Dog topic... controversial

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marsha, the dog in the bottom picture sure looks pit, but I haven't seen enough of them to absolutely certain.
I'm not sure anyone in those days knew about "pit bulls". And, unfortunately, there is no one left alive for me to ask.

So many old advertising mascots were bulldogs. It always meant something that was strong and wouldn't let go. So, there must be an old, established traditional knowledge of bulldogs.

I'm not a big Pit Bull fan due to the nature of those very powerful jaws.I do know from experience that any individual dog can be aggressive.I have 2 Pembroke Welsh Corgis (14 yr old mom &12 yr old daughter)& 1 5 yr old rescue German Shepherd.I bred German Shepherds(had the same line for 42 yrs)and bred Corgis&have had them since 1972.I NEVER had an aggressive German Shepherd-they were protective, but knew who to trust.1 was sold to a DE State trooper and he would bring him back to visit and play with my small children.Put him in the car&he was ON.IMO bad breeding has ruined today's German Shepherd.They are nervous and unpredictable.I cringe when I see them at shows.My rescue Shepherd has a very high prey drive and he is supervised around the Corgis.My 12 yr old Corgi would be trouble if she were a big dog.She is very food aggressive and has gone on attack mode against her mother several times where food was involved.They are also strongly supervised.As said previously many people pick the wrong dog for their family.In my area the shelters are over run with Pits and Pit mixes.I have a friend who is animal control officer and she says many Pits are being bred for exchange for drugs.Some of these people are also on public assistance.Our tax dollars at work

Where I live, the local Animal Control and Animal Humane are FULL of pits and pit crosses. I have encountered some that seemed very friendly and outgoing--but I would never choose to adopt one or allow one to be around my other animals. There are simply too many horror stories, too often. A lady walking her Chi on a leash in Santa Fe; two pits leap a fence and attack both, killing the Chi. An older lady taking a walk in T or C, attacked and killed by pits...these two stories come to mind from within my state in just the past year or two. Like others, I enjoy having other dogs, usually some 'tinies'...and I don't feel a pit could ever be fully trusted around them, OR my little horses. There are simply too many reported stories of unwarranted unexpected attacks by this breed or cross, too often by dogs that have always seemed 'just fine'. I am NOT willing to 'hope for the best', take such a gamble. The story of the little girl is sad beyond description....

https://www.facebook.com/pitbullapocalypse

Here is an interesting pitbull facebook site dedicated to providing information, stories and stats. on this breed of dog. I admit I was shocked by the information and how much deeper the problem is than I realized.

Little Emily in the original story I posted is receiving nerve grafts in her arm today. She has been under anesthesia twice today. She has a long way to go. I read her moms facebook daily. Everybody should. It is a lesson in bravery and humbleness and how precious life is. That little 8 year old girl has gone through so much.

In DE my friend who is in animal control said she would like to see a law passed that if a person is on welfare or any kind of public assistance they should be prohibited from owning animals or at least limit the kind and only be permitted spayed or neutered animals.If taxpayers have to provide for them why should we subsidize their drug money efforts in breeding dogs.I feel sorry for the Pits_I'm sure many are ok,just stupid irresponsible owners.

Wow I cant believe Labs and boxers made that list.

We have owned Boxers and Rottweilers over the years. Rottweilers I would be definitely wary of. Boxers I have never seen one with an aggressive streak ever.

I DID NOT SAY that all people on welfare are breeding Pits.I know that for many people on welfare or public assistance an animal may be a great source of companionship especially older folks.It is very difficult for my friend who is an animal control officer(very compassionate person)to see what many of these animals go through due to careless breeding practices and have lack of care.I may have worded things poorly or there is always someone on here ready to fight.For those who know me well you know that I am most always about the care of the animal.IMO if you can't care properly for something living then don't have it.

Ryan, while I agree with you to a point I have to say, one of the most aggressive dogs I know is a boxer named Hemi. He belongs to my hay supplier and he would happily tear chunks from anyone who comes in the yard until his owner talks to him. If you roll down your window to talk to him (or even make eye contact with the window closed) he will lunge at the window. He is a very scary dog, the exception (there always seems to be one) to the rule since most boxers are not aggressive unless they are really provoked.

Having been on the board of directors for a no-kill cat and dog shelter in the Portland area, I can assure you "careless breeding practices and have lack of care" (sic) are not practices limited to or primarily found with the poor. The people who stuffed 3 kittens into a taped airproof container and left them at the dump on a hot summer day were from one of the area's wealthiest suburbs. The man who promised his parents he would find a home for their beloved dog, then asked the vet to euthanize him was a business leader in the community. The young woman to whom I gave a kitten years ago for her son, who then abandoned it when they moved, sayin it was "only an animal" was a very successful advertising salesperson (who I mistakenly trusted). Look at what goes on amongst certain breeders and exhibitors of miniature horses. Ginger in the anus to make the horse look "spirited." Breeding every mare every year despite a bad market and overpopultion. And so it goes

So denying poor people their constitutional rights will help prevent mistreatment of animals? HOW?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"OMG - Ginger in the Anus to make the horse look spirited" ???^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Please tell me they have since been banned from owning an animal of any kind ?

I have had to read that 4 times and borrow someones glasses just to make sure my eyes were not failing me.

It is horrifying, but true. I would like to think that nobody could get away with it these days, but I'm not holding my breath.

The only dog I ever knew of personally to kill was a chow. It was a family pet, and killed the small daughter. I have not liked chows since then.

I do not believe in putting regulations on welfare folks about animals. I can see the point, however. Why should tax dollars support pets? Or a breeding business? Why should welfare folks get their animals neutered for free when we have to pay? There isn't any easy answer. The central government certainly shouldn't be in on it. Let local communities handle it. Our vets have a fund that people can contribute to for helping with spaying/neutering. Or if I know someone personally who needs help I can contribute that way.

Sorry Ryan, first time I witnessed this awful act I was at an auction. Needless to say I was mortified and it took several minutes to come to the realization of what I was seeing.

I have english bulldogs, love them to pieces but can't trust them with dogs that are not from their pack. They hate my daughters corgis and will try to fight with them when ever they get near, so they must be separated at all times. They love, love kids and babies but sometimes will get soo wiggly and happy that they forget they weigh more then little tykes. From their history I think they were at one time very aggressive but thast has been bred out and a better disposition bred in. I thought that the pitbulls were the product of breeding english bulldogs and staffordshire terriors to produce a dog with powerful jaws and substanced of body, please correct me if I'm wrong. I used to groom dogs and never had a problem with this breed, but was attacked by a rottie, thank goodness it had a muzzle on as it was so powerful it slammed me into the wall. One of my friends bought a shepherd and when it matured she came home to find it had mauled her sheltie to death. When I was living in the city, lady had a standard poodle it got off leash and attacked and killed her neighbors maltese. If it has teeth it can bite, but I do agree that this breed is one of the worst.

I don't think owning an animal is a constitutional right. I do agree if you can't afford to feed yourself you probably should not own animals. Of course I feel the same way about having children but that's another topic.

Sonya, I could not agree more!

I do think if you are receiving taxpayer funded government assistance for your own food and shelter needs, then you probably should forfeit some luxuries. Luxuries are easily contrasted to constitional rights when those luxuries require dollars and cents that a person could otherwise use to provide food and shelter for themselves. Remember, the government cannot give to anyone something that it does not first take from someone else.

If you can't afford to feed and house yourself, you really don't need to be having children or pets.

I assume this would apply to corporate welfare as well.

I'm in favor of limiting breeding, but it should not be just the poor who are restricted. I would be in support of breeds and registries (with all animals) approving breeding stock as they do in Europe and limiting registration to approved stock. THAT would cut back on puppy and foal mills, but talk about something that would get people up in arms!

I assume this would apply to corporate welfare as well.
I'm not very familiar with corporate welfare, and can only imagine the microscopic number of corporations (on welfare?) that could conceivably be active in anything related to pit bull dogs. No clue of the tie in.

The boxer I used to own was awesome with her family and kids. In fact my daughter bit her ear once and she did nothing. At the same time I seen her dart to the road after somebody riding their bike snarling away. Never went on the road but she was always very protective of her family and I wouldn't put it past her to defend them if necessary.

At the same time, I don't feel just because a person needs assistance that they shouldn't be allowed to have a pet. Pets have been known to be beneficial to many mental health disorders; which many people have. I think if we stripped people of their pets we would be paying out more for mental health care.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back