Bandy's Foaling Thread - Round 2!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that you have every reason to get excited - there are certainly changes going on! If she will let you peek just inside her vulva, then a change in colour from pale salmony pink to a deep red (if she is a mare that follows this change) will mean that you can be sure that baby will soon arrive!

I agree you are on the home straight, I can see definite changes in this last lot of pics. Best of Luck
default_thumbup.gif

Well, I thought last night was going to be the night. She was up and down all night and I was certain a couple times she was starting to labor - but as soon as I would decide to go out and check on her in person, she would stand up and start eating and act like nothing was happening. So, I didn't get much sleep, and she is keeping me waiting. Hopefully she doesn't keep this up too much longer. Tonight we are supposed to have a big thunderstorm - so maybe baby will decide to make its entrance in the middle of the storm! I'm glad that we have a nice dry barn for all of this
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderstorms are well known for starting the foaling proceedure! Any news?

I wish I had news, but there is still no foal. I didn't get much sleep last night again, as Bandy is definitely spending more time lying down and is constantly up and down - so I have been watching her close. Her udder has continued to swell - I don't think it can get much bigger, but I guess we will see. At the moment she is just relaxing in the corral so who knows? I know it can't be too much longer, but I guess Bandy and the baby don't think I've missed enough sleep yet. If the rain lets up I'll go take a few more photos and post them a little later.

Well, I am still waiting and waiting! Here are some new photos. To me the photos don't really look like she has changed much in the past few days. Her udder has definitely gotten bigger, but I think the photo of this is kind of deceiving compared to the last post. I think I am at the point of committing myself to a good week or more of no sleep and watching a horse all night!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I agree Lack of sleep coming up for you Brody. Good Luck Mate, better to be with her to help her get this foal safely on the ground.
default_thumbup.gif

I think those teats could just separate a little more - could happen very quickly or maybe another day or two! So glad you are keeping a really close eye on her - the only safe, certain place to be when these little ones are due to foal is right alongside them. When you need matchsticks to help keep your eyes open, she will foal - and you will forget all about being tired!!
default_yes.gif

So, I didn't think her udder could get much fuller, but apparently I was wrong. It is quite a bit bigger today as I think you can see in the photos. Also, as Anna suggested I started checking the inside of her vulva and it has turned a darker red - it was noticeable last night, but much darker this evening. I tried to get a photo of that, but none of those seemed to turn out. Also, she has been behaving a lot different today. I lock her inside at night, open her up to an outside corral during the day - and then also give her a couple hours out on the pasture as well. Today, though, she didn't ever come out of the barn... she never stepped foot in the corral, and when I opened the pasture she walked out for a few minutes and then headed right back inside. I am really hoping this change in behavior means the baby is coming tonight - but I'm not holding my breath!

On a positive note, though, we did welcome our first babies of the season last night and into today - we had 8 baby chicks hatch. Attached is a photo of the hen with 3 baby chicks poking their heads out - the rest are all hiding under her or in her wing feathers! I'm hoping this starts a trend and our foal and baby goats decide to make an entrance soon too!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sounds as though tonight could well be THE night for you! Good luck and safe foaling.
default_pray.gif

Well, I am hoping and praying we're in the home stretch. It is a little after 6AM here now, but starting about an hour ago Bandy started becoming quite restless, pacing her stall, nipping at her sides, and pawing at the door (which she never does). She has dug a pretty substanstial hole there this morning! All signs of the first stage of labor, so I went out and wrapped her tail, cleaned her all up, and put a fresh layer of bedding down in the stall. She calmed down quite a bit after I replenished her hay supply and nothing is happening at the moment so I came back inside and am watching her over the monitor. Behavior is all back to 'normal' at the moment, but if this isn't it then she is having a really convincing false labor. Hopefully I'll be posting again in a few hours with a a baby update, but I am still somewhat reserved in letting myself be convinced that the foal is actually coming.
default_smile.png

Well, I've kept waiting and hoping there would be news, but she has decided to hold out. She has me completely stumped at this point. This morning she had EVERY indication listed in the book that she was in stage 1 labor. (Literally, I read through that section of my foaling book this morning and she had every single indicating factor listed in the book): Restless, pacing around, getting up and down and rolling constantly, nipping at her sides, waxed udder, digging in her stall... Then, by 9am all was quiet?! The foal was REALLY kicking, though, I don't think I have ever seen such violent kicks - portruding out the abdomen a couple inches (poor girl).

So, there was no foal today and at the moment it seems like things have digressed. Her udder had been huge and firm the last few days and now it is 'deflated' and squishy and no more milk coming at them moment. So, I am at a loss. I do think the baby really shifted around today as Bandy's sides are a lot flatter - but I think I am done trying to guess when it will happen :/

Attached are a few photos from today. As you can see her tail is still wrapped at this point. I just realized I didn't take an udder shot - so included are just the body shots. I ended up letting her out in the pasture for a couple hours around noon as she was obviously not doing anything exciting by that point.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Good Luck Mate , The main thing is you are with her for when she does decide its time.

Its Friday Morning here in Australia and Im tipping by the time I return to work Monday you will have a new addition to your family.

default_thumbup.gif

Everything is still the same - no changes last night and still no baby. So, the wait continues!

These mares certainly like to play the waiting game!! Hope you dont have much longer to wait.

Yes, you are correct in that there is still no announcement and yes I am very sleep deprived at this point! I promise that I will share an announcement with some photos whenever this little foal does decide to make an entrance! Attached are some photos - please excuse the mud! I was just bringing her in from the pasture and she loves to dig, role and splash in the stream and mud near the stream. I took the photos before brushing her as it was starting to get dark and wanted to make sure and get them while I still had light. The update, I think, is that we are back to square one! As I compare photos, her udder now looks the same as the previous photo I posted. Between that post and now her udder 'deflated', but has now filled back up. Otherwise, everything else is looking the same to me. I could be wrong, though, as I have spent so many hours staring at her at this point I'm beginning to lose my senses! Hopefully I'll have a baby announcement with my next post, but at this point I am still not going to hold my breath! It has now been 5 1/2 weeks since she first started filling her udder - so I am starting to conclude that none of the averages apply to her at this point.
default_smile.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Brody Im certainly far from the experienced on here but I can see a change in the side Pic you have posted from the last one . To me , It looks like she has dropped a little more. Diane, Anna What do you both think ?

Well, here is another round of photos. We are still waiting, though perhaps less patiently
default_smile.png
I think I am going to sleep for a month once this baby actually gets on the ground. I don't think I've ever had a mare be this tricky before!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back