I have been nervous about mountain lions in our area. My plan, to date, has been:
1) 6 ft. high electric fence - hardly a deterrent for a determined lion
2) Putting Legend and Luke up at night, turning them out after sunrise
3) Making neighbors aware of the horses, training them on bringing horses in in the event of emergency (plan on a 'horse warming' party including BBQ and KY Derby inspired drinks.... we live in a great rural neighborhood)
4) worrying every time I go to work.
4) doesn't seem like a plan.
So I started asking around, and dogs (not an option, we have 7 and that is quite enough - they are show dogs, not stable mates to the horses) and donkeys are a recurrent theme for upping the protection a bit.
As I have learned about donkeys (mostly from Long Hopes Rescue here in Colorado) it seems a jennet would be my best bet for protection, but not a great combination with a stallion and gelding mini pair! A gelded jack is my only option, but I would need to find a proven guardian as they sometimes aren't as good. The other downside is, even gelded jacks can play rough, which might be an injury risk for our mini horses.
What say ye? Thoughts, experience with this?