baby bump/bumps.....?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkblazin

Reaction score
Hi my name is Rebecca. I am new to the forum so to say. I have been reading the posts for years but never made an account. Until now lol. Over the summer I bred four of my mares. Out of the four, two are maidens. This will be my first time ever foaling out my own mares. Hopefully I guess it depends on if they are pregnant. So to the point I want to know how soon will a baby bump show on the girls? I know maidens hide the pregnancy well. The first mare that seems to be pregnant is four months in. To me she seems fatter. Is that possible? So soon.

Then there are two mares who had very crazy seasons. I know that last time we bred one of the crazy season mares, the breeder said that she wasn't pregnant and she kept coming back into season. But then the next year she had a red bag. And the foal died. The vet blamed it on the foal being deformed. It wasn't it was a perfectly formed silver dapple pinto filly with blue eyes. I think he didn't want to admit that he had to big of hands to do anything. At the time I was young and at school. And that foal was a month and a half early. That mare was first bred at the end of may.

The other wacky season mare was bred at the same time and had longggggg seasons ugghggh they never endeddddd. It was sometimes 18 days long. Im ok with her not being pregnant because she is younger. Then the next mare was terrible for breeding. Finding out if she was in season was bad. Then actually getting her to accept the stallion. Wow she was fun...eventually the stud figured her out. But she didn't come back in season and is three months in.

These will all be falabella blend foals. And the stud was 27 in tall. I wanted the foaling e to be simple with a small stud and lines so the foals would be easier to deliver. My girls are 30,31,33,37 inch tall. If needed I can post pics. But what is the soonest the you guys have seen mares show? Oh and I started breeding them in may and stopped in July.

WELCOME to the Nutty Nursery! Which of Carol's stallions did you breed to? I'm the President of FIPA (Falabella International Preservation Association) and Carol is the VP, and I'm assuming you borrowed one of Carol's stallions, and I know each one very well.

We'd love to see pictures of the ladies. For starters, take one full side picture of each mare, right down at her level, and then stand at the back of each girl looking forward (down her sides to her head), and stoop down and take another picture. We will use these pictures as starting points, and we'll be able to see each girl change and grow during their pregnancies.

At four months, it may be a bit early to tell, but I know that some of my mares "looked" different to me within a month or so of conceiving. I know they hadn't really "changed" but something about them had changed. So, I'm very excited to see new Falabellas coming into the world!!

~~Diane at Castle Rock

Wow! That was quick. Haaa no I did not borrow one of carols. Speaking of carol she is AMAZING! I borrowed one of Laurie's . her daughter actually set it up. I have been volunteering at there farm for over 7 years now. She thought it would be a good idea for me to use the stallion for the summer since she would not be using him. This was also a nice training opportunity for him
default_smile.png
. He learned to come, respect the halter, and people are good. When they got him he wasn't handled so he was afraid of everything. His name is af relampago. Know they can walk in halter and do anything with him. It's almost like he is a gelding now ( cause he is relaxed). He is on there sales page at the moment. I wish they would keep him as he is my favorite. The reason he is for sale though is because he produces red. There goal is apps not red pintos.

I will try to take some photos for you. I will be doing it with an iPad, sorry if they are not great. It will be an odd combo with my mares lines. They have melody boy, land of oz, and my largest has toyland in her, and I have a mare from little kings farm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I can't rotate them because of the iPad? I tried to edit and there was no rotation option. Sorry

I know Relampago well, too. I have a database with over 2700+ pure Falabellas, and have been doing research on them for a very long time. He will throw some nice foals for you. And yes, I know they have changed their program quite a bit, and only want the black-based appaloosas. I'm an appaloosa breeder too, but I love and respect the wonderful Falabellas, no matter what color they come in. They are just a special little breed, and you'll be happy with the babies he produces for you, I'm sure.

Thanks for the "beginning" pictures of the girls. They are all quite lovely....even if they're standing on their heads!!

I'm so glad you joined us here. We're here to answer any questions you may have as the pregnancies progress, and have some good and informative threads and videos pinned at the top of the page that you might want to read and re-read as the girls progress.

Yes they do look rather odd upside Down!
default_smile.png
he is a great little stud and I hope someone like you who has researched and devoted there life to the breed will buy him. He has come very far over just the short time I had him. Now when I go to the farm he stands at the gate and watches me. But i know someone will come along
default_smile.png

And I know you have a wealth of knowledge. Lol I was on your article page about Falabellas. And are you by chance the nice lady that carol got a couple of her newer stallions from. When I met her she was very excited. She has also been helping mane in heaven. I don't know how she has so much energy!

Just a month ago I slept at the toyland farm waiting for a maiden mare to foal. I spent three nights in the barn loft. Woooo that was mosquito city. Really it was like the sun goes down and they flock! I got up every half an hour. Then on the third night I said to my friend " third nights the charm". And she just sat there in silence haha I made her come with me all three nights. We got to the farm and the mares bag was so full when she walked up to me it shot a jet stream of milk at me lol. I think it was around 8. I wrapped her tail and set my alarm for 20 mins. My friend went to look first when the alarm went off and then screamed Rebecca she's down hurry! So I proceeded to help her through the process. I had the baby out in two mins. Felt like an eternity. His head was a little large for her so I really had to help their. I don't think the foal would have made it without me on the other end. And this whole time my friend was videoing. After I deliverd him I texted Laurien " hey it's a bay tri pinto colt with silver on his legs". Then she told me it is a relampago son!

Everything on this forum helped me deliver that foal. I love the questions and videos. And iam farm also had quite a few videos I was watching. Thank you so much for your responses. Maybe in a couple months I will post more pictures and maybe you could tell me if there is a difference.
default_smile.png

Oh and before I forget. Sorry about the girls, they are in pasture condition. I just looked at one of the pictures and I see dirt! But the one mare with the dark marks on her face is a pintaloosa so those are markings not dirt( that would be really bad haha). Too bad varnish took over her nice pinto markings:(

We're all well acquainted with dirt. Never worry, we don't "judge" here, just try and help -- so pasture condition is just fine!

Carol's two main stallions are son's of my "heart horse" Grosshill's El Rey -- a premier stallion in the Falabella breed, and imported "in utero" from the Falabella farm in Argentina. El Rey is now deceased, but was quite the looker and producer. Her new stallion, Sreenan's Silhouette, was from my dear friend, Barbara Screenan, from the son of Chianti, Rancho Casa Bella's Chianti II -- and both Barbara and I owned him until his death. It was very sad losing these well respected older boys, but all lived to be ripe old gentlemen.

Here are the pictures of El Rey and Chianti II

elrey check.jpg RANCHO CASA BELLAS CHIANTI II - C - #396.jpg

They are both beautiful. Yes silhouette is who I was thinking of! The resemblance is incredible! It's as if the color was switched. Sad that even the best get there time. But they are probably frolicking in a field of alfalfa right now. Or so I would like to think my oldest will be doing soon
default_sad.png
. But hopeful she will make it through next summer and get to have grand kids.
default_smile.png
thank you so much for your time. And maybe today the girls will get there last baths before the cold hits ( I'm a dog groomer so it's very exciting to have cleaning projects) then ill put clean pictures up. Thank you again
default_smile.png

Ok so I guess I should give a little background on the girls. First up is whisper. Her moment dad are both blue eyed paints. Her moms name is actually " land of ozs painted lady" no Pun intended
default_smile.png
. She had a red bag a couple years ago. The sire was pale face. I don't know his farm. So this is my redo for my dream foal. Hopeful it all works out.

I gave her a bath and of course she rolled when I wasn't looking lol. Probably waited for the right moment.

image.jpg

Sorry about the face cut off it was sunny, so I didn't notice until like 2 seconds whoops. I guess there really isn't much introduction if there's no face to meet. But you can tell she is a sweet mare anyways
default_smile.png

Then my little angel wonders valley lady bug. She is my guard dog. And if she sees a camera, then she feels the need to high step and flag her tail. She is a palomino pinto. There is some paw printing on her shoulder. Her dad is a sorrel pinto. Mom is a buckskin. I don't know what she will produce with a black pintaloosa. Any ideas?

image.jpg

My largest of the four is calfe. I don't know exactly what her parents were. They came from Toyland farm. She is about 36 in tall. Her first foal was a bay and white pinto with blue eyes. That breeding was from a sorrel and white stud. She is a pintaloosa with some varnish. When she was younger he was a bronze brown color where her pinto is. She will do anything you want except step in a puddle. I think she knows that she is mostly white
default_smile.png

image.jpg

Then my future show girl is little kings blazin. She is not registered under that name but that's what I call her. Her mom was blazin. I think she sold at the 2012 Lkf auction. She was a tiny sorrel mare. Blazins dad is little kings madams mr bay. She resembles him the most. She is 31 in and a bay, with possibly rabicano. The pictures don't really show her skunk tail. She is in everyone's business all the time. And oh my gosh can she move. I had to call robin and tell her I have never seen a horse move like that before.

image.jpg

Then my little angel wonders valley lady bug. She is my guard dog. And if she sees a camera, then she feels the need to high step and flag her tail. She is a palomino pinto. There is some paw printing on her shoulder. Her dad is a sorrel pinto. Mom is a buckskin. I don't know what she will produce with a black pintaloosa. Any ideas?

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
As to colors: She's carrying a cream gene, so that will "play" in the mix, and with "paw-prints" she may also be homozygous for her pinto gene -- I'm going to give you information as if she's homozygous for her pinto gene.

So, here's what the possibilities are:

• Smokey Black pinto, or pintaloosa
  • Buckskin pinto, or pintaloosa
  • Bay pinto, or pintaloosa
  • Black pinto, or pintaloosa
  • Chestnut pinto, or pintaloosa
  • Palomino pinto, or pintaloosa
If she is not homozygous for her pinto gene, any of these could just be "solids", and of course they could be :"appaloosa solids" with appaloosa characteristics (mottling, sclera, etc). It all depends on how the genes line up and what they pass on to the little one.

So, what is Calfe's registered name? Toyland registers everything, so there should be a registered name, and I can look up the pedigree and give you the information on parents, etc.

That's a handsome mare, for sure. You said you're going to show her? Best of luck! But first, I'd can't wait to see what they can produce with Relampago!!

I really hope that she is homozygous for pinto. She had apps on her moms side but I couldn't find pictures of them. As for calfe she sadly is not registered. We got her from a nice women in Wisconsin. It was around 17 years ago, and my mom paid about 200 for her and a little stud colt. She was my sisters horse. I was to young to know what was going on. All I remember from then was that she would not trot on the lead. And I thought she was really lazy lol. I visited the breeder of calfe just a month ago. Her name is carol lass. As it turns out she is a client of my uncle ( hes a vet). smalllll world. i can try and contact her to see who the parents are. Should have asked when I was there but we got on the topic of genetics and how cool it is I got to breed calfe to pego.

Three of my mares have been acting study to the other girls. Laurien told me that means they are carrying colts. Have you noticed this also? Today blazin was grunting at whisper more than usual. Well usual since she got bred. And my girls are not all that talkative to each other. Whisper is just excited when she sees her mom. It's kind of funny because when ever I halter my oldest mare all of the other girls get worked up. Like I'm taking her away for ever or something. Thank you for the color possibilities. I'm so excited!

Itsssssssss timmeeeeeeee for annnnnn update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_smile.png

So all the girls look bigger. Two are for sure prego! So excited. And two are yay or nay!?...

IMG_20141120_162756.jpg

Cafe for sure prego, I have felt some movement, and she has gained quit a bit of extra fluff
default_smile.png

IMG_20141120_162845.jpg

Then whisper. She blew up like a balloon over a couple of days. And I felt movement:)

IMG_20141120_163003.jpg

Lady bug. She seems bigger but idk. She also breaths heavy.

IMG_20141120_162910.jpg

Blazin could be a hay belly. I haven't felt anything yet
default_sad.png

Everyone except for blazin has had changes in there udders/ lady parts. Well blazin does have some extra chub in front of her udder. She's also very sensitive there. So what do you think..? See any changes?
default_smile.png

The look Great
default_smile.png
lady Bug is adorable , Guessing you knew that already tho
default_smile.png

Sporting their woollies. I can def see changes with café and even Lady Bug.

Which two are your maidens ?

Latest posts

Back