History

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I SOOO agree!
default_thumbup.gif
I am VERY pleased with the decision that was made today. History has been made, for sure!! No more "same sex marriages"...everyone is just married or not!!
default_yes.gif

How does it work if they divorce? Will there be a separate law made or does the one on the books apply? I don't really care what they do, but when they add children into the equation, then the attitudes of the children at school and their neighborhood bothers me. You can't legislate other people's opinions and there are just too many kids being bullied as it is without adding something that these children won't have any control over. Just my opinion.

What will happen if church's refuse to marry based on religious beliefs? Will they be sued?

This also brings up other questions, what about polygamy or polyandry? Or say even relative marriage? If they are consenting adults why shouldn't they be able to marry as well?

I still believe this should be a state matter along with the flying of the confederate flag in southern state buildings. Federal government has far too much control over the states rights.

Sonya, I agree with you. It's nice that everyone wants equal rights, but where is the line drawn? This really is one area where the states should have control.

Yes they should, they should be voted on by the people. Anymore it doesn't matter what you, I or any other citizen of this country think on matters. Apparently only opinions that matter are those of 5 lawyers, appointed lawyers, not even elected by the people. That is not how it's suppose to work.

Ashley, I no longer post on Lil Beginnings, but I'll make an exception for this thread. I am proud that our supreme court recognizes the right of individuals to marry the person they love. Today I am proud of our country (well...for the most part).

BTW, churches have and will continue to have the right to say who can be married IN THEIR CHURCH, just not who can be married. After all, Keith and I could not have been married in a Catholic church, or likely in any church (we are not christians). This will not change, despite the doomsday prophets.

We will see about the rights of the church. The point of the whole matter is the SCOTUS has over stepped it's boundaries and the states rights...this is likely to open up a list of other issues that will be taken to them and because of what they've done, people who think it's ok now are most likely not going to agree on how they will have to rule on other matters.

Look up the research. There is more info on the positives to same sex parenting, and it even edges a bit over man/women parenting. I don't think the right to marry should be anybody's decision, it should have never been an issue. I also don't see an issue to multi wives/husbands if that is what they want. If relatives want to marry, go for it, however I would have to argue on them having kids as that comes with to many risks to the children.

How does it work if they divorce? Will there be a separate law made or does the one on the books apply? I don't really care what they do, but when they add children into the equation, then the attitudes of the children at school and their neighborhood bothers me. You can't legislate other people's opinions and there are just too many kids being bullied as it is without adding something that these children won't have any control over. Just my opinion.

Why would there need to be separate laws? Using children as an excuse doesn't work. Look at the research.

2 little people having children comes with health issues and risks...2 functioning Down syndrome people having children have risks...it really shouldn't be an issue, right? I'd much rather keep folks from procreating based on their aptitude for responsibility but we can't do that can we? That is really beside the point though.

Plain and simple, regardless if one support marriage equality, doesn't matter, the SCOTUS overstepped their boundaries. People may have think we've made leaps and bounds but we've actually set ourselves back. By their revision they've basically made my concealed weapons permit legal in ALL states....as well as many other things that will soon come to surface, most not good for the American people. The Constitution has been pooped on a lot lately but this has basically thrown it out the window...and whether you agree or disagree with their decision, every American citizen should be concerned about that.

And while we were all being distracted with marriage equality and confederate flags....a very sketchy trade agreement has been passed and terrorist activity that is no where to be found on most media.

Ive been back and fourth a million times to this thread over the last few days , wondering whether I should post or not.

I know I am not an American citizen , but I am gay and I am very proud of it. To me its never been about wanting to get Married, its about the chance and the right to be treated equally. To be honest I don't think I would ever get married , a piece of paper isn't going to change the love I have for my partner after 12 Years. But why shouldn't I have the chance to get married If I wanted too ?

In regards to the comments about bringing children into the equation , that would have to be the biggest load of rubbish ive heard ........................ I have some great friends that are raising children. They are now in school and are treated just like children that have straight parents. Bullying from children usually stems from what they hear at home , whether its a derogatory remark from a parent at gay person or a coloured person on tv , you can guarantee that's where it starts from.

One thing I remember my dad saying to me when I was little was " I just want you to grow up to be a nice person" "I don't care who you are , I just want you to be a nice person"

I am fairly sure I have achieved that
default_smile.png

Australia ( The only English speaking nation that does not approve of this )
default_thumbdown.gif

And for me, it's not all just about the right to marry...it is about the right to give significant others in a same sex relationship, the same rights as any "straight" couple. So many rights are lost because the other is of the same sex.

There's people I like and people I don't like. For example, one of our neighbors is a butthead. I don't like him/them. But, a young guy that used to work for me married a person of his same sex; if we met again now, I'd give him a big hug 'cause I love him. And one of the women I most respect married a woman; my husband and I (husband is an intolerant guy) attended their wedding. We had a great time and wish them the best.

What I hate most is that I don't know the polite terminology to use. I know I'm a little old and creaky, but it annoys me that I do not know how I should address people. ...for two women is it ma'am, when you forget their name, or? Somebody ought to write a guide.

Only speaking for myself here AngC, but I would want to be addressed as you would normally address me, or just by my name Ryan.

I always try and address people by there name , I find that when I address people by Sir or Maam , they usually cringe and joke at the same time saying "Im too old to be called sir or maam"

Now I have a few "gay " friends that are couples that I address both as "Ladies" as they are very feminine. They know that I mean nothing nasty about it and Im sure they are not offended in any way at all.

I totally agree with your first paragraph Ang C, Doesn't really matter at the end of the day who a person is , as long as they are a nice person is all that matters to me.

I also love what you have written , its put a big smile on my face on this very chilly Monday morning
default_smile.png

glad this passed.I have a brother who is gay and he is the best brother/friend anyone could ask for.He has as many straight friends as gay and everyone loves him.I have seen situations in the past where a partner was very ill and person was not permitted to visit him/her in certain hospital situations. No more of that.Glad we are making progress.

While I'm not 100% sure how I feel about gay marriage, I have felt for some time that something had to change, especially for instances such as you mentioned when one of a couple was hospitalized and couldn't visit because of arcane laws. Sometimes their significant other is the only person in their life or close (physically, as in geographic location), it would suck to be alone in the hospital with no option. [Hope you understand what I mean, as I often can't express myself.]

I have seen situations in the past where a partner was very ill and person was not permitted to visit him/her in certain hospital situations. No more of that.Glad we are making progress.

Only speaking for myself here AngC, but I would want to be addressed as you would normally address me, or just by my name Ryan.

I always try and address people by there name , I find that when I address people by Sir or Maam , they usually cringe and joke at the same time saying "Im too old to be called sir or maam"

Now I have a few "gay " friends that are couples that I address both as "Ladies" as they are very feminine. They know that I mean nothing nasty about it and Im sure they are not offended in any way at all.Another
I'm half senile; some days I forget my own name. I learned to address people as "sir" or "ma'am" in the military. To me, that is a term of respect (especially when I forget someone's name.)

I wonder if a lot of people couldn't be "won" over based on simple things. ...which is why I mentioned my discomfort with forms of address. I'm conservative, but not one of those whack-jobs (I don't think, anyway) And not knowing how to "talk" to people and be polite makes me uncomfortable.

Back