Scrappy quilt help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
OK, I've got a ton of fabric here. All kinds. And since I just finished the quilt for my granddaughter, where I actually had to purchase fabric (because I wanted it a specific color), I'm now in the mood to start another quilt and use up some of this fabric that I have. Now, I have two thoughts:

1) I'd love to do a double Irish chain and use reds, blues and tans. I've easily got enough of all those colors. And I haven't done this pattern before so it would be something new.

2) I'm thinking of an Ohio star. Actually I guess many Ohio stars. Maybe a 6 inch block. All the stars would be a different color with the same beige background. And I could alternate the star block with a simple 6 inch 9 block. I'd probably do all the 9 blocks all the same colors just so it doesn't go too color crazy.

I don't want to do a sampler quilt because I've already done that. My problem is that I'm really um.....er.....ok, not real adventurous. (a nice way of saying boring.....ahem) I like my quilts to be "orderly" and not too crazy. I absolutely love a two color quilt or a three color quilt. So here I have tons of fabric and I don't know how to use it all. I've looked and looked at patterns and just can't find something that appeals to my sense of order and my need to use up all this fabric. Last year I did a barn raising log cabin and loved the way it turned out. But been there, done that. Don't want to make the same quilt again, even if it does use up my fabric stash.

Can you guys give me some ideas of things you've done that uses different colors?

I am not going to be any help on this one as I am like you. I like my quilts "orderly also. This is the closest one that I did with lots of colors. I used a jelly roll for this so the colors repeated in the different patterns and all the fabric matched. I cut these out for this quilt and laid the pieces out and rearranged them many times before I got it just how I wanted it to look. The first photo is closer to the real colors of the fabric.

BethsQuilt2.jpg

BethsQuilt1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am somewhat orderly when I quilt, but I'm working on using up stash fabric that I have and not buying any. Previously I bought a lot of FQs, well a FQ of this and that doesn't necessarily go together, but I managed to come up with 3 scrappy quilt (all smaller in size; baby to small lap size).
Here are the three I did (or am working on):
craftsy star quilt - blue - jan 2014.jpg
Wickedly Easy pattern - February 2014.jpg
Scrappy Irish Chain - March 2014 - top only.jpg

Oh, and I think the double irish chain might work easier for your orderly scrappy look.

My Irish chain is 8 different fabrics plus the background; I think 6 were from the same collection plus two that seemed to kind of go. The backing is a solid tannish fabric, that might be cotton/poly blend. I'm trying to just quilt from stash, and try to use up all these oddball pieces I bought that really don't go with anything in particular.

12-01-2013 04;02;08PM.jpgI think you could use all types of fabric if you used triangles, perhaps a Flying Geese pattern. If you border this with a strong darker color to 'contain' it, I think it could work.

I am going to try adding an old photo of a quilt I made some time back of a pattern called Broken Dishes, I used a dark large border I think worked well.

I used my horse as a prop, it is a full bed size, hand quilted.

That is gorgeous MadMax! It would look nice with just a variety of color and patterns. I love the border that you put on it. It should be fun to plan it and move the pieces around until it looks like you want it too….then sew and quilt... and enjoy before and after!

Ok, here is what I decided. After agonizing while staring at my pile of fabrics, I finally decided just to cut some and put them on the table in the double irish chain pattern. I'm trying to use up small pieces of fabric that I have. Know what? It makes no difference what fabric you use, or what hues you use. Once you stand back, all you see is the chain pattern. Whew. What a relief. So I've been cutting and sewing all day. Each block will be 7 1/2 inches square. I've got 7 of the pieces blocks already done and 5 of the alternate blocks. And I've got a ton of pieces cut so tomorrow I can just sit and sew for a while before I have to pick up the rotary cutter. I'm just going to stack all the blocks until I have enough and then start strip piecing.

Sounds like a plan!

I am terrible about using all different fabrics. I can't help myself; I seem to want every square different. The Irish Chain might satisfy that terrible urge of mine, but still have an orderly look. Great idea.

I love everyone's Irish Chains! Good idea, Dixie Belle. You are so industrious and work so quickly, I'm impressed.

Charley::: In my above posted quilt, I used 12 different prints combined with solids(red, blue, brown) and as said, played around with the placings until I was pleased.

Attaching a photo of another using triangles, it is based on the Drunkards Path pattern but used triangles instead, looking at it from a distance changes the appearance, also using a solid and a print. I hand quilted clam shells, and quilted hearts (that form a star in the middle) and feathers in the white blocks. It is bed sized.

I can't quilt this size anymore, have to stick to lap size!

green quilt 2 (2).jpeg

green quilt 1 (2).jpeg

Mad Max....I LOVE that quilt. And see, that's what I like, a two tone quilt. They are so striking. Don't be giving me any ideas!!! But I REFUSE to buy any more fabric until I use up some of this stash that I currently have. Years ago, when I started my Grandmother's Flower Garden (for a king sized bed, nonetheless) I decided I would use three different fabrics for each flower and I wouldn't repeat a single fabric anywhere in the quilt. I would go to the fabric store and literally by 1/8 of a yard of 50 fabrics. So now I have all small fabrics that I really want to use.

I used up a ton of material doing a scrap quilt for my mom, she liked it so much she suggested that I make quilts for everyone in the family. I went thru my stash and it looks like a trip to the fabric stores. Not much left! Shopping is going to be such a chore. lol

I've been cutting and sewing, and cutting and sewing.......for days now and I'm not even close to having all my blocks finished. I finally took pencil to paper and figured out why it seems like I'm forever cutting little squares. It's because I need 1699 little 2" squares of fabric to make the quilt top. Plus 62 pieces that are 2" x 5" and 31

5" x 8" pieces. Guess I should have calculated this BEFORE I started making blocks, huh? I cut and I cut and I cut and I keep running out of little squares. Oh well, it keeps me busy. Of course my dining room table is a mess with little stacks of fabric everywhere. What was I thinking????

Dixie_Belle -

Where are you at with this quilt? Did you finish the top?

Would love to see what you have done so far.

So beautiful, I am sure she must love it. your quilting is impressive and the colors are like jewels..

Love it. Wish I had those quilting skills, still stuck in straight line quilting (I only machine quilt, no patience for handwork).

Latest posts

Back