Photo

Miniature Horse dwarfism - Test Now Available!

Testing is now available!

70 replies to this topic

#21 JMS Miniatures

JMS Miniatures

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

This is incredible news!

We can all play our part in this by only buying horses from those who test and share proof of the results. We have the tools, now we must use them for the good of our breed. 

AMHA and AMHR should note test results on a horse's papers. I'm sure many would object if this were a requirement, but it could at least be an option that would follow a horse throughout his or her life.  

It was announced on FB yesterday that AMHR will put results on the papers for a small fee.

This will change the miniature horse industry and I hope many will do this. I'm hoping to start breeding again in the near future so I already sent in for one of 2 of my mares this morning. 

• susanne likes this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#22 Margo_C-T

Margo_C-T

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Well, I certainly hope that AMHA will step up to the plate and do the same thing(put the dwarf testing results on the papers(and amy fee SHOULD be small, IMO!)

Edited by Margo_C-T, 11 April 2014 - 11:57 AM.

Margo

Jess Miniatures-home of "homebred, homemade" Champions!
Near-lifetime resident of New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment--and wouldn't live anywhere else!

#23 Tremor

Tremor

I gotta get a life...

• Youth Member
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

It was announced on FB yesterday that AMHR will put results on the papers for a small fee.

This will change the miniature horse industry and I hope many will do this. I'm hoping to start breeding again in the near future so I already sent in for one of 2 of my mares this morning. 

I'm curious. Say I have a mare who tests as a full blown dwarf and send in her test results because she IS registered, will they strip the papers? How would that affect offspring that are registered or are going to be, if they are not dwarves but are carriers?

(Just thinking here)

#24 Tremor

Tremor

I gotta get a life...

• Youth Member
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Do you have a link to that post? I couldn't find it?

#25 horsehug

horsehug

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Tremor, I don't think I'm supposed  to put a link to FB on here but if you go to FB and type in
ASPC/AMHR/ASPR in the search bar you will get the page that Lewella posted it in.  Just scroll down til you see her post, not very far down.

Susan O.

• Debby - LB likes this
Hilliard Horses-to-Hug on the high plains of Southwest Wyoming
Tiny Exquisite Correct Colorful Minis!
http://www.hilliardhorsestohug.com

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Be kind anyway"......Mother Teresa
"Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary use words".........St Francis of Assisi

#26 Reignmaker Miniatures

Reignmaker Miniatures

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Interests:Horse, dogs, gardening

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

I'm in the 'no longer breed' group but I think this is very good news. How wonderful to be able to tell ahead of time what you are dealing with and what the risks are! Thank you to those who have spent so many long hours deciphering this genetic puzzle and making this test available.

• horsehug likes this

#27 Watcheye

Watcheye

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

This is amazing. I thought it was years off!

• horsehug likes this

#28 Lewella

Lewella

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

The ASPC/AMHR Board of Directors voted at Convention in November that once available, members would be able to record Dwarf test results on their horse's registration papers.  Having the results recorded will incur a registration paper update fee just like adding color test results (which AMHR will also do). 

Tremor - the ASPC/AMHR Board of Directors has not yet addressed the possible issues with test results that indicated the horse that was tested was itself a dwarf. 

• horsehug likes this
Platte Ridge Farm
Lewella Tembreull & Family
Home of Modern Shetland Halter Hall of Fame Stallions:
Grassmere's Mr. Unique (HOF) - 1997 Modern Halter Pony of the Year - ASPC/AMHR
Willowlawn's Mr. Unique (HOF)
Plattes Unparalleled (HOF)

#29 Tremor

Tremor

I gotta get a life...

• Youth Member
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

Thank you! Cannot wait to here updates!

#30 Maple Hollow Farm

Maple Hollow Farm

Someone just shoot me!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

This is great news.  Just will take me a while to be able to afford to test all of our horses at that price.  I am unemployed so dont have tons of extra cash laying around LOL!  I would assume AMHA would have no problem with adding the testing results to the papers since they already allow the color testing results to be added.  Would be interesting to call and ask and find out :)

Melinda Selk (Jackson)
Maple Hollow Farms
Dysart, IA
http://www.maplehollowhorsefarm.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users