Bow's 2015 Foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_new_rofl.gif
I'll pray for your filly streak to be over.

Just a thought - maybe I should post it on it's own thread. Was this mare bred in the morning or in the afternoon/eve? It's probably another wives' tale, but I found that most of our mares, when bred in the morning, had fillies. When bred in the afternoon, they had colts. It wasn't foolproof by any means, but more times than not, it worked.
Actually funnily enough, she was covered in the afternoon. Lol

I really ought to do a nail test on her sometime, her 2011 nail test was right (filly)

Just found old threads from her 2010 pregnancy (colt) and she went 349 days, according to one pasture breeding due date. Her 2011 thread on another forum has her due date for May 8th, 2011 and she foaled on April 30th, 2011. However, I apparently didn't type out her breedings, i'm sure its on my old calenders at home, so I'll look to see how many days she actually went in.

However, I guess on another forum I wrote that on 03/25/2011 she was 298 days in foal, so that would put her breeding down as May 31st, 2010 and her due date May 15th in correspondance to a 349 day pregnancy. So...in hindsight she undercooked her filly and foaled at 330 days.

So for a colt we're looking at a due date of July 4th (shoot me) and for a filly, June 19th.

I don't know which I would rather have. Shorter pregnancy or a colt.

Sex of foal doesn't always affect length of pregnancy. My 2012 colts, all 3 colts... 320 days for the first foal born, 307 for the second and 324 for the last foal born. All three were maiden mares, so no foaling history. Going to try for a couple for next year, so we'll see if they have a pattern or not. And, 2009 filly was born at 320 days, also mare's maiden pregnancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here she is this morning. I haven't felt the foal kick in a week or so, and I usually try around feeding time. I don't know if I should be worried or not. I know things get a little tight in there and I won't feel too many kicks but I guess I'm more used to seeing big, bold kicks through the sides at this point. I would like to let her out in the pasture to graze and exercise but I don't know if our pasture has fescue or not. I'll try to get some pictures of our grass to see if anybody can tell if its fescue or not. She was let out a few days already.

Also, still no milk/fluid production. Her bag has grown quite a bit in the past few weeks, like I predicted but I honestly don't see her keeping this foal in much longer (I can't see her keeping it in for another month) especially if her milk starts kicking in. I just feel like we've had a lot of bag production in such a short amount of time for her to wait until the end of June.

Day 302.

11277933_868380643248479_1727304857_o.jpg

11303974_868381049915105_1505220089_o.jpg

11291995_868371083249435_764444132_n.jpg

She hasn't dropped or anything yet. Here she was today:

11165827_868380979915112_1206522099_n.jpg

She bags up quick and stabilizes. Her milk came in around 320 days and went from yellow, to clear, to white in ten days and she waxed for about four days. PH tests gave us about 16 hours notice with that foal.

I'm just waiting for her milk to come in. Once her milk starts coming in, it will just be a matter of a week or two.

She is looking great
default_smile.png
Im fairly sure that is a type of fescue, I took some in to my local feed store that grows a lot of their own hay and was told it was. It did look like yours. Saying this I am in Australia so might be best to take a sample into your produce store just to make sure.

That's quite the udder she has developed, will be interesting to see if she progresses as she did last time from this point onwards.

Hope you get your wish for a colt
default_smile.png

Went out to feed and she has fluid. It's not much but its there!

Also finally felt Baby A kick. Its been about two weeks since I've felt it.
default_smile.png

It was such a minimal amount that I questioned whether or not it was boob sweat or actually came from her teats. But yep. It was there! It's still clear and but hey. This is real. We're gonna have a baby in awhile.
default_smile.png

It was also really nice to finally feel the baby kick after such a long hiatus. I've seen a few too many sad stories in the past couple days, it just makes you worry sometime. But I understand that it gets a bit cramped being stuck in such a small space. lol

I had to go out to help put out a bale of hay for the mares and I was messing around with Bow. Her bag definitely grew since this morning when I last posted pictures and I was able to express fluid a lot easier than a couple hours ago, from both teats. So now I know it wasn't just some fluke or trick of the mind.

I did do a few PH tests just to see if my strips still changed colors, and just to be safe. They came up somewhere between 8-9PH. I need to get new PH strips since mine expired in 2012 and have been in the tack room during the winter and summer months.

I'll post all of the pictures from today so you guys compare. (I've posted some of these before already, so just bear with me)

Body pictures:

Bow 302 days day.jpg

Bow 302 days day4.jpg

Bow 302 days night1.jpg

Bow 302 days day2.jpg

Bag pictures:

Bow 302 days day3.jpg

Bow 302 days night.jpg

End of June - Surely not
default_new_rofl.gif
but then seeing Dianes mare go another month. They do like to keep us guessing
default_smile.png
Let me tell you. I wasn't expecting this sudden development. She just needs to cross her legs and let that baby cook. I would feel safer if she waited until at least 320 days.

Whoa just had to go back and check the rest of your thread as I was already late to the party. She is just over 300 days. I agree , keep your legs together and the oven cooking. The final finishing touches are always the best.
default_smile.png

Checked her on my lunch break.

Her bag has softened up considerably and isn't rock hard like last night. However it hasn't *really* gone down in size that much.

Her fluid is still a transparent yellow color but is easy to expel.

I did do a PH test just for poops and giggles. My PH strips are horrible so I'm going to buy some new ones tonight, especially ones that have smaller increments as well.

Bow 303 days3.jpg

Bow 303 days2.jpg

Bow 303 days1.jpg

Bow PH 303.jpg

Night update. I bought some decent PH strips (which were $12 btw. crazy)

Not much change. I just wanted to post her pictures to show her ph with actual PH strips that are current and have differentiated PH intervals.

And plus, I'm pretty partial to this mare.
default_wub.png

Edit: Actually, I can tell her bag grew. Its definitely spread and thickened toward the back and widened out. I also think that 7.2 will be her average PH, so if it drops anywhere below that, then I guess its go time.

bow 303 night2.jpg

bow 303 night1.jpg

bow 303 night3.jpg

bow ph 303 night.jpg

No update today.

I did do the nail test and the nail spun a bit initially, but I settled it and stopped it so I could get an accurate "reading" and it just went side to side. It wasn't the wind in the barn either, because the wind would have blown it N/S whereas the nail spun E/W.

The nail test thread also mentioned the "tail test" and I won't be doing that. I don't see how that test could prove anything. I don't brush her tail out often, she's in a dry lot and its still cold out and they're shedding, and itching, etc. Her tail head is ALWAYS frizzy and messy. As are the tail heads on the rest of my mares...

Not much of an update tonight. The mares have been in due to the rain, but hopefully they'll be able to go out tomorrow while its nice.

PH test came back normal. Nothing alarming and milk is still yellowish/clear.

Pictures though;

Morning-

Bow 304 days Morning.jpg

Night-

Bow 304 days3.jpg

bow 304 days1.jpg

Bow 304 days2.jpg

Here's yesterday's update since I was unable to post. I wont have a current update until tomorrow since I'm out of town. I will see her tomorrow and my mom is on "Milk Color Watch" over the weekend.

She hasn't really changed much. But you can tell she's getting tired. Every time I'm out there she is standing by herself and just isn't too comfortable. But her milk is still yellowish/clear and sticky. PH hasn't changed either. I can tell that her nipples are starting to thicken and fill compared to the previous day I posted.

Yesterday during lunch:

11294571_869886513097892_942270727_o.jpg
11349002_869886473097896_1524278459_n.jpg

11289551_869885569764653_1441438320_n.jpg

Yesterday Night:

11264359_870175883068955_346814351_o.jpg

11271267_870175846402292_1263795253_n.jpg

11358871_870175899735620_1326685748_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back