Judge accused me of drawing dorsal stripe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was just our local club show, non-sanctioned. But the judge was an AMHR carded judge. This in no way is a reflection on the club...just the judge. Many people at the show said how bad they felt about what happened.

Probablly was having a bad day and needed some one to pick on so he decided it was poor you; I mean really if the dorsal stripe was real or not what would that have gained you so why do it? Just assinine that he would even make a statement like that, IMO it made him look a jack a#*

I think I would still report what happened to AMHR. Since he is a carded judge, his actions still reflect on the registry. We have had carded judges at our county fair, and believe me, if they pulled anything so rude and unprofessional, it would be heard about. Even those who do not own registered animals but enjoy showing them at these local and fair shows deserve the same professional courteous treatment as those of us showing through the sanctioned shows.

This is SO Wrong! the nerve of him. I hope you file a complaint or whatever you have to do to voice your displeasure. You are certainly due a public apology and a refund. Just this type of thing is how someones reputation can be totally ruined so I hope anyone who heard what he said to you understands it was not true. I would not let him get away with that. I would be livid...gosh this makes me so mad and I wasn't even there lol. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still trying to wrap my head around this one. I know that the rules are different from club to club and across the different breed organizations. I have had judges touch my horses before e.g. move his forelock away from his eyes to see his face, run their hand over the topline, I even had a judge at a fair show open my filly's mouth herself and inspect the teeth. I have not shown the rated circuit in some time, so am unfamiliar as to whether or not he could have just touched the stripe to see for him self. As that would have made sense. Regardless, his attitude was unacceptable for one it was a sign of poor sportsmanship. I would expect the judge to lead by example and that was utterly unprofessional. Secondly, I would expect a judge to have the common knowledge about breed characteristic and coloring to be a carded judge at this level. It seems like a rookie mistake to not know what a dorsal stripe looks like or even is! I am so sorry that your show ended like that. Your horse is absolutely gorgeous and in no way looks "panted" what a stupid remark he made.

Makes me wonder how many other horses he refused to place or placed low because he mentally "accused" the person of painting markings on their horse. If he did it once I'm sure he's done it before and will again. That's not fair and he should be called on it.

default_nono.gif

Wow...I don't show, but this is horrible. I'm so sorry, this has happened.

Googled it. I have a friend who went out and got a nice show shirt for her very first AMHR show. The shirt had glitter on it. A small amount got on her horse - obviously nothing she intended to do. This same judge stopped beside her in her very first class and told her glittering her horse was against the AMHR rules!

I'm always trying to warn people about not having glitter on their show shirts and I get "poo-pooed" each time.

Glitter is one of those things that most ASPC/AMHR judges have a zero tolerance stance on. Some of the biggest name handers in the business have been dq'd for glitter transfer from their clothes to their horse. Never, ever wear anything with glitter on it if you are showing AMHR!

A good dose of hairspray usually helps with glitter not falling of jackets..

Googled it. I have a friend who went out and got a nice show shirt for her very first AMHR show. The shirt had glitter on it. A small amount got on her horse - obviously nothing she intended to do. This same judge stopped beside her in her very first class and told her glittering her horse was against the AMHR rules!
I borrowed a friend's jacket for Centrals last year and all I did was try and brush glitter off my BLACK horse. Never again. Shame, it is a STUNNING jacket!

Even with spray I've seen a horse nudge the person while waiting for a class and the glitter get all over it's nose.

I've warned about that and had a newbie come on and say it's fine don't worry about it. It can and does happen and is such a shame.

Sequins & beads are the way to go!
default_smile.png

I would guess AMHR won't be able to do anything since it wasn't an AMHR carded show, but I would write a letter to the show management, AMHR's Licensed Official Committee, and the judge and treat it as a learning experience. Please keep in mind that minis have colors not found in "big" horses so that stripe might be unfamiliar to him.

We need a large pool of judges, so we don't need to alienate any, so please take this as a teachable moment, even though it cost you. I would suggest getting documentation on that stripe from a vet and keep it with you for the future.

Jody, I mean no offense as I know you are a caring person, but I strongly disagree with you on this one.

As mentioned in the original post, this was her mare's last show, so there will be no next time for this horse. I don't know Deb, but I get the strong impression that she is an experienced exhibitor and as such is unlikely to need such an unpleasant "teachable moment." I can understand being suspicious and speaking up, but he should have given her a chance to defend herself and her horse. With such rude, unprofessional and unsportsmanlike behavior, even if AMHR had no judges, this "gentleman" should never be considered for future hire. I realize that I am of absolutely no importance to AMHR, but now that I have seen this judge's name, I will remember and skip any show where he is officiating. I imagine many here will do the same.

I see no teachable moment in this experience--not much of a learning experience there!--other than learning that this particular judge isn't worth showing under. Yes we need a large pool of judges but that pool does not need to include a judge with a bad attitude...there are a few judges that we would be better off without. Shows do better to hire good judges, because a bad judge does make people stay away.

Its sucks that a judge did this and unfortently you did poorly at the show because of an opinion... I kinda had this happen too but diff situation however same. I took a skinny horse to a AMHR show 3 yrs ago. Got a bad rep for it... This was my fault truely... BUT it didnt stop me from showing even tho I was talked about from everyone including the judges. Im my case it was my fault... I messed up then, this yr I took reserve champion with that same horse. BUT what Im trying to say is it happened, ya cant fix it, keep your chin up, and keep enjoying your horse and showing! The next judge is different. Folks forget what they hear... and who cares what anyone said!

Im not sure if it was your last show ever or for the yr, but altho folks do/say hurtfull things...forget it and you keep having fun with your baby(s)!

Shes very beautiful and good luck in the future! It dose go away!

Please keep in mind that minis have colors not found in "big" horses so that stripe might be unfamiliar to him.
Ummm.... there are NO colours in minis that cannot also be found in big horses. The mare in question appears to be a silver dun or silver bay dun. You can find those in Icelandic horses and I am sure there are other examples as well. Any judge ignorant enough of genetics to think that such a dorsal stripe would be painted on - does not deserve his card.

We need a large pool of judges, so we don't need to alienate any
What benefit is he as a judge to AMHR? Apparently he has said other odd things as well. Yes, he should be reported! I do not understand why such things shuld be quietly swept under the rug.

I can think of another AMHR judge/trainer who lectured an exhibitor that her multi-supreme champion mare was sickle-hocked and had a ewe neck (not) and then went on and placed the mare first anyway. That same judge/trainer also badmouthed other trainers and one of their main clients at that same show. IMO this kind of unprofessional behavior should not be tolerated. A judge is representing AMHR or AMHA or ASPC - and why would any of those organizations wish to be represented that way?

I agree completely with Suzanne; hard to fathom why anyone would defend such boorishness on any basis...and I DID show, a good bit and successfully. NO organization ultimately benefits from the 'services' of such an unprofessional individual, and such actions should NOT be tolerated...weed them out and keep the KNOWLEDGEABLE, FAIR, IMPARTIAL, genuine, professionals!!

Latest posts

Back