keep black horses coat black after clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyluva97

Reaction score
hi,

just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to keeping a black horses coat black after they are clipped, but without dying them. also, how would you go about dying their mane without it going everywhere?

thanks
default_yes.gif

Dye, then clip. That way you clip off any boo boos.

Clip early if you need the color to grow back in. Time of year also affects how black a black is or how golden a palomino. Shorter summer coat has more color in the shaft by the skin than long winter hair.

When I'm getting ready to show my black horses, I bring them into the barn or indoor, I clip them, dye their mane and tail, and exercise them in the indoor in a round pen till the show. The sun will beach out their coats, unless they of course a true non-fadng black.

It is not acceptable to dye anything other than the mane and tail, and then only back to the original colour- ie no turning a grey mane and tail black!!!

If you can be patient the colour will come back, as the year progresses.

thanks for the tips! i don't really want to dye him, because it becomes to expensive and it is a hastle to do it. The hard thing is, where i live most people dye their black horses coats so they are really dark. His mane now has brown tips because he is a baby but i was planning on dying his mane and tail just to even it out whilst it was growing out. How long do you think it would take to grow back out to black after clipping, i just got him a few days ago and i have clipped his head and neck and it is like a darkish grey with black points around his eyes and muzzle.

Here in the states we are not allowed to dye their coats, but are allowed to so call highlight the mane and tails. so many of us when getting ready to show will pull our horses in and color their mane and tails. dark horses can be turned out at night after the sun goes down, then brought back in to stop the sun bleaching.

thanks for that
default_smile.png
i might try that next time i clip him, let him out of a night but keep him in of a day. would it work the same if i just put a day rug on him, so the sun is not directly on him?

Nope, they really need to stay in out of the sun to keep from bleaching.
default_smile.png
My show horses are in days during the summer and turned out at night. My black horse is also on Black As Knight (contains paprika as Al mentioned). Black oil sunflower seeds help with gloss and color depth too.

FYI, if you plan to show him some of the ingredients like paprika will test, he would need to be taken off a bit before showing.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get rugs that are sunscreens- I am thinking they would work. Pretty sure your rules would preclude dying the body- it seems pretty universal and would be a welfare thing, I think, as much as anything..

thanks for that
default_smile.png
alot of people dye their horses over here, in the rules, it doesn't say anything about not being allowed to dye them. I personally have never dyed a horse and i don't plan to but many do. The only time we are not allowed to dye the horses body is at the nationals for the American classes, the rest you are allowed to.
default_smile.png

I have a mostly white tobiano splash guy with a blue roan colored spot, and a black head. He only goes outside after dark to prevent bleaching. On my big guys, (a chestnut paint and a leopard app) we use a high quality fly spray on with sunscreen. I like "endure." Works well on them. Idk about a black show horse, bit the chestnut ho rallies for the occasional 4h show doesn't bleach.

Back