Pet turtles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt know they got that big! Yours is so cute. Are you still planning on putting im back in the wild? I dont think i could lol

Turtle has been having an interesting life lately. He loves grasshoppers. The first one was kind of scary, but once he figured out it was FOOD... Lots of little frogs after all the rain. Turtle likes frogs, too. Yesterday we had a big Fourth get together. The little ones were having a blast in the kiddie pools, so we let Turtle swim with them, too. Here he is going down the slide. He didn't get to to swim long, just a few minutes to thrill the little ones.

turtle slide.jpg

Mr Turtle has had some opportunities to go swimming farther afield. He likes to hunt for snails in my little water garden (which is made from a cattle mineral tub). There are lots of frogs. I have seen a very large frog in the water that might be a threat to Turtle. I have to keep a sharp lookout for him or he is over the side and escaping into the vegetation. Something really would eat him then. Life is hazardous for a tiny turtle.

frogs and turtle2.jpg

Grandchildren gave me two plastic animals for my birthday. Since they are both water creatures, I thought they might like to visit with Turtle. Turtle tried to eat the foot of the beaver. He checked out those strangers pretty thoroughly.

turtle beaver turtle.jpg

I made the decision to send Turtle to a new home. There is a turtle maniac who is going to take him. She has several and really enjoys them as pets. Turtle has been fun, but I'm ready for him to move on.

I loved catching up on your turtle and seeing his pictures! I bet his new person will enjoy him and he looks like he's enjoying the "spa lifestyle". He's lucky to have met you or he'd probably not have made it it since most little ones do not.

My sister took Turtle to work; a workmate wanted him. She said everyone at work loved Turtle! I hope I get updates once in a while on him.

We measured him with calipers last month. He had grown about 1/4" since we found him 18 months ago. He was 1.716".

Got an update on Turtle. He is doing great. He still won't eat turtle food so they have to buy him worms. He has a turtle friend. They think he is a she. If they get tired of him they will let me know, but I think he will be living a long life with them.

Asked about Turtle yesterday and he is still doing great. It will be 2 years in May when we first found him/her.

There was a big red ear slider in the driveway this week when I went out for my bike ride. I put him in a sack and took him with me a mile up the road to a big culvert. I just don't want him in our pond. Hope he doesn't find his way back.

Another tiny turtle today. He was inside the shop. We measured him with the calipers; just a little over 1". NO, I'm NOT keeping him! I emailed a friend who wants one, otherwise he is going down to the creek. He's already eaten 3 worms and a snail.

Hurrah! He has a new home. If we had never seen him we would not care, but once introduced to such a miniature cutie, we would have a hard time putting him out into the cruel world. I found out red ears can live 40 years...we would have to put him in our will at that rate.

Off to dig more worms now...

He is going to school tomorrow for show & tell. The new owner's grandchildren are each anxious to have him. He is going to travel from house to house for a while. Yesterday, one little boy told his mother he was too sick to go to school (cough cough) but all he wanted was to be home when grandma came to babysit baby, and brought the turtle!

What is it about these little creatures that is so alluring?

For me, their allure is:

The timelessness hinted at, by being so remeniscent of their prehistoric roots.

Their eyes look deep and wise, not lifeless like other reptiles.

Their homes, so securely carried along with them...allowing them to be totally independent of the world...or not, as they see fit.

The perseverance implied by their slowness, yet they survive and prosper.

Their acceptance of our manipulating them, yet when you gaze into their eyes, you can sense the endlessness of the universe.

When I hold Grandfather Turtle, I can sense how he might weep for my selfish humanity. I can also sense how he forgives me for it, too.

Yes, I love these little turtles, for all they'd teach me...if I'd only slow down and listen.

I especially love box turtles. I love the markings on their shells and how they get so tame. Haven't kept any since I was a kid, but I still really like them.

The type of box turtles we have here can have yellow, orange or red markings upon their shells and their eyes usually (always?) match the shell marking color. The red and orange ones are really pretty.

Like a lot of us, if it's safe to do it, both Harvey and in will stop and help them cross the road. Always to the side of the road they were aiming toward ds.

A long time ago, I read box turtles like strawberries so much that they will eat so many of them that they cannot fit back into their shells fully... Guess they can't just pop the button on their jeans!
default_biggrin.png

There's a YouTube video of a box turtle belong an over turned box turtle right himself -- pretty neat!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back