helmet though.

I hooked Magic up earlier this week to see how his mind was with a bit in his mouth when in the cart. Had my Mom walk alongside with a lead in hand to control him if he decided he was going to go bonkers. Which he didn't and I was very proud of him. I was convinced he was an Amish pony at some point, but with the very "mouthy" reaction to the bit, I can't say that with confidence anymore. Which is fine with me!
default_smile.png

He did well, but we'll be going back to ground driving now that I seemed to have found the extent of his knowledge with driving. He throws his head back when he gets confused and tries to turn in the shafts, but doesn't overreact. He does his best to look back at me with the face of "What the heck, lady?" So we'll go back to false shafts and ground driving and hopefully supple up his mouth, which is fairly hard at the present time. However, even when leading him he's strong so either he's just purely inexperienced or someone hauled the crap out of his face. He must have been driven at some point or just has a general easy going demeanor. The blinders didn't phase him nor did asking him to walk out when he couldn't see my Mom to walk alongside him. When he did catch glimpses of her he did try and follow ;)

His mane is growing out quite quickly and he's becoming a shiny boy! So finding his knowledge peak in driving was a pleasant experience and ended on a lovely note. He's so full of spirit it's a wonderful sight. At least until he starts being rebellious, right?
default_smile.png

14671192_10156183651587228_27903748142909230_n.jpg

I think some horses just don't have a soft mouth. Either they cannot process the pressure command or they just want to do their own thing, I don't know. Magic is indeed getting shiny! And it's fun to find out what they know. He sounds like such a good boy!

Latest posts

Back