Predator strategy - guard donkey

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and apparently Sam has concluded bad things happen in closed in places. It took three to get him in my trailer, and it took three to get him in his stall the first night. Ever try to move a donkey that won't be moved?

Second night, it took my wife and myself (and a couple carrots of course).

Third night, it took me, and my wife tapping his rear rhythmically with a longe whip handle... and carrots at the end.

Last night he walked in with me holding the stall door open. And carrots of course.

I need to buy more carrots.

default_laugh.png
Those long ears are for sure different than horses with a whole different level of intelligence. When they decide to trust you they are great but make them decide you are not worthy of their trust and you have real problems. When I owned the small mule he defended his herd from a marauding porcupine (which was just minding its own business, bumbling along I'm sure lol)and cam back from pasture with a nose full of quills for putting it where it wasn't wanted. Unlike a horse, when I pulled those quills (lost count in the 30s somewhere) the most he struggled was to turn his head and squeeze his eyes shut each time I yanked another out. Any horse I've ever had to do that with (or seen it done) is either tranqed first or gets very agitated. But when I first got Festus (love the name Samwise btw perfect for a donkey
default_smile.png
) he had a reputation for being hard to lead and indeed we had issues if he was allowed to forge ahead for some time but by the end of the first year he was pretty easy to deal with, I think by then he had us trained better lol. Have fun with your new addition.

Yeah, there is a question who is really in charge. With a horse, you gotta settle that question. With a donkey... would be interesting to see how that strategy would work for ya...

I ask, he thinks about it... I need to make it worth his while. Then he is quite agreeable. Getting him into the stall was not optional (safety) the first night, but the truth is, when he finally went in he had decided to yield. I suppose a better plan would be, give him the time he needs to decide what I ask is really OK.

Seems more like a marriage really. A cooperation among equals.
default_thumbup.gif

What's amusing is, how our 29" yearling is turning out to be the boss of big ol' Sam. I just wanna go out there and tell him, BUTT the little sonofagun and stand your ground buddy! Oh well, that's theirs to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have a new friend! Donkeys are awesome, but they do not speak "horse" I ended up buying another to keep mine company as she was SO lonely. I am also not convinced that Sam is not just going to end up as cat food, I really hope not as you have obviously bonded! My second Donkey was an even better guard than the first, btw, as the first was, like yours, a rescue and had been on a chain, so had given up trying to chase things. The other one was a hoot- flapped the ears, honked the honk and had a large and only playful but still dangerous, dog out of the field in two seconds flat. The broodmares just stood and watched her go past with their eyebrows raised (I had Arabs at the time, not Minis) they were not bothered by the noise as they had got used to it with the first Donkey.

As I said I don't think Sam will be any good against Cougars but he will be a BIG friend to you, and they are so intelligent.

You are right. You can't tell or make donkeys do anything. You have to reason with them and then allow them time to make the right decision. As they bond with you more and more, they will trust you and be quicker to do what you want them to do. I agree with Jane that you need another donkey. Just because your boy didn't care for the other donkey in rescue doesn't mean he wouldn't love a donkey buddy. My little gelded Jack loved the mini boys but when I turned him out with the donkey jennys, he was so much happier because they "speak" donkey. If you decided to get another donkey, they'd still be good company for the minis.

Jane, I don't think FoxHaven's donkey will end up being eaten by the mountain lions. He has the most awesome barn and quite the fencing set up. He's a really good donkey/mini parent in looking after their needs and safety.

Here's to no mountain lion encounters and only run ins with the gorgeous elk!

Thanks for the kind words!

Sam is less likely to be cat food than the minis. His role is to guard during the day, (all are put up during the evenings) and from what I have observed he knows his job. He is actually quite maternal... especially to Luke the annoying yearling. Watches him like a hawk when he is out but Sam is in the stall (sometimes Luke has a different agenda in the evenings... LOL). We took the minis for their daily walk on the mile loop yesterday, and Sam let out a glorious bray or three as we went out of sight... And Legend answered with several whinneys. To which Sam answered again. He was delighted when we returned!

The thing about Sam is, he was raised with minis, not donkeys. He is imprinted on them. At the rescue he much preferred minis to other donkeys. I am discovering that Sam is quite the rare find - Longhopes Donkey Rescue said that if I found one such as Samwise it would be rare indeed, and a good match.... and I am finding that to be so. They didn't have one in their 65 rescues, but had seen it. The gal I talked to also had rescued a donkey who imprinted on horses and took her home as a horse companion because she really didn't get along with the other donkeys, but loves her horse buddy.

I cannot believe how generous God has been all through this great adventure!

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll find that once he is settled in, he'll walk along right with you when you take the minis on a walk. You won't have to reason with him. He'll just be your shadow especially when you have his buddies along. He'll love going with you. Sounds like a happy trio you have.

Back