Newbie Showing Questions! :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckTheBear

Reaction score
Hi all!

So, I have had big horses all of my life, but as I've recently started having seizures making it unsafe for me to ride, we've made the switch to minis- and I have got to say, I am loving it!!! I got one beautiful boy named Buck (he's a buckskin, of course), who is double-bred Buckeroo, and he is the sweetest most perfect animal in existence. ANYWAY, I want to show him, and have some questions about the show ring!

- Is AMHR/AMHA better (which do you prefer, anyway), and why?

- What colors tend to do well in general halter as well as solid/multicolored classes?

- What does PMC mean? There are PMC halter classes and PMC in-hand obstacle classes I've seen and I have no idea what they are.

- When you set up a horse, do you have to stretch their legs? If so, how do you get them to do that? I've tried just putting them there but he looks stupid that way- he looks more like a Quarter Horse than an Arabian so it's pretty awkward.

- How many classes should I enter with a single horse per day so I don't stress him out? (There are flat fees, so money doesn't matter)

- What classes could you get a horse ready for in a month and a half?

- How long can I work with Buck each day without making him sour to the process? I would love to just practice setting/ground tying for HOURS but I have been very short and sweet with training.

- What colors do you think looks spiffy with buckskins (a very pressing question)?

ANYWAY, if it's helpful, I'll be in youth classes (not sure what the differences are besides the level of your competition). Any info is HUGELY appreciated!! Thank you so much!!
default_smile.png

Hi and Welcome from Australia,

Im not one to help you with your showing questions , but many on here will be able to. Just wanted to say Welcome
default_thumbup.gif

Welcome, i can give perspective from the UK only.

- Is AMHR/AMHA better (which do you prefer, anyway), and why? - This is personal choice. AMHR are larger usually, so over the 34" allowed for mini horses. I prefer AMHA.

- What colors tend to do well in general halter as well as solid/multicolored classes? Colour is the judges preference. Some like colour, some like plain. I know a judge who placed a spotted horse (who went in the ring at the wrong time) in the solid colour class over solid colour horses!

- What does PMC mean? There are PMC halter classes and PMC in-hand obstacle classes I've seen and I have no idea what they are. - Not sure on this one. Possibly a mini club?

- When you set up a horse, do you have to stretch their legs? If so, how do you get them to do that? I've tried just putting them there but he looks stupid that way- he looks more like a Quarter Horse than an Arabian so it's pretty awkward. - Firstly make sure the horse is happy to have the legs handled, and practice placing them. Pick hooves up and put them in place, then reward if they stand still. If they move say "ah ah" and place the foot back. My mare is so good she now lets you lift her hoof and goes limp so you can place it anywhere. As for stretching, you want them to look like they are in a box. Fore legs slightly in front of the chest, back legs just behind the quarters. Practice practice practice!

- How many classes should I enter with a single horse per day so I don't stress him out? (There are flat fees, so money doesn't matter) - I generally enter about 3 or four. They usually run all together so you are only showing for about an hour.

- What classes could you get a horse ready for in a month and a half? - All classes apart from ones you need to do stuff like driving etc lol

- How long can I work with Buck each day without making him sour to the process? I would love to just practice setting/ground tying for HOURS but I have been very short and sweet with training. - Every day. But change it up, day one get him moving to start fittening up. day two standing, day three more fittening, day four standing, day five practice walking and trotting up, day six standing etc etc...i always give a days rest too.

- What colors do you think looks spiffy with buckskins (a very pressing question)? - I always love to see a buckskin in plain colours, black usually. If you want some sort of bling, stick to flattering colours like gold.

Most importantly have fun! It is a competition but it is also a hobby, it can't be too serious or you get sour yourself. Enjoy your lovely little man.

PMC= Physically and/or Mentally challenged. They are classes for our handicapped friends. in AMHR they're now called the COOL classes. Conquering Obstacles, Overcoming Limitations.

AMHA vs AMHR. Not much difference, pretty much the same classes with different names. IMPO I have found the R people to be more friendly and outgoing. R shows also seem to be less expensive. Just my personal observations!

Color: Depends. A good, rich color *should* place over a washy color. Some judges like appies, other perfer pintos.

Stretching: neither registry wants them stretched. They should be square. The rulebooks have pictures.

Classes: you can entry however many he wants to do. Some horses go all day, like at our Stock Show. If he's fit it's no problem.

Practicing: make it fun, make it short. Once he "gets it" don't keep doing it, he'll go sour. And you don't always have to practice then out him away. Groom him, graze him, go for walkies....

Buckskins go with black clothes the best. Some browns look good, too. I did show my bay/buckskin biy in dark green (avatar pic) We looked awesome! I also showed him in cream and got a TON of compliments.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Is AMHR/AMHA better (which do you prefer, anyway), and why?

• I am registered in both but being a newbie to the show world AMHR is less expensive fee wise and the shows are a little more abundant at least in my area vs AMHA. But also being a newbie, I am going to unrated shows as well just to get the experience.
- What colors tend to do well in general halter as well as solid/multicolored classes?

• I think it all depends on the judges preference really. There were horses I liked in the color classes but the judges picked others completely different from what I liked.
- What does PMC mean? There are PMC halter classes and PMC in-hand obstacle classes I've seen and I have no idea what they are.

• Possibly the show or club hosting that class?
- When you set up a horse, do you have to stretch their legs? If so, how do you get them to do that? I've tried just putting them there but he looks stupid that way- he looks more like a Quarter Horse than an Arabian so it's pretty awkward.

• I just set my boy up square and then ask him to extend his neck and perk up his ears, but not enough to where he looks strained. You can youtuve alot of halter classes especially for AMHA worlds etc. Some dont set up enough and some do it to much, just have to find that happy medium in my opinion.
- How many classes should I enter with a single horse per day so I don't stress him out? (There are flat fees, so money doesn't matter)

• If just halter, I'd say as many as you want. When it comes to the performance I think it does depend on your minis condition and how fit they are. I am hoping with mine to be able to do a few performance classes without him being winded etc.
- What classes could you get a horse ready for in a month and a half?

• Halter, the performance classes would depend on how much experience he already has, condition etc.
- How long can I work with Buck each day without making him sour to the process? I would love to just practice setting/ground tying for HOURS but I have been very short and sweet with training.

• If he is not fit at all, like mine was, start with 10 and then work up to 20. Now that mine is training for driving our training sessions are lasting about 30 mins but thats not 100% ground driving, its a variety of things to keep his interest and it doesnt become boring.
- What colors do you think looks spiffy with buckskins (a very pressing question)?

We show both AMHR and AMHA. The shows we go to are set up so you show AMHR on Friday and Saturday the do AMHA on Sunday. That way you get both worlds for the same stall fee. For us the show fees are the same with either association.

The number of classes you do per day will depend greatly on the age and fitness of both you and your horse. I know I put a LOT of time and energy into showing. We scratched classes this past weekend because both my daughter and I were just plain whipped and ready to go home. The mares were fine with plenty of energy to spare.

My sister shows our buckskin stallion while wearing dark jewel colors with black. In general we go with dark horse/light or bright clothes..light horse/darker color clothes.

You've gotten the rest of your answers, and some of those I can't answer to (AMHA).

For colors with buckskins - depends on the "shade" of horse he is. The Hobby Horse Color Wheel is AWESOME!! Personally, as a youth, you can "get away" with more bright color options and patterns as well. As a parent - I hated combining bright fuchsia, orange and lighter pinks and can't stand orange and red or pink together. Does your horse change colors with the seasons? You can do different colors at the beginning of the season vs the end of the season. With a lighter colored horse - blues/greens combined with either black or tan as your base (hat, boots, pants, gloves etc). With a darker colored horse - the oranges, reds, pinks stand out. Really depends, too, on your show attitude and showmanship! Go with a color(s) that you are comfortable in - otherwise you will show your horse poorly w/o even knowing it. How you "feel" while you wear your show clothes is noticeable!

Barefootin- That makes tons of sense with the color contrast!

paintponylvr- Hooray for loud colors, LOL! I never even considered how I would feel in certain colors, so that has given me a ton of insight!!

Ahhh - forgot to add - You can (& should) teach yourself to be confident in any/all colors. But it helps, especially with "newbie jitters" to be in a color that is both complimentary for both you and your horse and that makes you comfortable to begin with. AND even after you become confident in different colors - keep that favorite one that makes you feel "special" - for that day that you are just a little "off". It will brighten you up and help - in more ways then one.

HAVE FUN when showing.

Your horse's personality may also influence your choice. A quiet laid back horse may need some help drawing the judges eye. While with a more outgoing horse you may want to be less noticeable so the judge stays focused on the horse.

Latest posts

Back